Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Pacific Rim - No Spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Went to see this last night, and I loved it. Watching giant robots and giant monsters duke it out made the small child in me VERY happy. I watched a lot of the old Kaiju movies as a kid and it was great to see them done well in a modern age.

I'll be interested to see what the general populace thinks about it!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My cultural companion and I were talking about seeing this movie last night. She's a fan of del Toro's work and expressed an interest in seeing it even though she did not understand the plot. We may go this weekend.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen it, but from the trailers I think it should be subtitled "I Can't Believe It's Not Transformers".
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
My cultural companion and I were talking about seeing this movie last night. She's a fan of del Toro's work and expressed an interest in seeing it even though she did not understand the plot. We may go this weekend.


From an early review I've read: it depends on what your companion likes about del Toro. If she thinks it'll be close to the quality or creativity of Pan's Labyrinth, she may be disappointed. It's closer to del Toro channeling Michael Bay. Which might still be appealing...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I haven't seen it, but from the trailers I think it should be subtitled "I Can't Believe It's Not Transformers".


Not at all. That would be like saying that Bram Stoker's Dracula and Twilight are basically the same thing because they both have vampires in them.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
scribidinus wrote:
My cultural companion and I were talking about seeing this movie last night. She's a fan of del Toro's work and expressed an interest in seeing it even though she did not understand the plot. We may go this weekend.


From an early review I've read: it depends on what your companion likes about del Toro. If she thinks it'll be close to the quality or creativity of Pan's Labyrinth, she may be disappointed. It's closer to del Toro channeling Michael Bay. Which might still be appealing...


That's a great point, Rob. I think he paid homage to the old Kaiju movies while still adding his own flair to it...and when you have giant monsters and giant robots fighting channeling a little Michael Bay isn't a bad thing!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tickets for Me and The Boy for tonight!

To the drafthousemobile!

I think I'll like the parts with
Spoiler (click to reveal)
monsters and giant robots fighting
.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I haven't seen it, but from the trailers I think it should be subtitled "I Can't Believe It's Not Transformers".


Not at all. That would be like saying that Bram Stoker's Dracula and Twilight are basically the same thing because they both have vampires in them.
Like I said, I haven't seen it. The ads, at least the ones on TV here, seem to be deliberately making it look like a Transformers movie.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people who "predict" the success of a movie based on polling. The opening weekend is pegged at about $30 million and they are predicting a flop at that rate. The movie cost $185 million to make.

I'm going to see it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinando Woicickoski
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I haven't seen it, but from the trailers I think it should be subtitled "I Can't Believe It's Not Transformers".


Not at all. That would be like saying that Bram Stoker's Dracula and Twilight are basically the same thing because they both have vampires in them.
Like I said, I haven't seen it. The ads, at least the ones on TV here, seem to be deliberately making it look like a Transformers movie.


To me the trailer make it looks like Del Toro wanted to make evangelion but did not get the rights for it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything about the trailers that would make me think of Transformers. Just my opinion, though...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
even though she did not understand the plot



kaiju vs mecha is not all that difficult to understand

Ferdinand Took wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I haven't seen it, but from the trailers I think it should be subtitled "I Can't Believe It's Not Transformers".


Not at all. That would be like saying that Bram Stoker's Dracula and Twilight are basically the same thing because they both have vampires in them.
Like I said, I haven't seen it. The ads, at least the ones on TV here, seem to be deliberately making it look like a Transformers movie.


To me the trailer make it looks like Del Toro wanted to make evangelion but did not get the rights for it.


BINGO
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I haven't seen it, but from the trailers I think it should be subtitled "I Can't Believe It's Not Transformers".


Not at all. That would be like saying that Bram Stoker's Dracula and Twilight are basically the same thing because they both have vampires in them.
Like I said, I haven't seen it. The ads, at least the ones on TV here, seem to be deliberately making it look like a Transformers movie.


First thing I thought of was Power Rangers.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I haven't seen it, but from the trailers I think it should be subtitled "I Can't Believe It's Not Transformers".


Not at all. That would be like saying that Bram Stoker's Dracula and Twilight are basically the same thing because they both have vampires in them.
Like I said, I haven't seen it. The ads, at least the ones on TV here, seem to be deliberately making it look like a Transformers movie.


