BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Forgive me, for I have sinned! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damir Colo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I have a new addiction.... it's called; Board Games devil

It started with Ticket to Ride, I was laughed at by friends. "Why did you buy that, nobody's gonna play". After 2 games, they started planning gaming nights.
Then came 'the Resistance', that was too much. 3/4 times a week we played it for several hours.

Last week I asked you guys for recommendations and I got really good ones. Our new addiction is Citadels, we keep playing it.
I bought Small World as well, that one is played less unfortunately, I like it a lot.

I don't even have those for a week and I already want MORE!! Those games triggered it, I'm already looking for new games. Each day I'm on BGG trying to discover new games, and I keep finding new cool games!

I have found a few games I'd like, but they're hard to find:
Room 25
Lifeboats
Diplomacy
Cosmic Encounter
Dixit

Room 25, Lifeboats and Cosmic Encounter really caught my attention. But the first 2 are really hard to find. And Cosmic Encounter is pretty expensive, if we don't like it's a bigger waste than €15-20.

Does anyone know how Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery is? We love the show, and curious about that game. How does it fit in with the games I already have?

So does anyone have advice for a newly addicted boardgamer? What shall I do, first play the games I have until bored or keep expanding my new collection? Which one to choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus is generally viewed as a fun but decently flawed game. You'll likely want to house rule things to shorten the length of the game. Combat will still remain a weaker part.

+1 to Cosmic Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I say stop buying games. One way to kill a game group of initially eager friends is to keep introducing new games every week. I still have to stop the impulse. Right now, it looks like my group is enjoying a very good game, Tammany Hall, and why should I ruin a good thing? Let's play it for a few more weeks or months and then move on.

Btw, my vote for "Last game you'll ever need" is Clash of Cultures. If you like Civilization pc games, just get this.... especially at the stage of gaming you're at now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Btw, my vote for "Last game you'll ever need" is Clash of Cultures. If you like Civilization pc games, just get this.... especially at the stage of gaming you're at now.

Just know it is between print runs so it is harder find, and it cost more than Cosmic Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's weird, in Toronto I can still find it in stores. Having said that, it will be reprinted next month so the OP can play the games he has until then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club!!! I broke 700 in my collection not long ago (not counting expansions). Everyone has a vice, and mine just happens to be board games. I admit that I too find myself constantly on the hunt for the next best buy AND I have some in my collection I haven't even played yet. shake However, I feel no shame!

I've heard it a lot in these forums that you should play what you have and add (or trade) new ones as you get bored with the others. While I think that is good advice, it doesn't work too well with me. On the scale of gamer/collector, I think I lean just a little more on the collector side. Don't get me wrong...I love playing games. I just find it hard to part with a game unless it truly stinks! Like I said, I like collecting games. (There is worse stuff to collect! whistle)

Anyway, like I said, welcome to the club! There are more people here like you than you can imagine!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I say stop buying games. One way to kill a game group of initially eager friends is to keep introducing new games every week.

I wouldn't go that far. he has only very few games so far, so it makes sens to extend the collection.
But slowly.
You're right, it is probably not a good idea to buy too many games in a short time. And watch your fellows to see how many new games they will accept.
And only buy games you really want, not games just because they are cheap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
and about Spartacus: From it's mechanics and gameflow, this is only an average game with some flaws. Yet, it's very thematic, the fights are thrilling, and if you like the show, it may be fun to play for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damir Colo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
actaion wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:
I say stop buying games. One way to kill a game group of initially eager friends is to keep introducing new games every week.

I wouldn't go that far. he has only very few games so far, so it makes sens to extend the collection.
But slowly.
You're right, it is probably not a good idea to buy too many games in a short time. And watch your fellows to see how many new games they will accept.
And only buy games you really want, not games just because they are cheap...

The price is not a problem, but it's 'harder' to try new games which are expensive. The first game I bought was War of the Ring, was pretty expensive and we don't like it. Hard to get rid of it now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Then you can try Glen More. It's a full-out euro with depth, takes an hour to play, plays 2-5 very well, and cost 25 dollars here (plus tax) whereas other games of its ilk are in the 35 to 40 dollar range. Great game to get a sense of what a dry cube-pushing euro really is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Then you can try Glen More. It's a full-out euro with depth, takes an hour to play, plays 2-5 very well, and cost 25 dollars here (plus tax) whereas other games of its ilk are in the 35 to 40 dollar range. Great game to get a sense of what a dry cube-pushing euro really is

That is a rather dry one for euro lovers, though, don't know if that will fit for this group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It may and it may not. But it's a solid game with a lot to explore. And it's cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

I would say that buying a new game every week or two may be too quick.
Perhaps limit it to no more than a new game every month?

