Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was blown away by this...
The kicker is, I learned about Start-O-Matic Baseball after having PASSED on it in the Salvation Army Thrift Store!!!! (Not the same season, so maybe I can stop kicking myself.)

Strat-O-Matic baseball... recently on eBay (ended Feb. 1, 2006).... auction number 8756927248.... with 32 bids.... went for:
US $479.05 !!!!!!!!!

It's true.... I just couldn't believe it....

cry

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, not every Strat-O-Matic set is worth quite that much! Certain years are worth a lot, and others are only worth a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fishy bits about this auction - I suspect whoever won it won't be happy.

- No mention of the box at all? It's either non-existent or horribly mangled. Did these sets come out in a form other than boxed? I've no idea...

- While the auction says 1971, the player list says 1972. I sure hope there isn't a major price impact on the years being off! This is a 1972 set with 1971 stats, if I'm not mistaken...

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much everyone for helping me understand the appeal of this game.

I know I won't pass on it again if I see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:
While the auction says 1971, the player list says 1972. I sure hope there isn't a major price impact on the years being off! This is a 1972 set with 1971 stats, if I'm not mistaken...

Nope. In S-O-M, the player list postdates the cards by one year. The 1971 set should have a list dated 1972.

I came into a few older sets a few years ago, and sold them online. Naively thinking that the years should match, I accidentally sold the wrong lists with the wrong sets as well as some "loose lists" and "sets with no list". The S-O-M collectors I sold them to put me straight, and luckily were able to sort out some of the mix-ups amongst themselves. (Unfortunately for me, they did so too late for me to be able to keep the original play list with the 1970 set that I decided to hang onto. Live & learn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Kooistra
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any clue as to why Strat-O-Matic doesn't reprint a bunch of 70s seasons? They've got quite a few past seasons avaliable, but some big gaps in the 70s. I'm sure it costs a bit to print up large sets of season players, but it seems once the company has calculated the cards, there's no reason to let a season go out of print. Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, isn't this amusing. I looked through my own thrifted stash 'o games, and found a boxed S-O-M set.

Included cards have 1971 stats on them, are double printed and have baby blue printing on the back side. Are these the cards under discussion here?

I wish it was a full set of teams, but alas all I have are:

-Atlanta Braves (20 cards)
-LA Dodgers (20 cards)
-Chicago Cubs (20 cards)
-SF Giants (20 cards)
-Pittsburgh Pirates (20 cards)
-Cincinnati Reds (21 cards)
-NY Mets (21 cards)

So? Should I be happy or just...okay with it?

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if the set you found turns out to be valuable, do I get a cut??!!

(Kidding, of course.)

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But did you notice that the Original Rubber Bands (their bold, not mine) were included? That has to add a few bucks to the bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.