Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up this game about a year ago after some research, and have finally hit the 20 game mark one year later (grad-school and fatherhood got in the way, in a good way!)

I decided to play 5 games (Passage through Mirkwood) each with the starter decks, solo, 'one-handed'. I wanted to do this mostly to learn the cards in each deck (really) well and give me some ideas about strengths and weaknesses. Furthermore each deck saw a larger portion of the Encounter Deck then a single playthrough would have, I also experienced both 3B scenarios and saw how the different spheres reacted to each.

My results along with some session reports (not nearly as thorough as some folks post on here) are in the QuestLog at FFG's website (my username there is 'John85' too).

A summary of them are as follows (in order I played them)

SPIRIT I went 2-3, my victories predictably being in matches where I drew mostly locations or few enemies; wins were 104 and 165.

LEADERSHIP I did my best here (score wise) with 3-2 with wins at 112, 91, and 96. This deck came across as the most balanced of the four.

TACTICS This deck was, predictably, the hardest to run solo due to its relative inability to clear locations and quest stages. I did manage to win one (so 1-4 overall), which itself made up for the high score of 156.

LORE I had the most wins with this deck (perhaps because of the added experience of playing in addition to the deck itself), going 4-1 with wins 139, 137, 153, and 129. This deck also seemed balanced, if a bit heavy on events and light on allies (probably because I was saving them for their Response effects).

So overall that's 10-10, rather decent for those starter decks I'd say. Gandalf (I only used one in each deck as per the manual) was clutch in each deck and his presence (or absence) always was a (not the) deciding factor in the game. I was surprised the Spirit deck didn't perform better, given what I'd read. Maybe I just didn't know how to play very well at that point (or maybe it's too light on allies to work really well alone). Leadership and Lore seem to suit best, but I am certainly looking forward to the Eagle and Rohan possibilities in Shadows of Mirkwood.

What I'm most looking forward to at this point is building some decks and trying PtM again, and checking out later quests (planning on going in order with a gradually growing card pool; I bought a lot on ebay to start-core + SoM 1-4 and have been adding packs since; I have everything but the Two Hobbit packs, HoN, and AtS 2 and 3. Needless to say, what I need now is to find some time to PLAY MORE and catch up. This game has been great so far and I can't see my introduction of a main feature (like deck-building) making it worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can always include 3 copies of any card in a deck, so regarding Gandalf, ALWAYS include 3. He is such a helper, especially with the Leadership Card Sneak Attack. The only restriction with him and other cards with that little dark circle next to the name means only 1 can be in play at any time.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game, I would try to deck build a bit. Something like LEadership/Lore deck, or Spirit/Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurries wrote:
You can always include 3 copies of any card in a deck, so regarding Gandalf, ALWAYS include 3. He is such a helper, especially with the Leadership Card Sneak Attack. The only restriction with him and other cards with that little dark circle next to the name means only 1 can be in play at any time.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game, I would try to deck build a bit. Something like LEadership/Lore deck, or Spirit/Tactics.

I know those are the rules, I just wanted to try out what FFG suggests (29 sphere cards plus one Gandalf each). When I started deckbuilding 3 Gandalfs were the first thing I put in the deck (even before the heroes!). Thanks for the sphere-combo recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gotcha, those recommendations are a bit silly haha. Also, for a new player, no shame in using Easy Mode rules(on the FFG support page) for awhile to get a hang of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly no shame in it (although I haven't). They are a bit silly (and frankly I wonder if they'd publish the same game now; I don't think so).

I'm waiting to see how many more changes, additions, and revisions they make before a true 'Second Edition' is published. I'm not holding my breath, but after the "easy mode" update, one would think it must be just around the corner (then again have any of the LCGs had a second edition published despite their many changes?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A friend of mine and I are playing in order starting with the core and working up using Easy Mode and we're enjoying it. We just wrapped up 'Hunt for Gollum' and the game is still fun but just not as tense at times. We got burned out a bit I think with getting our rears handed to us on high difficulty quests and sometimes easier ones when we just had bad luck of the draws. We don't see ourselves going back to standard play for awhile, but we may at some point I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.