Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » Rules

Subject: Naming Defending Pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been asked before, but I don't really have time at the moment to find it.

Corps are made up of units, which are single blocks.

However, in the attack procedure, it talks about naming one or more defending pieces.

I really have two questions about this:

1) Are defending "pieces" the same thing as the "units" of the corps, specifically single blocks.

2) Can multiple pieces/units of a single corps be named as defending pieces for different attacks across different approaches?

So hypothetically, if I have Konstantin's corps with 8 units in reserve in a locale, I can name 2 of them as defending pieces from attack threat A and two different pieces from the same corps as defending pieces from attack threat B? (Recognizing that the pieces I named will be dragged into the respective approaches and out of their corps in the event of feints.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Fromme
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmd8tc wrote:

1) Are defending "pieces" the same thing as the "units" of the corps, specifically single blocks.

Correct.

wmd8tc wrote:

2) Can multiple pieces/units of a single corps be named as defending pieces for different attacks across different approaches?

Every separate unit in reserve can only defend across one single approach. Several units organized in one corps can defend across different approaches as long as no one unit is named defender on more than one approach.

wmd8tc wrote:

So hypothetically, if I have Konstantin's corps with 8 units in reserve in a locale, I can name 2 of them as defending pieces from attack threat A and two different pieces from the same corps as defending pieces from attack threat B?

Correct.

wmd8tc wrote:

(Recognizing that the pieces I named will be dragged into the respective approaches and out of their corps in the event of feints.)

This only applies to at least ONE of these units per approach. You are not forced to move ALL defenders into the approach, just at least one (and up to all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply.

I think I have been playing the game (about once every 6 months) incorrectly for quite a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Fromme
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it has been fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
wmd8tc wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

I think I have been playing the game (about once every 6 months) incorrectly for quite a long time.

I want those hours back!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
wmd8tc wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

I want those hours back!!!

So... Wanna get a game in soon?

Also, have two plays of GoG in, it's good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wmd8tc wrote:
I am sure this has been asked before, but I don't really have time at the moment to find it.

Corps are made up of units, which are single blocks.

However, in the attack procedure, it talks about naming one or more defending pieces.

I really have two questions about this:

So hypothetically, if I have Konstantin's corps with 8 units in reserve in a locale, I can name 2 of them as defending pieces from attack threat A and two different pieces from the same corps as defending pieces from attack threat B? (Recognizing that the pieces I named will be dragged into the respective approaches and out of their corps in the event of feints.)

(1) Pieces is a term that includes units (blocks) and commanders (the metal stands). Naming the commander as one of the defending pieces does not directly affect the outcome, but it does affect the ability of the commander to join any blocks moving from reserve to the defense approach should the defenders win.

(2) Yes. With the already noted correction that only one of the defending blocks needs to advance into the defense approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.