Subject: [WIP] One Minute Missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
I was planning on entering this game into the Hidden Role/Bluffing Design Contest, but it's technically not allowed. But I decided to upload it as a PnP anyway! By the way, good luck to all those competing. 'Hidden Role' is one of my favorite mechanisms and I can't wait to see what game wins!

Now onto the game!

Summary
In the distant future...
The largest company in the world, Imperial Inc., is releasing their biggest creation ever out to the public domain. Each player represents a rival company's operative sent to the complex, armed only with a dagger as to not set off the company's alarms, to complete their mission. But it looks like several other rivals from other companies also have a vendetta against this wretched establishment. With only one minute on the clock, who will complete their mission first?

--

Alright, I'll admit it. The theme is tacked on and it could trading in the Mediterranean for all I care. But it seems like taking down massive companies are what the cool kids are doing nowadays, so why not? Besides, the mechanics are what really matter.

Playing the Game
At the beginning of the game each player will be given one Hidden Role card. This tells them their Name, all their WIN conditions, all their LOSE conditions, and how many 'Stabs' of their dagger they have (money is tight in the future). Once all players have looked over their cards and know what their goals are they all go to the center of whatever playing area you're using (preferably outdoors in a backyard or a park so there is plenty of room to run around, but enclosed or with set boundaries) and stand arms length apart. The timer is set for one minute and everyone has until then to meet a single WIN conditions while making sure none of their LOSE conditions are met.

With everyone's WIN and LOSE conditions different, all players will play different. But all will be running around chasing others while screaming in terror as others chase after them. People will be trying to stab certain players with their dagger, while avoid stabs (being tagged) from others .

Once the timer has ran out, you can no longer stab other players and must return to the center of play area. Players will say what their role is and deduce whether or not one of their WIN Conditions were met and/or if one of their LOSE conditions were met. If even ONE of their LOSE conditions were met, they lose that game. Otherwise, they win! As such, there can be multiple winners (and multiple losers) so its usually best to play a couple of game and find an overall winner.

It's really hard to explain this game without showing the roles, so I have included a link below with all the roles you can cut out and play with. Right now its only balanced for 5 players, which is why it is a WIP. You'll need a one minute timer of sorts that emits a loud noise when the time is up. We just use a timer app on phones, but there is probably something better to use.

--
Conclusion
That's about it. In our house whenever people want to play a more active game, this is what we recommend. Its definitely a family game (you wouldn't want to break this out during half-time of Monday Night football with the guys), but it can be played with all ages. It gets really fun when you've played several games with the same group of people and it starts meta gaming upon itself. There is also always the surprise players get when they think someone is a different role from what they really are accidentally win/lose.

Hope you enjoy! I'll be updating this thread as I create different setups for different amounts of players, but in the mean time any and all feedback on the game as-is in its 5 player version would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Links:
Cards (Only 5 and a help sheet): https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1RZL5MC_DHyvne_N58CMm2ePd...

(I'm new to this whole 'uploading PnP games' thing. If there is anything that would help you in downloading, printing, and/or cutting out this game, please feel free to let me know. I made my game with just slips of paper, so I don't know if the ones in the Doc link are the right size or not.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Anderson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting, so it's really a Tag variant? That's cool.

Is the win condition on Spy "Don't get stabbed"? Or can you be stabbed once?

Is there any downside to being stabbed if that's not you lose condition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Wobbles wrote:
Interesting, so it's really a Tag variant? That's cool.

Is the win condition on Spy "Don't get stabbed"? Or can you be stabbed once?

Is there any downside to being stabbed if that's not you lose condition?

Spies can be stabbed once, yes.

In the short-term, there is no downside to being stabbed if its not your lose condition. But if you're playing several rounds of games, it can potentially prevent someone from getting a win by dodging their stab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Anderson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
That might be a better way to word that. Spy Win: "Get through the round without being stabbed more than once"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
That's the wording I was looking for! Thanks, I'll go edit that onto the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Anderson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb

Other clarification:

Assassin
WIN: Stab anyone except the bomber.
Lose: Stabbed by the investigator.

The assassin only gets one stab anyway, so if they stab the bomber and don't win it's the same as losing to stabbing the bomber.

Investigator
WIN: Stab the bomber or the assassin
LOSE: Stabbed by the assassin.

This clarifies that you don't need to do both to win.

These changes also make it so each role has one way to win and one way to lose. Which lets you simplify the rules a bit.

For different amounts of players, have you tried having two of each role and dealing them out? Seems like it would work. Another way might be to do two of each role, then draft them ala Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, the win/lose conditions can get redundant. Only one Win/Lose condition also looks a lot nicer. I've never played Citadels (and I really need to!), but the drafting mechanism looks really nice. I'll have to try that out.

For expanding the game to more players, I was planning on doing something along the lines of what you suggested - adding multiples of the same roles. I'll have to tweak the original roles to account for the new ones, of course, but that's all part of the fun!

Thanks again, Wobbles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking into entering the same competition but found that mine is not suitable in the end either.
Looking back over the rules, however, you only really need to make one change for it to fit in the rules as far as I can see, which is to make it a little more card based. in that case simply issue each player with a set of 5 stab cards each in their own permanently set colour which they can then hand over to people within the time limit.
I am sure that the timer would not be counted as a component as, like you said, it is easy enough for people to set timers on their phones now-a-days.
A great game idea. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you a bunch Roxanne! I never thought of doing it as you suggested with just giving cards to one another, but that may work. You would have some 'Stab' cards equal to the number of players, and then some blanks depending on who your character is. You just slide them face down to other players and at the end of the time limit everyone reveals the stab cards given to them. That also makes it a lot easier to track who did what and I could add a lot more roles.

