Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say that a new turn is starting and there are three cards left in the draw pile. They have to be dealt out before the discards are shuffled to create a new draw pile, right? So who gets them? The rules don't seem to say. Do you deal them out one at a time? If so, which player do you start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could roll for it...no official ruling I am aware of.

I just deal first to the person with least cards, or to non-dealer if tied (I always deal, my game you know).

Of course, that means both sides know some of the other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, it's probably a good idea to do it consistently one way or the other, and a better idea to tell any new opponent you sit down with what your system is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Of course, that means both sides know some of the other cards.

Actually that's always true no matter how the cards are dealt out--Every card I don't get I know he did.

I generally use your system: First, equalize the cards held by each player and continue dealing out one card at a time. I start with the other player when I deal--But I am not going to complain if my opponent uses a similar practice when he deals (which would give me "his" cards.) Since I don't know what the cards are, it doesn't matter to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have asked the designers this question, as I thought that it would important for tournament play. They have declined to answer.

I start by alternately dealing the remaining cards, starting with the USSR. I don't "equalize" first, and in fact don't know what I think of that idea.

But there has been no official answer. Any consistent method would be OK for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are consistant then you can make your own way of doing it.

In general the standard practice for card games is for the dealer to deal first to the player on his left (or in the case of a 2 player game the other player) and then go clockwise around the table with each player getting one card at a time with the dealer getting the final card. Never deal to yourself first but always last. Every time it is time for a new deal of the cards the honor of being the dealer passes to the next person at the table to the left.

Mind you those are the strict rules of card dealing. If you're playing poker in Vegas or in a Bridge tournament that is the way cards are dealt and no other form is accepted for the most part. However for your own games at home you can either take turns being the dealer or assign one player to be the dealer for the entire game. Either way works as long as you start with whatever your rule for dealing is to be and stick with it for the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Carsoin
California
flag msg tools
If the USSR player goes first, I think that establishes a precedent that the USSR gets the first card. Dealing cads implied alternating between players.

David "the preacher" Wilson

"I met a gypsy woman who asked me if I wanted my palm read. I'm not into fortune telling so I said, "no, thank you" in a gracious manner. I may not understand fortune tellers, but as she walked away she dropped a can of red spray paint."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.