Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kovatch
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is a strategy as much as it is an easy to overlook rule. You can pick up a lot of contracts by remembering this one, apparently easy-to-forget, rule: Cubes can be converted at the rate of 3:1 during the Loading phase.

(I almost wrote 'this one weird trick' )

As the game is going into the later rounds, you may find yourself with a contract that needs one cube, but none of the ships have it. Buy the ship anyway, convert those three useless cubes into the one you need, and away you go. I've now won a couple of games this way because no one thought I'd buy that ship in the last round, and didn't bid up the ship to keep me from getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skovatch wrote:
I don't know if this is a strategy as much as it is an easy to overlook rule. You can pick up a lot of contracts by remembering this one, apparently easy-to-forget, rule: Cubes can be converted at the rate of 3:1 during the Loading phase.

(I almost wrote 'this one weird trick' )

As the game is going into the later rounds, you may find yourself with a contract that needs one cube, but none of the ships have it. Buy the ship anyway, convert those three useless cubes into the one you need, and away you go. I've now won a couple of games this way because no one thought I'd buy that ship in the last round, and didn't bid up the ship to keep me from getting it.

pretty sure the cube must be in the storehouse, not from the 'bag'. So you have to grab it from the area that was used/discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott is suggesting that you buy a "useless" Ship and convert those cubes into something more useful.
The bag isn't mentioned because we all know you can't grab from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kovatch
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Scott is suggesting that you buy a "useless" Ship and convert those cubes into something more useful.
The bag isn't mentioned because we all know you can't grab from it.

That's right. This strategy mainly applies at the end of the game when many of the other goods have been skipped/cashed in via traders or other contracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a picture on the warehouse card that reminds you of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kovatch
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
Isn't there a picture on the warehouse card that reminds you of this?
Yes, but either folks playing on Yucata don't know that, or don't know why you would want to do it. I have to admit it took me a game or two to understand why you'd even want to exchange cubes, because at first glance it seems like a bad deal. But done at the right time it can turn the game around for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.