I'll see if I can make the changes before the weekend is over! Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Overhaul!
So I took Roxanne's advice and have revamped the game a bit. New rules below.

Setup
Take the required Character cards and Confrontation cards based upon the number of players you're playing with. Paper-clip the correct number of Confrontation cards to the matching color/character card. Make sure you paper clip it in a way so that it is not apparent which character is which. Mix up the packets of cards and give one randomly to each player. They carefully remove the paperclip, look at their character card, and place their Confrontation cards into their hand, ensuring that the other players do not see any of the cards faces. Once all players are ready to go, flip a sand timer (or any other 1-minute timer) and get ready to go!
Playing the Game:
There are no 'turns'. Players give any amount of their Confrontation cards out to other players in that 1 minute period. They put the card face down and then slide it over to any player of their choice. The receiving player CANNOT look at the card and must leave it face down in front of them. Any other cards players receive this way will go right on top of the other cards in front of them.

Players don't have the choice of what cards are given to them, except for once in the game. For one card given to them they may opt to not put it into their pile and set it aside, making sure they keep it face down.

Game End:
Once time is up or all players are out of confrontation cards, the game is over. Players set aside any remaining Confrontation cards and then reveal the cards in the stack in front of them. They also reveal their Character card. Puzzle out who wins and who loses. There can be multiple winners and multiple losers.

--

Alright, that probably sounded very confusing. Mainly because you guys don't really know what a Confrontation card is. What I'm thinking is this:

Let's take the Assassin character from the base 5 player game. They have '1 stab'. In this game they'd have 1 'Stab' Confrontation card and then X amount of 'Dud' Confrontation cards where X is equal to the number of players besides you. Dud Confrontation cards can't be used to complete win conditions, but they can be used to fulfill other players win conditions (such as the Bomber's). So they are mainly use to bluff. Especially since players have the option of throwing out one card, you'd rather give them a dud card for them to unknowingly throw out, then go in for the kill.

Every player will have Dud cards plus whatever their flavorful Confrontational cards are (Investigate, Defuse, etc.).

I've also created a 4 player version (I think this is as low as I can go):

NAME (NON-DUD CONFRONTATION CARDS) WIN Condition/LOSE condition

Bomber (X) Be activated/Disengaged by Defuser
Defuser (1) Disengage Bomber/Stabbed by Assassin
Assassin (1) Stab anyone but Bomber/Investigated by Detective
Detective (1) Investigate Assassin/Activate Bomber

Activate = Receive card

I'll spend the majority of today devising setups for various numbers of players and hopefully test them out tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Well, darn. I played 2 games of this and it was unlike the original game. Players for the most part just throw cards randomly at each other as there was no real way to pick up on other characters' nuances. Everyone preferred the more active original game since they liked that rush of someone chasing you over receiving a card and not knowing what the heck it was. I am 100% in that camp as well.

I'm going to give up on making a Tabletop version of this game. The mechanic, while interesting, doesn't really lend itself to such a fast paced game. I may use the mechanic in the future for possibly a ClUE-like game since it works O.K., but mostly likely not. Regardless, I'll continue to expand the base game so it can be played with a variety of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have a solution, but it might no longer be a 1 minute game. And maybe that's a good thing?

The concept will support what you want to have: a way of gauging a person's reaction as you approach with what may be a "stab". Or in the case of the Investigator, a way to gauge what other people are doing.

First, we need an abstract way of tracking the "distance between two people." One mechanic I described in a different thread involved dice, but you can make a "slide a token down a track" version; and in the case of the contest, those tracks would be on card(s).

so ... imagine this as a card:

Player 1
vs Distance
Player X ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2 (0)
3 (0)
4 (0)
5 (0)

those "(0)" are not printed on the card, those are just representations of tokens placed on the card. The tokens get moved left/right as people "move" closer or further from each other.

In this case, for example, Player 1 is in Stabbing Distance of Player 3 (distance 1). Player 1 needs to move 1 spot to hit Player 5, or 4 spots to get to Player 4.

Next, you'll need a way of controlling initiative and/or actions. It's hard to gauge reactions if people are able to just "throw cards" at each other. So I think this card version of the game needs to slow the action down.

I'm comfy with using a deck of cards. Customize it if you want, here's the basic gist:
Deal 7 cards to each player.
Each player chooses 1 card.
Simultaneously reveal all chosen cards.
From lowest to highest card, each player gets to perform X actions:

Ace to Five: 1 action.
Six to Ten: 2 actions.
Face Cards: 3 actions.

Actions are :
... You move 1 spot -- meaning, you change the distance between you and ONE other player by 1.
......... or ...........
... You attack someone within distance 1.

repeat 7 times, which will exhaust all cards in hand. Game ends, and you do the scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
That mechanic is really interesting, Stormtower. I think if I were to use it and implement it with the same sort of style as my game, I'd expand the game a bit since it's no longer a real time game and can last as long as a full length board game. Much more design space. The main reason I wanted to expand this game so that it could be in the contest. But I think that this somewhat bigger version of the game would have too many components to be entered into the contest and would take me a long time to play test (even with the extension).

Plus I have a brother who's birthday is coming up and I make him a custom board game every year (among other things, I'm not a TOTAL cheapskate) and I haven't started on it yet. Plus I have an idea for the Solo contest, so I'll be working on that as well.

But regardless, I'm still happy with the base game and its lightness and accessibility. Your mechanic, while cool, seems like it'd be better suited for a different sort of game.

Thanks for the help and good luck in the contest! I love 'Bang!' so I'm interested in seeing how your game plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Lucky
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
This does seem a bit like Covert Action for the more active. With one player wanting to be stabbed/shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.