8 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Just Picked This Up -- Needs fixes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Jakes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got this off amazon -- must be the most current version, right? And I'd love to break this out and give my gaming group something they will be dying to play again.

I will be playing keeper. Is there anything I must fix or be prepared for or do that will ensure the best time for my investigators?

Thanks in advance!
T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you read the rulebook thoroughly and have a look at the FAQs. That should give you enough experience to get the game running smoothly. Avoid strategy articles as a big part of the game for the Keeper is discovering the strategy of play yourself.

However, assuming your investigators are also new to the game, stress the following to them at the start of the game: "Following the trail of Clues is extremely important. Ignore the clues, or delay a few turns and you will probably lose."

There's nothing really to fix except replacing the cards with their new versions (you get both the replacement cards and the originals in the revised editions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first game, I don't think you need to make any fixes. It will be enough to keep track of making sure you are playing correctly. Make sure that it is the most current version, though, as some cards in previous printings were unbalanced.

As far as giving everyone a great time, I recommend that you prepare for the game well ahead of time. Use the Fall of House Lynch scenario, and make your story choices before anybody arrives. Then, go through and read the objective, event, and clue cards ahead of time, making sure that you understand the story that is playing out and your abilities as a Keeper. You might even play a few turns controlling both investigators and Keeper just go get a sense of the timing. If you can't make sense of the story, and you don't know how to use your abilities to create a good sense of tension and pacing, there's a good chance the game will fall flat for the investigators.

I love the game, but I've found the storytelling aspect needs a lot of embellishment. All the pieces are there in the arrangement of rooms, enemies etc., but it is seldom spelled out completely in the flavor text. It's your job as Keeper to connect the dots during gameplay.

Oh, and print out the Flavour text to read instead of revealing final objective card. The actual objective cards are usually anticlimactic, flavor-wise, and do very little to reflect the story choices the keeper made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above posts, just read the rulebook and scenario well and be well prepared.

This is what I did to make my group love MOM.....Above All Else, dont be a prick as keeper. Some of the stories have obvious paths to an easy keeper win, especially for first time investigators. Just try to immerse the players in the story. For example; hoarding threat and spending like 12 points in one turn is a dick move to do to new players. Spend most/all of your threat each turn and try to be diverse, they will enjoy it much more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I love the game, but I've found the storytelling aspect needs a lot of embellishment. All the pieces are there in the arrangement of rooms, enemies etc., but it is seldom spelled out completely in the flavor text. It's your job as Keeper to connect the dots during gameplay. Oh, and print out the Flavour text to read instead of revealing final objective card. The actual objective cards are usually anticlimactic, flavor-wise, and do very little to reflect the story choices the keeper made.

I couldn't agree more with this one. My first couple of plays, the game ended, and then the investigator players were all like "Wha... what happened?"

bigGameGeek wrote:
Above All Else, dont be a prick as keeper.

I agree with this too. if you don't let the investigators advance quite far, there will be no game worth speaking of. On successive runs through the same scenario, you can afford to play more competitively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Jakes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for such quick and full answers!

How do I make sure I have the most recent and updated version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandor1784 wrote:
Thanks all for such quick and full answers!

How do I make sure I have the most recent and updated version?

Inside the box, the latest edition has about 3 updated cards. These cards have a tiny "r" in one corner. I don't think that you can tell the updated edition from the outside of the box.

However, the differences between the original edition and the slightly revised edition are not really significant. In fact, apart from those three adjusted cards, I'm not sure there is any other difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a version with March 2013 in the bar code area and it did not have any "r" cards (I've seen these in store copies and they were not in our copy). All of the cards were up to date with all of the errata. None of the errata applied to our copy, it was already taken care of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.