Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last few times that I have played LoW, I have started with quests that I, according to my Lord card, have no interest in.
I have found this to be a little annoying & so I have come up with the following variant for the start up of the game.

Set up the rest of the game as per the rules.

As per the rules, players,

- select a house (colour) & take the pieces.
- are dealt a Lord card.
- select a start player, who gets the start player token.
- take money according to their starting position.

Now things change.

1. Four quest cards are placed in the Cliffwatch Inn.
2. Starting with starting player & going clockwise, each player chooses to use one of the places at the Cliffwatch Inn to gain one of the available quests & also the action that the selected space provides (2 coins, Intrigue card or resetting of the available Quests). Note - players do not place their agents at the Inn at this time, this is just collecting starting quests & players can select any place at the Inn that they want.
3. The selected quest is replaced.
4. Each player selects 2 quests.
5. Once each player has 2 quests, all unselected quests (those that remain at the Inn & those that might have been discarded) are shuffled & the Cliffwatch Inn is restocked & the game starts.

So, there it is.
Would be interested in any thoughts or suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest complaint for this method would be you know what people are going for. I enjoy those first couple of turns where you're trying to figure out or mask what everyone else's and you're true motives.

We deal 3 quests, pick 2 and also deal 2 lords pick 1.

We also have the 4 quests at cliffwatch and the buildings displayed for consideration when choosing quests/lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst players can play, "I'm going for this quest because it's what I want as Lord x", there is also the ability to choose a quest because you want the Plot Quest ability or the quest might just be a high scoring quest.

As the game progresses, you'll get to get an idea of what players are after from the quests they select anyway.

The other thought was in mixing up whether players wanted Intrigue cards or more money or maybe even taking their chance that better Quests may come into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just deal out an extra quest and have players discard one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Why not just deal out an extra quest and have players discard one

If you want to, that's fine.
For me, the last few games that I have played, I have started with quests that my Lord card wasn't interested in & also quests of little value.
My aim was to give players more control, both of the quests & resources (Intrigue cards vs money) that they start with.
I also think that that is more thematic. As a Lord, I wouldn't just take what was given to me. I'd be out there making informed choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would give too much benefits to the player who's quest happens to be there. Player 1 might get lucky and get 2 quests for his lord and starts with 4 extra money while player 5 might have not get any advantage if he resets the quest twice.

That said, I usually play either draw 3 and discard 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I deal out 2 Lords per player and make a face-up pile of (2 times the number of players) Quests, and then we draft starting Quests in reverse player order.. I find that reversing player order is important as it balances starting player advantage way more than just doing the gold setup does.

After everyone has take their second Quest, everyone secretly decides which Lord to keep.

Edit: tiny screen typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My criteria for taking quests isn't JUST always based on the Lord card I take. Because there are some Quests from other areas that can help you fulfill Quests from your preferred. I often use them together. Some low payout quests provide you with Resources to fulfill larger ones...

It sounds to me, and I could be misreading, that you really limit yourself to only the 2 types preferred by your Lord card. A lord should use all tools at his disposal to meet his ends. And by your methods reveal your hand early. Against an observant & clever opponent you may suffer for that.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:
My criteria for taking quests isn't JUST always based on the Lord card I take.

What I'm putting forward is not just based on choosing quests based upon what Lord a player gets.

It is about having the option to choose from offered quests.
A quest could be chosen because it will give the player a 4 point bonus at the end.
A quest could be chosen because it gives the player access to a plot quest that could be desirable.
A quest could be chosen because it offers a high return.
A quest could be chosen because the player thinks that it could be easy to complete.
A quest could be chosen because ...
The point is the player chooses.

The other choice players can make is do they want an Intrigue card or the cash or to take their chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest doing your variant in reverse player order for the Quest selection. Starting player has a distinct advantage IMO despite the coin factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
I would suggest doing your variant in reverse player order for the Quest selection. Starting player has a distinct advantage IMO despite the coin factor.

Ok - thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Vichi
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this variant and will try it with reverse player order as Steve suggested. thumbsup
but I would't allow the players to gather the resources as well.
the first two spaces let you gain a quest from the 4 available. the third space let you reset and pick one after the reset, nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soul_Guile wrote:
but I would't allow the players to gather the resources as well.
the first two spaces let you gain a quest from the 4 available. the third space let you reset and pick one after the reset, nothing more.

Luke,

Please note that players do not get the usual 2 Intrigue cards as part of set up.
So, when the players choose either of the first two positions, the question is do they want to take an Intrigue card or 2 coins.
Personally I think that the Intrigue cards are great, but it may possibly be to a player's advantage to take the money & run.

I hope that you find it plays well.
Please be sure to post your experience here.

Thanks,

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.