First thing I thought of was Power Rangers.




more of a gundam thing....oh hell maybe theyll get to doing a whole slew of terrormecha movies
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Ferdinand Took wrote:


To me the trailer make it looks like Del Toro wanted to make evangelion but did not get the rights for it.


I was reading this article yesterday - apparently one of the writers was a fan of Evangelion, but del Toro hasn't seen it :

Quote:
Del Toro has hotly denied allegations that Pacific Rim was influenced by “Evangelion,” stating that he’s never even seen the series (“I own the DVDs but I’ve never taken them out of the plastic”), though the film’s screenwriter, Travis Beacham, actively admits to being an “Evangelion” fan, and has clearly embedded a handful of easter eggs to that effect in his script.

“I do see some influences — for example, the Jaegers being carried into combat on cables suspended from aircraft, the process of synchronizing with the robots, and some of the early prototypes Jaegers having EVA-like design,” says Gilles Poitras, author of “The Anime Companion.” “But on the whole I feel like the influences are being used in a very original way — they’re influences, not borrowings.”
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I don't see anything about the trailers that would make me think of Transformers. Just my opinion, though...


I'm the opposite. There is almost nothing in the world that doesn't make me think of Transformers.

Transformers rule.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
There are people who "predict" the success of a movie based on polling. The opening weekend is pegged at about $30 million


I guarantee this will be hugely wrong.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
moviemom had this to say:

I know there’s only one question you have about this movie, and the answer is yes. If you ever wanted to see a movie with giant monsters battling giant robots, this is it.

And if you ever wanted to see a movie that is nothing but giant monsters battling giant robots, this is that movie.

Not much more to say after that. And thankfully, director Guillermo del Toro understands that. I don’t remember ever seeing a movie that gets to the point so quickly. Less than a minute into the running time there’s a monster attacking a city and cars falling off a bridge and moments later, we get, you guessed it, a monster fighting a robot. And it’s pretty much monsters and robots from then on.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. These are some mighty fine monsters and robots.


http://blog.beliefnet.com/moviemom/2013/07/pacific-rim.html
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Phil of Mars wrote:
moviemom had this to say:

I know there’s only one question you have about this movie, and the answer is yes. If you ever wanted to see a movie with giant monsters battling giant robots, this is it.

And if you ever wanted to see a movie that is nothing but giant monsters battling giant robots, this is that movie.

Not much more to say after that. And thankfully, director Guillermo del Toro understands that. I don’t remember ever seeing a movie that gets to the point so quickly. Less than a minute into the running time there’s a monster attacking a city and cars falling off a bridge and moments later, we get, you guessed it, a monster fighting a robot. And it’s pretty much monsters and robots from then on.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. These are some mighty fine monsters and robots.


http://blog.beliefnet.com/moviemom/2013/07/pacific-rim.html


Hang on, hang on, hang on - are you saying that it does what Transformers did not do? That is - be about the ostensible subject matter (giant alien robots beating/shooting the sprockets out of each other) for the vast majority of the time, instead of wandering off on extensive tangents (with the squishies).

Cos if that IS the case, then this just got bumped from "sure, I'll watch it" to "I'm going tonight".

(nope, did not dislike Transformers, despite not preferring Bay's physical designs; re-watched all three just this week; just think they could have been better)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
From what I read, there is a plot.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
But apparently it involves Monsters fighting Robots and Robots fighting Monsters.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll see it on DVD/on demand. I don't go to many movies right now but it looks decent enough
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
save your money


just got back....it is soooo bad. terrible movie....still liked it....but it is terrible
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING!!! Find out which theater in your area has the largest screen showing it and then watch ALL THE SHOWINGS.

But really, it's very very entertaining.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My gripe with the movie (possibly spoiler):

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Why is using weapons their last resort?

They have plasma guns and voltron sword!

Instead of opening with weapons (from range), they instead choose to grapple the kaiju?

Every SINGLE time the kaiju gets close, it damages the mecha.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME!!!

I just got back from seeing Pacific Rim, and have to say that it was one of the most fun movies I've ever seen.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Although I'm not sure that the people who made it understand the whole digital/analogue thing that well.laugh
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.