flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGG design,

I am working on PowerBot Dice
Social
FaceBook and I'm going to have alot Questions. Right now Marketing ideas and Production options (stretch goals) come to mind.

Official Website

I'll need help with The Rules and also how to teach the game at a Convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What size should PowerBot Dice be? You will roll 2 D6 for the game.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
19mm Dice are big enough, regular dice are only 16mm.
65.4% 17
22mm Dice maybe giant but since there are only 2 in hand it's great.
34.6% 9
Other
0.0% 0
Voters 26
This poll is now closed.   26 answers
Poll created by aVoidGames
Closes: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Armstrong
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanogNellows wrote:
Looks interesting!

Thanks John,

I had 2 other kinda threads related to this effort and Now I made this to consolidate any info regarding this project (I hope). I got it bookmarked and hope to add value to the design forum as I go through my first KS process.

BTW I had to drop two BGG contests for this effort.
Sorry contest leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Kick Starter Page. I am creating events that are time based battles on the page. It's a thematic time based vote. It is more work (money) but should be worth it. Give me insight on this idea.
Do it! I think this is a great new Idea.
Don't do it, it's not worth the effort.
Don't do it, buyers might not like it.
I don't care, but I do care enough to vote here.
      18 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I really liked about king of tokyo was how hefty the dice were. The heavy rattling of the dice complimented the theme of giant monsters stomping around really well. That's why I'm for larger dice for a game about robots clashing.

Maybe consider making it so you can roll them into the box as well, something to keep the dice on the table when things get tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sakket wrote:
Maybe consider making it so you can roll them into the box as well, something to keep the dice on the table when things get tense.

It will get intense.

You're thinking the tiny tracking markers are dead meat to Angry players. I think the box idea is a great FAIL safe! insiders rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting ready for the Gam3rCon!! (near SDCC)

So hear is a new issue... these are 19mm dice (40) I want 22mm (50 maybe).
Does anyone have some layout ideas. I kinda wanted to set icons next to each color. Imagine a full color spectrum.

EDIT: the "V" in Quariors insert is a great solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at these 2 cards... Guess what one I want to use.

For the Beta I might just use the info design because "Ain't nobody got time for dat",... to learn my game.

Note the title of the dice face is under construction because of theme. and conflicting action, yuck.
Maybe I'm ruining the intended Clean "cool" experience. They need to know what I am trying to do when they first look.

Guys feel free to jump in here I might not use your info but it helps as a rudder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller / Less prominent stars -- thise are just starting positions, right?

I like the orientation of the left hand card:
-- Energy intuitively goes up/down in the same direction
-- similarly, left usually means "less", and right means "more than left"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Smaller / Less prominent stars -- thise are just starting positions, right?

I like the orientation of the left hand card:
-- Energy intuitively goes up/down in the same direction
-- similarly, left usually means "less", and right means "more than left"

Now all I need is 100,000 Strormtowers to play this game in their sleep. You nailed it.

So for you, the rules on the card are clutter? do you see it the same way I do?... My test got this feed back yet NO ONE made a miss step while playing. EDIT: well one guy tried to RECHARGE in the middle of a turn. I loved error because it meant he wanted to live (he cared)!

I am considering using this mess (card 1) for the beta tests.

Designers insight.. The left layout gives the draw down to dead for both "Shields" and "Energy". The reason I designed it differently (right card) was the metaphor of the shields protecting the "Energy" Core. With the loss of no death indication for energy (health). I almost got all the terms done FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit indifferent about having rules text on the card. I wasn't sure if it's an ability only that particular card allows. There's a thread on Iconography on the forum today, and I'll stand by what I said there: I don't expect game designers to have skills in graphics.

But I appreciate the effort in making things intuitive.

So, going back to rules text: I'd rather have iconography.

If indigo meant Energy
and
If meant Shields

then ...

Reboot: -1 indigo == +4

or something like that ... I'd tell a graphics designer to make it work.

As for the right hand card... I would have laid it out differently (but then again, I'm no graphic arts designer) to portray your "metaphor"

Two or three rows, all at the top of the card. First row are shields, Second and succeeding rows for energy:

... indigo indigo indigo indigo

... which might look cleaner, even with rules text below it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I'm a bit indifferent about having rules text on the card. I wasn't sure if it's an ability only that particular card allows. There's a thread on Iconography on the forum today, and I'll stand by what I said there: I don't expect game designers to have skills in graphics.

But I appreciate the effort in making things intuitive.

So, going back to rules text: I'd rather have iconography.

If indigo meant Energy
and
If meant Shields

then ...

Reboot: -1 indigo == +4

or something like that ... I'd tell a graphics designer to make it work.

As for the right hand card... I would have laid it out differently (but then again, I'm no graphic arts designer) to portray your "metaphor"

Two or three rows, all at the top of the card. First row are shields, Second and succeeding rows for energy:

... which might look cleaner, even with rules text below it.

Storm Thanks for this great post!!!
The text helped more then once in the Alpha/Beta testing (I taught the game). I don't know if I will have "helper text" on the final design.. As for the icons I will lean on the custom markers to Identify what you are moving.

The gam3rcon testing was really good. I could use Rules help big time because I want to send this out for review(s).

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules... HELP ME guys

I'll make a Video to show how messed up my rules are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait. So. Each player has 2 dice, which they roll. If a player rolls double, that player keeps both dice. Otherwise, they select one die to keep, and the other die goes to an opponent. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Wait. So. Each player has 2 dice, which they roll. If a player rolls double, that player keeps both dice. Otherwise, they select one die to keep, and the other die goes to an opponent. Right?