I would also like to mention that Diplomacy is to be handled with caution. I love the game, but it can be very polarizing for players in a group that enjoy short, semi-confrontational games. Definitely do some research in the Dip forums here on BGG and elsewhere on the webs before surprising your group with this gem!

On the topic of Dip being hard to find, you can find Dip map pdf's all over the internet and print them for little cost and squares and rectangles of seven colors can be created in Powerpoint or MS Paint, etc. When I was deployed to Afghanistan I made a set from LEGO bricks (2x1=army, 4x1=fleet) and I drew the map from memory (only made three errorswhistle) though it was not the prettiest map you have ever seen.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you all really like spartacus the tv series I say go for the game too. It is very thematic,the game has its flaws but you'll probably not notice them at first and there are more than enough suggestions floating about to alter it slightly once you begin to find the flaws. I also thought it was fairly cheap for a game (£20 in my FLGS), so even if it isn't a classic and doesnt stand the test of time I've already got 6-7 good plays out of it so I'm happy with 2-3 quid a time for several hours worth of enjoyment for 4 people. That's another point it really needs 4 people. I haven't got the expansion so I can't comment on that yet.

As for Cosmic Encounter it is amazing in my opinion. Also there are so many different races it will stay feeling fresh for a long time and the expansions will increase replayability even further again.

Lifeboats is good but I'm not sure if I'd play it all that regularly if I had it. One of my gaming group has the original version so we crack that out every few months but I could see it getting a bit old if I played it regularly.

Dixit is a great game, I'm going to get a copy myself infact soon. Diplomacy is another fantastic game but very long and you may not have any friends left when you finish. If you want a similar game to Diplomacy perhaps try A Game of Thrones Second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damir Colo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I have told myself to keep 1 game a month, trying to stick with that rule.

My group are 4 guys (including me) and 1 girl. The guys keep saying that they only want games where you can 'screw' the other and lots of interaction. That's why we love TtR, the Resistance and Citadels. The girl is a bit more of the 'play for yourself' games.
They liked Small World, but that one is already a bit slow for them...

Game of Thrones looks cool as well, but I'm worried that it's too serious and that it takes too long to figure it out..

We are not 'pro' gamers, just casual. Are the Spartacus flaws that obvious, or do you really need in-depth knowledge of the game to notice them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
killdrake wrote:
I have told myself to keep 1 game a month, trying to stick with that rule.

My group are 4 guys (including me) and 1 girl. The guys keep saying that they only want games where you can 'screw' the other and lots of interaction. That's why we love TtR, the Resistance and Citadels. The girl is a bit more of the 'play for yourself' games.
They liked Small World, but that one is already a bit slow for them...

Game of Thrones looks cool as well, but I'm worried that it's too serious and that it takes too long to figure it out..

There are variants of Dip that are designed for five players specifically that would fit your group well. If the guys like screwage, then Dip can give them the opportunity of the ultimate backstab. The important thing is to not take the screwage personally and allow it to effect anything outside the game.

Game of Thrones has Diplomacy-like combat mechanics but adds thematic stuff into the mix. Another awesome game I am glad to own. If you try Dip and enjoy it, AGoT would not be a difficult transition later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like your group likes games with a good dose of direct player-to-player interaction and/or negotiation.

If you want to try a "dudes on a map" game (like Diplomacy) but that handles 2-5 in a reasonable playtime, you can't go wrong with Cyclades

It's a fantastic game mechanically and visually. The auction element provides a lot of room for negotiation and table talk, there is combat on the game board, and special power card that let players pull out some craft moves.

Pictures are good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall was referenced earlier and I think that might be a good choice for your group. The game is very simple, and with the right group screwage factor, negotiation and dealmaking/dealbreaking opportunities abound.

And if your group really likes screwage then find a copy ofLifeboats you guys will love that too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:
Welcome to the club!!! I broke 700 in my collection not long ago (not counting expansions). Everyone has a vice, and mine just happens to be board games. I admit that I too find myself constantly on the hunt for the next best buy AND I have some in my collection I haven't even played yet. shake However, I feel no shame!

