Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that in the German edition three bean categories are missing (the cocoa beans and the last two with 22 and 24 same cards whose the name I don't remember). So, the question is how different is the game for 2 players for example, when you have two categories less, not to mention that the German edition I have says from 3-5 players not including the 2 players rules and the 3-7 players variants. Despite all this, the game is quite good for 2 players using the standard deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English edition is a compilation of the German edition and the original German expansion, sort of. In the German edition the beans range from Gartenbohne to Blaubohne (6 -> 20). The expansion adds cocoa, coffee, and "weinbrandbohne". The same distributions as the English edition, but a different bean at the 22 slot (Weinbrandbohne vs. Wax Beans).

To further complicate matters, the La Isla Bohnita expansion, in German, adds Wax beans, with a 26 card distribution (different from the English edition). And, the German expansion was revised and reprinted to include order cards and Field Beans, with only three cards. Rio Grande took at least the order cards, and possibly the field beans (I'm not sure), and published them with what in German was the High Bohn expansion, as the "High Bohn Plus" expansion.

To try to summarize:
German -- Bohnanza, Erweiterungs-Set, High Bohn
English -- Bohnanza, High Bohn Plus

Those two sets match as much as they can; the differences being the bean types at 22 (Weinbrandbohne vs. Wax beans). If you have German, and really want the Wax Beans, you can get La Isla Bohnita, but IMO it's not even close to being a must-have expansion.

Not a clear picture, by a long shot. But I can say this: If you have the german edition, then definitely get the "Erweiterungs-Set" ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1494 ). Even if you don't use the field beans and the order cards, expanding it to play with 6 or 7 is a useful thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good summary, Dave.

I'm a big fan of the German editions of Bohnanza: you get all the wordplays intact, new expansions from Amigo and Lookout are always compatible with them, and I get to translate the rules! [I'm a sick little monkey.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the German edition, with the *original* expansion (no order cards), and La Isla Bohnita. And frankly, La Isla Bohnita kinda discouraged me from getting any other expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh I can understand how you feel that way, Dave. La Isla Bohnitâ, while being interesting, definitely feels like it bogs the game down quite a bit. The first edition of the Expansion Set is actually probably the only one of the German releases I lack - except for the Bohnentaler expansion. Yes, I have both the Lookout and Amigo releases of High Bohn - but how could I resist? The Amigo release included Prohibohn, an expansion that adds some nice flavor and variety (accidental Kidneybohne joke there) to Al Cabohne.

Anyway, though I sometimes find an itch to play La Isla Bohnitâ, it is one of my least favorite of the expansions. Here are some quick thoughts on the other expansions thus far:

colonist Telebohn almost totally inverts the fundamental rules of Bohnanza, and as a result, is a very different, but quite pleasant experience.
colonist Ladybohn doesn't add much to the gameplay - or diminish it - but I love setting the female beans beside the males, because the illustrations are so seamless that they look as if each bean type was done as one illustration, and then split into male and female cards.
colonist Bohnaparte and Dschingis Bohn are very similar, in that they both strangely splice Bohnanza with a wargame, and do so quite well. The contents differ a little, though, and they are specifically designed so they can be combined for bean wars on a bigger scale. These two might put you off, Dave, but if you can try them sometime, you might enjoy them.
colonist Mutabohn's rules can be used, for the most part, without having to have the expansion itself - you just won't get any Bohnenpfennige for getting certain mutation patterns in your fields.

Just a few thoughts for you, since Telebohn was such a surprise and so fun, and I'd hate for a fellow Bohnenhändler to miss out on some expansions he might like. Of course, feel free to view my profile to read my thoughts on the various expansions in more detail, if I haven't already told you more than you wanted to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So confusing!

I have the original 3-5 players German edition.
Which Beans I should leave out from the deck to play the 2 players version??????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.