In Flight Games
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Without know much about the comic book version of "The Walking Dead", I can assure you that I am very updated and into the TV series of "The Walking Dead". When I stood in Barnes & Noble looking at this game, I couldn't help but imagine an amazing, thrilling, exciting, strategic, and imaginative board game.

After bringing it home, playing it about 10 times altogether, I have some strong opinions about it...

Upon opening the box, I had some feelings. First of all, the little pieces which have pictures of characters, zombies, bandages, food, gas, and ammunition, are a little bit excessive. While I understand why they had to have all these parts to make the game work, I kind of get the feeling that the developers didn't think this all the way through, and it made me kind of worried.

As I started setting up the game, I saw that there are some larger pieces that are supposed to stand up, but really, that little card board piece doesn't do the trick. At this point I started to get a little annoyed. Especially because my friends were expecting a fun game, and it wasn't feeling very fun yet, and I had spent some good money on this.

But, we did start playing, and getting into, like we normally do. About a third of the way through the game, I was beginning to get really bored with placing all the zombie tokens, avoiding zombies, not interacting with friends, and configuring and re-configuring my dice pool.

Anyways, as the game ended I noticed a few reoccurring things that gave me a sick feeling. For instance: If you are doing bad in the game, you aren't really going to be able to save yourself and do any better. If you're doing good, you can only become bigger, better, and stronger. If you're loosing, it isn't fun to play at all, especially if the people you're playing against don't have any mercy. The game is seeping with elements of luck through card picking and dice rolling. The instruction manual is hard to interpret and confusing. Lastly, the game is pretty long, yet only has one simple way to win, and that is to collect location cards. What I mean by this is that, most other games allow you to win in multiple ways, styles, and focuses, which makes each game unique, "The Walking Dead" does not.

So, after getting an idea of what makes this game a total drag. I can give it some compliments. Firstly, the artwork is amazing and talented. The board game structure works, as in playing the game makes sense. Lastly, the connections different characters have with one another and their unique abilities is pretty cool, and it makes sense with my understanding of "The Walking Dead".

If I could sell this game for 20 bucks (half of what I paid) I totally would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had received a Barnes & Noble gift card for $25 and thought to use it towards getting a game. I went there to see what games they had and saw The Walking Dead. My common sense kicked in to see first how the game was rated on BGG first. Seeing it wasn't rated high I decided not to get it. Sorry you got burned and hope you can recoup some of your money. I have purchased a few dogs myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find you a little hard on the game. But I kinda understand your feeling if you havnt read the comic books. This game shares more the spirit of comic book than the tv series. The zombie tokens are always behind you because thats the case in the comic book, same for firing a gun...

Concerning the character pieces, I assume this would have been better to have maybe little plastic characters, but this would have cost too much...Mine hold steady though

You said the game is very long, but its not always true...We had a lot of games that were less than 30min.
And concerning the "good stays good" and "bad stays bad", I think the luck you have with dice can be a way to change drastically from good to bad or opposite...Multiple times I got 3 or 4 characters and dice rolls with only caps, and without ammo, you're in trouble ^^

I think the aim of the game (win by collecting 3 cards) staid "simple" to be more accessible to all WD fans that are not usual board games players.

But I guess that if you really look for a KILLER board game, unless you are not a fan of the WD (comic books at best), then you could find this board game a little "empty"

But the WD TV Board Game is a lot worse (at least without the unofficial expansion )

Greets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Flight Games
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Haha that's great to know that the TV version board game is even worse. I appreciate your feedback. I think my style of board game preferences are just different from what The Walking Dead offers. For instance, I am not a huge fan of luck games and I enjoy more complex scenarios.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nuite
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This the only game in my entire 90ish game collection that I actively dislike. My wife dislikes it. My sister-in-law dislikes. Everyone I've played with dislikes it.

I regret purchasing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themagicisover wrote:
This the only game in my entire 90ish game collection that I actively dislike. My wife dislikes it. My sister-in-law dislikes. Everyone I've played with dislikes it.

I regret purchasing it.

Don't feel bad - I gave it as a gift!

Fortunately, my friend is still talking to me......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MWade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Clearly you haven't played games like Twilight Imperium or you would consider this game a walk in the park.
Being a fan of the show and knowing a enough of the comic book I can can not disagree with the complainers more.
If you are a fan of the show you know the lives of the characters is a living hell and it can even be depressing and frustrating to watch.
If you are fan of the comic book you know things are even worse as told there.
I am a fan of the game because it is easy to play (although setup is time consuming) and it captures the terrifying frustration and difficulty of living in a world of walkers.
It is susceptible to bad dice rolls (but aren't most games?) but if you play wisely with planning and strategy you can build a superior position in spite of that. As for not interacting with others we played for and against each other, those who were losing teamed up against the winners (and the walkers) and made huge comebacks.
In short I think the problem might be the players you were with lacked the imagination or rules knowledge to take advantage of the possibilities in the game.
This game is not my favorite, but it's in my top twenty and I have nearly a hundred games and I've only won the game once (and unlike alot of games I've won, I felt like I earned it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DeadmeatDadda wrote:
Clearly you haven't played games like Twilight Imperium or you would consider this game a walk in the park.
Being a fan of the show and knowing a enough of the comic book I can can not disagree with the complainers more.
If you are a fan of the show you know the lives of the characters is a living hell and it can even be depressing and frustrating to watch.
If you are fan of the comic book you know things are even worse as told there.
I am a fan of the game because it is easy to play (although setup is time consuming) and it captures the terrifying frustration and difficulty of living in a world of walkers.
It is susceptible to bad dice rolls (but aren't most games?) but if you play wisely with planning and strategy you can build a superior position in spite of that. As for not interacting with others we played for and against each other, those who were losing teamed up against the winners (and the walkers) and made huge comebacks.
In short I think the problem might be the players you were with lacked the imagination or rules knowledge to take advantage of the possibilities in the game.
This game is not my favorite, but it's in my top twenty and I have nearly a hundred games and I've only won the game once (and unlike alot of games I've won, I felt like I earned it).

If this game is in your top twenty, I don't ever want to play games with you. That is how much I dislike this game. You are probably a nice person, but just that one statement alone has vilified you for life in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys have probably long since given up on this game, but I find, with a few tweaks, this game comes to life nicely.

The game as written is very light - too light. I have set up some variant rules that make the game more interesting with real choices to make, strategy and player V player interaction. The game is still light and just a bit of frothy dice rolling fun, but at least with these variant rules the game has some depth. See what you think.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1237634/variant-extra-st...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game once and did not get a good impression of it. Putting the zombie tokens in every space you go through created annoying situations all over the board. I played Zombicide: Prison Outbreak once and enjoyed it. Bought Zombicide and did not buy Walking Dead. Admittedly one play is insufficient to rate it but I was not satidfied enough to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.