I've heard it a lot in these forums that you should play what you have and add (or trade) new ones as you get bored with the others. While I think that is good advice, it doesn't work too well with me. On the scale of gamer/collector, I think I lean just a little more on the collector side. Don't get me wrong...I love playing games. I just find it hard to part with a game unless it truly stinks! Like I said, I like collecting games. (There is worse stuff to collect! whistle)

Anyway, like I said, welcome to the club! There are more people here like you than you can imagine!

Good luck!

Yep! Some people buy boats. Other buy board games. A few lucky ones get to buy both... Too bad I'm not that lucky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 5 then you'd need the expansion for spartacus as well. Or if you want to form two people into a team (one runs the scheming and the other the gladiators) then it could be played that way.

The flaws aren't hugely obvious. It can last longer than you'd expect through the screwing each other over though and someone that tries to rush a win and gets clawed back is often so disadvantaged that they never really get back into it again. Some times one of the big gladiators comes out first turn and it feels like whoever gets it is almost invincible in the arena and the others have to gang up for a while until one of them gets someone to challenge that gladiator. Sometimes a player will be forced to pretty much sit and watch as the others can't afford to let them get involved while they can't compete in the arena. There is sometimes a sudden burst of influence and one player ends the game. This usually happens with a player building a hand of intrigue cards that give them multiple gain influence and a pile of gold. They then wait till they are last to go in the intrigue phase and jump up in influence and nobody can stop them. They then save all their money to win the host privileges and get the final one they need. I've only seen this happen once and it meant that someone went from last to winning and the only way they could be stopped was for theplayer on 10 to face them in the arena, win and then their gladiator would become champion thus making it a tie. With the tiebreaker being a another fight in the arena. This meant two other players had to decline the invitation meaning that the game rested on one maybe two fights. Round one saw Theokoles the shadow of death vs Oenamus so very thematic as Doctore was the only person to survive a battle against the shadow of death according to the series. Theokoles came out with just his trusty gladius while Doctore carried a shield, javelin and a spear. The javelin really swung it as the extra attack before they got close was lucky and inflicted 3 hits. Then Doctore was way too quick for theokoles to catch and his hit and runs wore down the giant easily and with one ridiculous final roll the shadow of death was decapitated. Unfortunately for the guy that went from last to first that meant the tie-breaker match was between a starting gladiator and a fully kitted out Oenamus... it didn't last long. This felt like a truly epic game and even the two players not involved were cheering along.

There is a lot of screwing each other over in the game. For example you put Spartacus in against a mid tier gladiator say Gnaeus, thinking you are sure to win then someone rigs the match and you are forced to put a different gladiator in instead, but you sold all of your other gladiators thinking you wanted to save money on upkeep. So now you have to put in slave girl number 3 versus Gnaeus. About 20 seconds later she is in pieces on the arena floor and your opponents are laughing at you. Or perhaps someone asks for your help to complete and intrigue. In return they pay you 2 gold only to smash your influence or steal more gold off you.

The game does make you feel like you're a Dominus scheming against your rivals. I'm hoping the expansion adds to the game and makes having multiple weapons important for reasons other than depriving your opponents of any equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus is great fun - but both games I've had so far have dragged on until people have to leave, or give up caring who wins. And these were "quick" games too (where you start halfway on the influence track).

(these were 5 and 6 player games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
One way to kill a game group of initially eager friends is to keep introducing new games every week.

Dependent on the group I think. I'm buying a lot of new games, so each session we have usually has a new game. As long as our group also gets to play our favourites, everyones happy. And very happy in some cases (like after I introduced Dixit to them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spin The Bottle
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
You should try "Game of Thrones" board game, my friends and I love that game! and keep playing! don't stop, this games help us to increase intelligence level and also it gives you a better perspective for strategies in real life

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
It's weird, in Toronto I can still find it in stores. Having said that, it will be reprinted next month so the OP can play the games he has until then

Correct. I found a copy of El Grande at a store even though it is OOP. You can find games at that level. It's just there is no way for a store to order more so you have to get lucky at finding the game out in the wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy will be tons of fun for several weeks. And it sounds like you have a good, consistent group of five regulars, which is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.