Popular Tags: [View All]
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow geeks,

I have been looking at a lot of painted models and other sources of Italians in the continental European theatre during WW2.

By and large the infantry (please correct me if I am wrong) wore a green (with a bit of grey) similar to the German field grey (with greener helmets).

I have seen some miniatures (for instance on the Bolt Action website) painted basically a grey (with no green at all). I have also seen these uniforms painted with a tinge of blue (to make a blue-grey).

I have also seen some images and movies where Italian army uniforms were like a bluey-green colour (think Captain Corelli's Mandolin).

Could someone, anyone, please explain the following:
- Where there really these colours worn?
- What did the different colours mean (branches, rank etc)

I favour the colour scheme of grey (or even grey with a bit of blue tinge) so if anyone knows what, if any Italian units wore these could you please let me know.

Although I favour certain colours I also do not want to have an army which is not at all believable so if the Italians did not wear blue-grey or grey I might have to rethink it.

Any information would be great!

Thanks,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Artizan Designs guide would suggest they wore Grey Green in temperate climates and sand color uniforms in North Africa.

In the Armies of Italy Basic List PDF from Warlord Games, the only Italians with blue in their uniform are the Airborne. The Bersaglieri look to have field grey uniforms similar to the Germans. The Solothurn teams depicted do appear to have a bluish tint to their grey.

If you go with German Field Grey, you could make them Bersaglieri. That's no compensatory pick either... they're elite bad asses on motorbikes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi mate. The following paints are vallejo.

Uniform/Putees 888 Olive Grey
Helmets 830 German Field Grey

The Italian infantry only had the two uniforms. Desert and European. The European colour being a grey green colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the response - Its what I expected I suppose...

There is a painting guide on the flames of war website http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=110&art_id=413 that has a grey uniform called 'fatigue uniform'. I am thinking this is maybe more green in reality though?

Now I am wondering if I could get away with a grey...or if it would look too ahistorical and too much like Germans? Any opinions on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats good to know that the Bersaglieri had grey uniforms...maybe where the paintjobs came from on the Bolt Action website.

I was thinking about doing a blackshirts list. This way I could run them as reckless (inexperienced) or a better equipped and trained 'M' division (regular maybe some veteran)

I was hoping I could do the above models with at least a flat grey but thats the joys of history!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A blackshirt platoon would look awesome. I am doing an Alpini platoon. I really like their hats. Warlord are releasing Alpini heads when the book comes out so I will be all set.

That vallejo colour looks pretty much grey to me. Don't be fooled by the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alpini heads surprise Now I will have to rethink!

Interesting, so the specified vallejo colour, from what you can see has very little or no green at all?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter which color guide you choose (Artizan or FOW), put a touch of Vallejo Pale Sand into it for "scale effect", and to simulate some fading from the sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also need your help with this idea.

Blackshirt battalion were attached to Italian Infantry divisions...in this way would it make sense to have a whole army of Blackshirts? Or maybe have them as the veteran/inexperienced elements only? In that way the bulk of the force would still be regular Italian Army...

I was thinking Blackshirts could be inexperienced because although highly motivated they lacked proper equipment and training. I was thinking then the veteran elements could be the eventual 'M' divisions - battle hardened, better equipped and trained. Although this works in practice the Blackshirts and 'M' divisions weren’t around at the same time and thus does not make sense as a force - any help here would be appreciated!

In the new Italian PDF they have Bersaglieri that can be mounted on motorcycles. Is Bolt Action flexible enough for me to use those rules for a mounted motorcycle squad but just not use the Bersaglieri heads and make them Blackshirts instead?

I hope I made sense, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave. I would wait for the book to come out to be sure of what you can do with the Blackshirts. There would be nothing worse to model and paint an awesome army and discover that they don't fit the army list properly. I would lead to inexperienced Blackshirts myself. Definitely fits the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul,

Guess ill have to just wait until late November

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask another question (if anyone knows). What were the colours of italian armoured tanks and cars painted for european campaigns (i.e. France, Yugoslavia, Greece and Russia)?

Anyone?

Thanks,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.