Subject: Frustrated by the stickers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am frustrated by the stickers. This game is beautiful... the presentation is superb. But applying the stickers to the block mars the aesthetic value significantly, and introduces a difficulty into playing the game as written.

The stickers are not completely cut. Every time I remove one to apply it to a block, at least one (sometimes two) corners tear. I am being very careful and am assisted by a cutting mat and a hobby knife... to no avail. The stickers are thick enough that separating them damages the corners. This makes them look ugly on the blocks and makes the rule about showing your opponent the names but not the values on reduced units (for the random draw) problematic if you play the game more than once: "Oh, the McLaws where both right corners are torn off and fuzzy is a one strength... I'll pick that one."

Everything else is great. This is maddening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had similar experiences with applying the stickers. I haven't even applied all of them yet as it is quite time consuming. I'm going through each of the stickers with a hobby knife first to make sure they separate properly and no tearing occurs. Otherwise I'm really happy with the quality of the components, but yeah, the stickers are kind of a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just pick a block randomly, without showing. It requires some trust, but the game requires trust anyway when dealing with artillery's organisational match, for example. (Besides, it would be difficult to meaningfully cheat that way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an old hand at applying stickers to blocks (I have the entire Commands and Colors: Ancients series...). That being said, I only had trouble with the Confederate stickers. I'm wondering if maybe my sheet was not manufactured properly. The Union stickers are separating with relative ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear this.

Maybe you guys just got bad sheets. Try the spare sheet and see if it works better.

I had no trouble with my stickers. I took off the in-between strip and the sticker at the same time and separated them instead of trying to get just the sticker out. It also helps to have the next strip partially off the paper before tearing off the strip and sticker above it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment the only thing preventing this game moving from a 9 to a 10 for me, is the component quality, and that is mainly the stickers. I had the same experience and frustration as the OP. The board also has a minor defect but I am not too bothered about that, but the stickers....grrrrrrrr

That aside, the game is excellent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had virtually no trouble with the stickers. Maybe a half dozen took a little longer to get off than the others, but none were marred. I did not use a hobby knife--maybe that was your problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah the sticker sheets were, if anything, over-cut in my opinion because the sheets were falling apart. I'd pull out one sticker and it'd separate the sticker next to it.

Remember that it requires VERY little force. In my case, the fingerprint on my index finger generated enough friction to separate the sticker from the backing. Just gentle passing it over the fingerprint was enough in nearly all cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I found that by removing the "bar" between each sticker of great help in removing the actual sticker itself. This is tricky I will admit, and I used an exacto knife with a sharp tip to lift the stickers off.

Ultimately this one fine looking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky for me, I read some of the complaints on BGG before starting the sticker project. I was prepared to spend some time on this and use the backups as needed. Frustrating...yes, but I'm over it. The end product looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had trouble with a few specific stickers but in general, mine seemed ok. I am not suggesting what I did will work for everyone but I ended pulling off an entire column and (as you would with tape) put each sticker down so it would stick out off the table I was at. I then went thru and applied to the blocks, repeating for each column.

I understand this doesn't solve bad stickers that won't be detach but it made the tedious process go a bit quicker imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorski
United States
Blairstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the stickers to be overcut as well. But, being over careful, I applied them and while it may have taken some amount of time, the result was fine.

IMHO, this is a very minor issue in a overall superb presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a first-time stickerer and I had the procedure down within minutes.

Not saying I enjoyed the experience, but it was no big whoop for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Sorry to hear this.

Maybe you guys just got bad sheets. Try the spare sheet and see if it works better.

I had no trouble with my stickers. I took off the in-between strip and the sticker at the same time and separated them instead of trying to get just the sticker out. It also helps to have the next strip partially off the paper before tearing off the strip and sticker above it.

It was the same with both sets of Confederate stickers for me (particularly the first column). The Union stickers were fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm lucky that I didn't have torn corners while removing the stickers, but I did have a lot of ink smudging, causing discolored letters.

I applied the stickers while watching TV. I was careful to observe alignment while applying the sticker. Then I'd use my thumb wrapped in a soft cloth to press/rub the sticker, to ensue solid adhesion. I was back to watching TV during this step. I used this method for about half the stickers before I sat back to take a look at the work "so far". While I was happy with sticker alignment, I wasn't so happy that most of the bright white letters were discolored due to smudging ink. The Union letters were no longer white - they took on a gradient blue shade, while the Confederate letters looked rusty brown due to the smudging of the red ink.

After replacing about half the stickers - being extra careful not to RUB - I sprayed all the blocks with a non-yellowing matt clear acrylic spray I got at Wal-Mart. That works like a champ - seals the edges and protects the stickers from hangar rash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. I got my copy today in the mail (mail order, retail). One thing I noticed is that I have no sticking blocks. I wonder if this is because the pieces had more "curing" time since they were in the channel longer? If so, it might be the sticker sheet will also be less susceptible to smudging. But I will watch for that as I go through the exercise of applying them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawd, do I hate anything with stickers. Despise. Loathe.

Kudos to Mercury Games for putting an entire second sticker set and extra blocks. One of my sticker sheets was creased quite badly and 4 Union blocks were stuck together. Only one block could have served as an unblemished block as the other three lost paint at non-sticker points. Two were quite marred.

That said, once I get over my OCD with the few blocks that have less than well aligned stickers, I think I'll have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the sticker corner issue now that my copy just arrived(finally!) but I don't think it's anything terrible... on the other hand I'm a paper craft hobbyist so it wouldn't be anyhow. But I think there may be too much fuss on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't rub them on! Whatever you're going to use to apply pressure, make sure you aply the pressure vertically up and down, not in a rubbing motion. In my experience anyway, rubbing will smear the red or blue ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a dumb new guy question about the blocks...

Just received the game, and took a quick inventory. I notice the profile of the blocks is not square, but rectangular. First block game ever here, so I had just "assumed" the blocks would be square.

Since none of them are, this is not a mistake, I'm guessing.

Stickers go on the wider side, then? Looks like they'd barely fit on the narrow side.

As I said, this sounds dumb, but then the various facing positions of the blocks may make 'one way or the other' more "obvious" ... trouble is, I'm hesitant to mess something up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stickers go on the wide side. I think the idea was that, with a square block, it's not that clear which of the 4 sides the sticker is on, and during play you might accidentally be showing your sticker to your opponent. If you put your blocks wide side down, you can be sure whether the sticker is revealed or hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not problems with smudging, nor tearing stickers. My problem was with blocks that could be identified by defects, and a bunch of about eight or nine Union blocks stuck together in a big blob. The extra blocks for the Union were also very imperfect, and in my mind, mostly unusable. However, Kevin at Mercury sent me a bunch of extras, and two new battle tokens that had flaws on them, making them very identifiable. Cost them like $3 Canadian, so I was impressed by that. Kudos to Mercury for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.