Popular Tags: [View All]
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow geeks,

I have been looking at a lot of painted models and other sources of Italians in the continental European theatre during WW2.

By and large the infantry (please correct me if I am wrong) wore a green (with a bit of grey) similar to the German field grey (with greener helmets).

I have seen some miniatures (for instance on the painting guids on the Flames of War website) painted basically a grey (with no green at all). I have also seen these uniforms painted with a tinge of blue (to make a blue-grey).

I have also seen some images and movies where Italian army uniforms were like a bluey-green colour (think Captain Corelli's Mandolin).

Could someone, anyone, please explain the following:
- Where there really these colours worn?
- What did the different colours mean (branches, rank etc)

I favour the colour scheme of grey (or even grey with a bit of blue tinge) so if anyone knows what, if any Italian units wore these could you please let me know.

Although I favour certain colours I also do not want to have an army which is not at all believable so if the Italians did not wear blue-grey or grey I might have to rethink it.

Any information would be great!

Thanks,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Italian Uniforms
Don't know if this helps you:
http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Italian Uniforms

I saw a recommendation for "World War II Infantry: In Colour Photographs (Europa Militaria, 2) [Paperback]"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1861262876/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

It appears to be out of print but still available from some Amazon sellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Mk Easy
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David, sorry if I reply very late but I'm reading now your request:

Usually the Regio Esercito uniform color during WWII was Grey-green, with some variants for special troops (i.e. Paratroops and North Africa theatre)
There were little detail modifications but in general the main color was Grey-green with a more grey shirt under the jacket (see below links)

A kind of Blue-grey uniform was used by AirForce assault paratroops (ADRA)

Franco60
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Mk Easy
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
other useful pictures about Regio Esercito WWII uniforms:

Regio Esercito WWII ranking

Regio Esercito WWII uniforms - "Bersaglieri" light assault infantry

Regio Esercito WWII uniforms - North African theatre - Bersagliere & Folgore paratrooper

Regio Esercito engineer, North Africa, 1942
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Mk Easy
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regio Esercito WWII uniforms - "Alpini" mountain troops

Regio Esercito WWII uniforms - ARM.I.R. Russian campaign

Regio Esercito WWII uniforms - ARM.I.R. Russian campaign

Regio Esercito WWII uniforms - "Nembo" paratroops division
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply and effort to posting the pictures Frank, greatly appreciated.

The thing that was confusing me is that there is a italian infantry uniform in the local war memorial and it looked quite grey (a little less green than the pictures you posted), but the closer you got to it and the more intently you looked it had the slightest blue tinge.

It could just have been the lighting or a one off.

All other Italian Army infantry uniforms I researched were like the ones you posted.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Mk Easy
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi David, you are welcome

regarding the more grey uniform you saw in your local war memorial, it was probably an officer's jacket because the fabric of the officers's uniforms of Regio Esercito was not the standard one. Italian officer's uniforms have been packaged by tailors with not standard fabric / colours.

The Italian troops had the grey-green standard uniform while the officers, often wore uniforms, lighter in color and more gray made from different type of cloth.

The following photo is that of the officer's uniform of Engineer (Genio)

and is more grey than standard troop uniforms.

Last but not least, please consider also this important detail:
during WWII, the Italian textile industry was not able to maintain a satisfactory standard of quality due to the fact that often have been used recycled wools and also the colors were not of the best. This resulted in a rapid decay of the colors of the uniform that therefore have taken different variants from the original gray-green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again - that makes sense. Wonderful info and pics.

Regards,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.