Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I finally got around to trying Lonely Mountain with my recently constructed "super uber" outlands deck and got absolutey Pwnd :/

After going back to a (dwarves of course) deck that is not 4 sphere and doing some "burglaring" research I learned some things that make the quest manageable:

1) Burglaring is easier if you have less spheres and similar costing cards.

2) Burglaring is MUCH easier if you understand that the action window is "open" after you reveal the "burgle card to match." You don't discard this card, you "peek" at it and it goes back on top. cards like Daeron's rune, king under the mountain, Gleowine etc can be used to grab the auto match card. This thread discusses the topic more [url]http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/971351/possible-riddle-mecha...
[/url]

3) Go ahead and use bilbo's ability to grab the ring on the first turn AND use the ring to get the pipe resource back. Net cost is 1 threat.

4) If you want an extra turn (or 2) to build your board, consider failing the quest in stage 2. Smaugs "counter" doesn't move when you fail and you don't burgle (failed burgle means smaug attacks). Note you HAVE to burgle if you succeed at questing.

5) Bring chump blockers. When Smaug wakes up (stage3) he will be killing and killing and killing. You can use bilbo and the ring to defend one of these for three threat but after that somsone is going to die. Smaug has a sick 60% chance to make extra attacks which means a 36% chance at three attacks and just over 21% chance at 4 attacks (5 attacks is just under 13% but at this point I usually just throw in the towel). Things like Thicket of spears won't even stop this onslaught (if I understand the immune to player card effects properly [url]http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/970104/immune-to-player-card...
[/url]

6) Bring a way to do some damage. Smaug has 8 shields to get past and damaging him makes the quest more manageable.

7) Bring threat reduction. You will be using the ring and will probably need to dial it back!

Good luck treasure hunters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Starry
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. I just made my first run at this quest last night and it kind of made my brain explode. I've got two core sets and both Hobbit Sagas so my card base is somewhat limited. I'm using a Tactics/Lore deck with Gimli/Thalin/Ori (it's a tweaked version of the first suggested deck on the back page of the "Over Hill And Under Hill" booklet). I've been using these heroes through the entire Hobbit Saga in order to use the Treasure cards obtained in the first quest (Sting has come in very handy) and was able to defeat the previous quest ("Flies and Spiders") twice in a row with little difficulty.

The combination of Smaug and the Lonely Mountain location are really testing my questing power this time especially since neither "Radagast's Cunning" or "Secret Path" will negate those two cards' threat. I was thinking of using the Hobbit version of Gandalf in order to both Quest and Attack with him (adding to a pumped up Gimli with attached weapons), but that leaves me with no threat reduction. So it looks like Radagast is out (since there are no substantial enemies other than Smaug) and I need to add in "Ravens of the Mountain" to help make progress. Also, most of my Tactics events can go and I'll need to load up with every possible ally card to fill out my deck instead. "Gondorian Spearman" will make a great chump blocker as he'll tag a hit on Smaug just before getting sizzle fried and "Sting" should hopefully work in much the same way before putting on "Bilbo's Magic Ring" to negate the dragon's first attack.

I'm going to take a couple more shots at it, but am thinking I may have to resort to Easy Mode to get through this quest with my continuing group of Dwarven heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dave - I don't think you can use the defense action of Sting on Smaug. Also the spearman's defense response I think fails. Basically nothing works UNLESS it "buffs" your character. For example the extra axes you get from Sting do work.

I'm not familiar with easy mode but i suspect this quest will still be hard with the cards you have. Since the release of Dain Ironfoot, the designers have tried to keep the game challenging with his force multiplier considered for a 2 player game. Also it sounds like you have no Erebor Battlemaster or khazad! Khazad! for damage.

I'd say go straight to easy mode and play as if a phantom friend has a readied Dain cross board(+1 wp and +1 ax for all dwarfs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I edited the OP to remove the lonely mountain from being able to grab the "auto match" card. The action specifically states the next card becomes the "burgle target match." Thus using lonely mountain is inferior to other card drawing methods and it uses precious pipe resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Starry
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grandmartoni wrote:
Dave - I don't think you can use the defense action of Sting on Smaug. Also the spearman's defense response I think fails. Basically nothing works UNLESS it "buffs" your character. For example the extra axes you get from Sting do work.

I'm not familiar with easy mode but i suspect this quest will still be hard with the cards you have. Since the release of Dain Ironfoot, the designers have tried to keep the game challenging with his force multiplier considered for a 2 player game. Also it sounds like you have no Erebor Battlemaster or khazad! Khazad! for damage.

I'd say go straight to easy mode and play as if a phantom friend has a readied Dain cross board(+1 wp and +1 ax for all dwarfs).

I see your point regarding "Sting" and "Gondorian Spearman" (i.e., Smaug is 'Immune to Player Card Effects'). Dude, you're harshing my buzz.

I'm without Dain and the Battlemaster and Khazad, so this will indeed be a tough nut to crack without proxying something or other. I'd previously managed to defeat all four previous Hobbit Saga quests using just my 2 Core + Hobbit Saga cards (although I had to resort to easy mode to take down the Hill Trolls in the first scenario) and was hoping to get through the rest of the Saga this way as well. I'll probably take two or three more shots at it before I throw in the towel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.