Nate ty,

Their dice are their own. Everyone rolls their 2 dice..
The offensive player uses (selects) one of their 2 dice for heal, use or upgrade. the other die will go unused.
after that is resolved then the offensive player will track others by selecting one of 2 dice for each player for the purpose of "Character card tracking" the other will go unused. In the case of doubles the Defensive player gets a small bonus, and the Offensive player will not have a tracking choice.
Dbl Hit upgrade one level.
Dbl Power upgrade one level.
Dbl Life upgrade one Shield (horizontal).
Dbl Combo, there is a unique action to take + character card tracking control goes to the defender for this roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll work on my pitch this is for developers

My "Energy" was +plus one because of the last demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my Micro Badges completed!
mbmbmbmbmb

PowerBot Dice will have a theme song like a cartoon and also a ring tone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be dense. After trying a few times, I still can't understand the first few rules, or how tracking works, or what tracking means.

I want to understand the play so I can give feedback, but can't tell if the wording needs upgrading or if I'm too thick to understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludus Rex wrote:
I must be dense. After trying a few times, I still can't understand the first few rules, or how tracking works, or what tracking means.

I want to understand the play so I can give feedback, but can't tell if the wording needs upgrading or if I'm too thick to understand it.

I am having others work on the rules, I won't stop re-wording until it's clear.
So with that said...
The "tracking" if associated to the character card (see image below). After all dice are rolled at the same time. The person on offense will Attack, Upgrade or Add Energy with one of their 2 dice rolled.

They will then select one of 2 dice for each opposing player. the opposing player will "Track" by moving a marker of the same type +1 on the players tracking card.
In this image below "Power" has been track 2 times. and will "MAX OUT" if selected again. NOTE: I added an "X" to the design for the final locations it is the MAXED OUT location(s).

More info: When any one of the defensive player hits the first "MAXED OUT" location your turn is over, but you will continue tracking the other players so they don't lose tracking value. The other players will then Bank one of the tracked types into their cards and upgrade that card.
Life: Shield Value ONLY (Not Energy) (potential 3)
Hit: 1 to 1 mapping (potential 2)
Power: 1 to 1 mapping (potential 3)

When the next turn begins all defensive players will reset their Character Tracking cards to the zero location (on the logo/icons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Need another video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracking turns
had 6 you tube videos... need to re-do them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CO-OP: Should this game have a co-op mode?
I could do it with Life point adjustments, new rules, helpful tracking.
Poll
CO-OP?
Should this game have a co-op design concept. Currently they are stand alone PowerBot fighters.
Don't do it: Distracting from a solid simple design
A few Co-Op Bosses: Separate the Boss PowerBot from the regular PowerBots
2 for 1: Make each PowerBot regular with the option for Boss mode on the flip side.
      9 answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play'n at the store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you guys think? no explaination on how to use each card yet but... here.. can you figure out how a turn works?

POWERBOT DICE
Each player brings to the table a matching pair of unique colored dice and 5 PowerBot cards, 4 type cards and one Character Tracking Card.

GAME OBJECTIVE: Become the last PowerBot standing after all others have lost their Energy.

SETUP
Set the players 4 stat cards down in a row (from left to right: Life, Hit, Power, Combo) and the character card below closest to self. set 4 markers on the starting position stars. Set the 3 tracking markers on the Character Tracking Card over the matching logos.

ADD VISUAL

Turn Order: Youngest player goes first; turns run clockwise

ROUND
Step one: ROLL then Select one for self
All players roll their two dice. After all dice are rolled. The player on offence will select one of their own 2 dice (or both dice in the case of doubles) to use for themselves.

Step two: TRACK others
For each opposing player you select ONLY one of their two dice, that player will track the matching type (+1) on their character tracking card. selecting a Combo die gives tracking control over to the owner of the dice.

Step three: END TURN
If any defensive player’s character tracking card has hit its limit (MAXED OUT “X”) then the turn has ended.

If the player’s turn has not ended go back to STEP ONE

Step four: UPGRADE: After the turn is over (between turns) all defensive player(s) MAY upgrade one card. Select one Character Tracking Card type (Shield, Hit, or Power) that was built up during past turn and upgrade equal value into the matching card type. The value is 1 to 1, this means you can only upgrade the value you have tracked (where your marker is located). Life to Shields (ONLY), Hit (MAXED OUT value is 2), Power (MAXED OUT value is 3). For instance, the turn ends and you have not tracked Hit at all on your “CTC”. You can not upgrade your Hit card because the upgrade value is zero. It is not mandatory to use ALL or ANY of the upgrade value.

Step Five: RECHARGE SHIELDS (IMPORTANT!) Between turns ONLY. before YOUR first roll you MAY divert one Energy to gain 4 Shield strength. Whether on Offense or Defense as long as you do not drop your first roll of a turn you can recharge.

CHARACTER TRACKING CARD (CTC): Tracking is done while waiting your turn (defense). After rolling your dice the player on offense will select one of your 2 dice you will then move the matching type on this card to the right +1. If you move on to the final location (spots with the “X”) it will end the offensive players turn. In the case of doubles there is no tracking choice unless an action is used to re-roll or change die therefore wait till you are told to track.

MAKE SURE YOU TRACK, DON’T ROLL: Do not roll until you have been tracked on your “CTC”, Otherwise you are giving the offensive player a free roll and losing possible Upgrade value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.