Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is available for pre-order

http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_great_game.html

There are a couple of games on famous battles (e.g. The Battle of the Alma) but not much else that I know of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this one: The Crimean War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Crimean War (1853–1856) geeklist

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/25981
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Crimea

..very old now but still a great game by Frank Chadwick...turns up on Ebay every now and then..one of my favourites for decades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out, it's not such a broad question. This is not a popular wargaming topic and probably should be gamed out more.

I second Alma and Siege of Sevastopol, but only because they are the only one I am familiar with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
out to lunch wrote:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I thought I'd get tons of stuff to choose from so I'm rather surprised. Someone in the geeklist explains how "the sheer stupidity of it all" makes it rather difficult to make an interesting game out of it at a scale higher than tactical.

Crimean War's 'stupidity' is nearly insignificant compared to
that of the War of the Hats (A Lesser Wrath/Sommar Skrala). At its root,
it was seen as necessary to halt Russian expansion. The pre-war peace
failures may seem a comedy of errors, but the reality is, Russia did
NOT accept amendments proposed to clarify the situation. War would have
erupted at some point (and did again by the '70's - but the CW's memory
basically stopped it once Britain & France again indicated willingness
to get involved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
The next game in Richard Berg's Glory series is going to be on the Crimean War. He's referred to it as Charge to Glory, I think. Not sure what title GMT will settle on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping this one will see the light of day.

Bloody Steppes of Crimea: Alma – Balaclava – Inkerman 1854

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I thought I'd get tons of stuff to choose from so I'm rather surprised. Someone in the geeklist explains how "the sheer stupidity of it all" makes it rather difficult to make an interesting game out of it at a scale higher than tactical.

Indeed..the GDW 'Crimea' game I mentioned above can be won by the Allies on the first term simply by landing on the Sevastopol map and marching on the city rather than somewhere else (the historical landing location at Evpatoria for example)..a special 'dumbo' rule in the game prevents this...in their defense (if you can defend the indefensible) the British and French commanders had NO idea what they were up against due to a COMPLETE lack of knowledge as to what was going on beyond what they could see from their ships..they simply assumed that the area in Sevastopol's immediate vicinity would be too heavily defended..

I disagree that the game is not 'interesting'..there are several strategic options open to both players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
The next game in Richard Berg's Glory series is going to be on the Crimean War. He's referred to it as Charge to Glory, I think. Not sure what title GMT will settle on.

The title makes it sound like Balaklava...going by my experience with the ACW 'Glories' I would definitely buy this game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
The title makes it sound like Balaklava...going by my experience with the ACW 'Glories' I would definitely buy this game..

As would I. On a related note, folks should also know that Vae Victis is doing an Inkerman game that comes out this month: Inkermann 1854
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:

Per the CSW page, it will have Alma, Balaclava, Inkerman and Tchenaya River.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Sluggonics wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:

Per the CSW page, it will have Alma, Balaclava, Inkerman and Tchenaya River.

The same battles as SPI's Crimean War Quad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:

I'd concur. At the very least, I myself didn't have the skill to attempt anything higher than a battle-level game when I did my Line of Fire #13: Blood on the Alma for Lock N Load. It can be relatively easy to simulate the moment-to-moment stupidity you get in a battle without players feeling like they're forced to play stupidly, much harder to craft a system that simulates stupidity on a vast and prolonged scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Aside from assaults on the Sevastopol defences,skirmishes and small side actions these were the only battles worthy of the name that occured on the Crimean Peninsula during the war...there was a battle at Evapatoria where a force consisting mainly of Turks fought off a Russian attack and an allied landing at Kerch that came to nothing..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
out to lunch wrote:

Indeed..the GDW 'Crimea' game I mentioned above can be won by the Allies on the first term simply by landing on the Sevastopol map and marching on the city rather than somewhere else (the historical landing location at Evpatoria for example)..a special 'dumbo' rule in the game prevents this...in their defense (if you can defend the indefensible) the British and French commanders had NO idea what they were up against due to a COMPLETE lack of knowledge as to what was going on beyond what they could see from their ships..they simply assumed that the area in Sevastopol's immediate vicinity would be too heavily defended..

I disagree that the game is not 'interesting'..there are several strategic options open to both players

Couldn't agree with you more! This is an excellent and very much under-appreciated game from GDW. Playing the entire multi-map (multiple maps on a single normal sized map sheet) campaign game is the best way to do it. The sequence of play in this game is very unique, too, with the mix of tactical and strategic actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aardvarkius wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
out to lunch wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more! This is an excellent and very much under-appreciated game from GDW. Playing the entire multi-map (multiple maps on a single normal sized map sheet) campaign game is the best way to do it. The sequence of play in this game is very unique, too, with the mix of tactical and strategic actions.

Yes the whole thing is very neatly done..it's also fascinating watch as the French basically take over the campaign when Britsh morale crashes during the onset of winter which is of course what happened historically..although you wouldn't know it from a lot of the English language accounts that are around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.