Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me pick my next game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Lyncha
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I have a bit of spare cash and want a new game to play with the wife(ok if more then 2 players as family and friends drop in to play too)

Currently playing a lot of SW:LCG which my wife and I love

She will also play netrunner but not her first choice, we also went through a puzzle strike phase

If we have more players normally bohnanza and 7 wonders hit the table and enjoyed by all

We like strategy games that offer multiple paths to victory or where you can play different strategies and still have chance of winning

I was thinking maybe Android as it looks interesting, but any other suggestions are very welcome
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few additional questions to narrow down the options:

1. Do you want something more thematic, or does theme not matter so much?
2. What's the time frame you'd like it to fit in?
3. What level of complexity would you like it to be? Do you want it on par with the ones you mentioned, less complex, or a step up?
4. You say you and your wife "love" SW:LCG. Why?

Looking forward to your answer to recommend you something you might like...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLyncha wrote:

I was thinking maybe Android as it looks interesting, but any other suggestions are very welcome


Are you referring to Android? Because that's a beast of a game, with hundreds of rules and a daunting rule book. It will likely take you 6 hours+ on the first play through. I have owned it for quite some time, and haven't been able to get it to the table for those reasons. I would watch some videos (if you haven't already), so you know what you're getting yourself into.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lyncha
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Yes something thematic is important
2. Less than an hour would be good but not totally important
3. I think my wife is at her limit for complexity
4. Well we like the pod style deck building(my wife will make her own decks in this but not in netrunner) and they way the edge battles work. We like you really have to think about which units to attack with and which to leave to defend. And because its Star Wars of course

Looking forward to your suggestions
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lyncha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Poserdisposer wrote:
TheLyncha wrote:

I was thinking maybe Android as it looks interesting, but any other suggestions are very welcome


Are you referring to Android? Because that's a beast of a game, with hundreds of rules and a daunting rule book. It will likely take you 6 hours+ on the first play through. I have owned it for quite some time, and haven't been able to get it to the table for those reasons. I would watch some videos (if you haven't already), so you know what you're getting yourself into.


Yes I am referring to Android. I have watched some videos and read the rule book. I think I might like it, Wife not so sure
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just based on what you're saying, here's three suggestions:

Jaipur - 2 players, but based on the other games you like this strategic trading game sounds like something you two would enjoy.

Hanabi - For more people, another card trading game, but with a distinct twist that makes it a great game for a group of close friends.

Lastly, I'd suggest you look into Summoner Wars as perhaps a next step in complexity and strategy from the Star Wars LCG.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Village
2-4, 2h

Thebes
2-4
90 min

Dominion
2-4
45 min

Carcassonne
2-5
45 min
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lyncha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jaipur is something I've looked at in the past. My local doesn't stock it and every time I've looked at an online store it's been out of stock

Never heard of Hanabi. Will check it out

Summoner Wars I will give a miss. Played a lot of MTG when I was a teen. Not really in to that type of genre anymore

Thanks for your suggestions Victor
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades

Alien Frontiers

Takenoko

Ninjato
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Jaipur

I also suggest:
Biblios (really unique and fun with 2 or more)
Garden Dice (unique theme, entertaining)
Morels (possibly the most relaxing theme ever, 2 player only, lovely game)
Kingsburg (aesthetically pleasing, simple to learn, very fun!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLyncha wrote:
1. Yes something thematic is important
2. Less than an hour would be good but not totally important
3. I think my wife is at her limit for complexity
4. Well we like the pod style deck building(my wife will make her own decks in this but not in netrunner) and they way the edge battles work. We like you really have to think about which units to attack with and which to leave to defend. And because its Star Wars of course

Looking forward to your suggestions


Deck Construction:

Summoner Wars - Pre-constructed.
Mage Wars Arena - Player constructed. What's different here is that all the cards you choose to have in your deck aren't actually in a deck. You can pull it from your spellbook at any time. It's a bit heavier, but it's still not too complex.
Sentinels of the Multiverse - Pre-constructed. This one may be a bit of a stretch because the round-to-round management can be a bit much for some people, as well as the heavy text on the cards. But if that isn't an obstacle for you, this one works well. You choose a hero that is a pre-constructed deck with thematic abilities according to that hero. You choose an environment and a nemesis, and you battle it out. Good interaction because it's a co-op where planning is critical. Complexity is on par. It's not ideal with 2, but you just play with one more hero and choose together what to do with him/her each turn. It will either be a big hit, or a big miss. Make sure you get the newer edition so it includes all the extra chits to help manage all the in-game conditions.

Others:

Escape: The Curse of the Temple - Games take only a few minutes since it's timed. It's thematic. It's good fun, and it's very easy to learn and teach. Highly recommended for your situation.
Finca - Finca isn't "thematic", but it's beautiful components are very engaging.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLyncha wrote:
Summoner Wars I will give a miss. Played a lot of MTG when I was a teen. Not really in to that type of genre anymore


Are you talking the fantasy genre or a game that requires deck building beforehand or CCGs? If you are fine with fantasy games, SW has little to no deck building and isn't a CCG although it does have a number of prebuilt faction decks.

Also, Suburbia. Players build their own suburban area and all of them connect together in regards to certain bonuses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lyncha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for all your suggestions.

We have Sentinels and enjoy it occasionally. Great game.

Anything where sorcery/witchcraft as the main focus is a no go.

Would like takenoko, my local doesn't stock. And is hard to get in Aus. Always sold out.

I have Alien Frontiers on Ipad. I thought it was ok but the misses not a fan

Hmmm suburbia sounds cool. Will check it out

Thanks again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to play Alien Frontiers in real life. IPad versions are good to learn the mechanics but they do not capture the experience. The Game is a blast to play and very tense with a lot of player interaction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Me and my girlfriend really like Merchants & Marauders. A little longer playtime than you asked for but it has a great theme and different paths to victory. 2-4 players.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lyncha
msg tools
mbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Hi! Me and my girlfriend really like Merchants & Marauders. A little longer playtime than you asked for but it has a great theme and different paths to victory. 2-4 players.


That one sounds great. Just checked all the online stores I use in Aus.
All out of stock. Arrrggg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLyncha wrote:
eatem wrote:
Hi! Me and my girlfriend really like Merchants & Marauders. A little longer playtime than you asked for but it has a great theme and different paths to victory. 2-4 players.


That one sounds great. Just checked all the online stores I use in Aus.
All out of stock. Arrrggg


Look for Clash of Cultures, made by the same designer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CoC is also between print runs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lyncha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it true that Dominion is like Puzzle Strike?
My Wife loves PS. But if its more of the same I'll pass
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLyncha wrote:
Is it true that Dominion is like Puzzle Strike?
My Wife loves PS. But if its more of the same I'll pass


They use the deck building mechanic but that's about it. Perhaps look at Quarriors!, one of my girlfriends favorites.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://play.goko.com/Dominion/gameClient.html

This let's you try out Dominion. It will give you a feel of it although I think playing the actual game will do a much better job of it. I flip back and forth with Dominion but currently I have cooled off on it. I haven't found a pure deck builder that really does it for me, but there are people who have literally put in 1K+ plays.

Quarriors! was simply too random for my taste. More plays and more current rules and expansions might have helped, but right now there's low motivation on the plays part. There is somebody locally who has at least the base game so I might try it later on. It is hard to be motivated when I have so little of a desire to own it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.