13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Target Lock question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lesa Ckibunenko
msg tools
Hi to all!
Here is the question: Enemy ship is in my 360 degree range and I lock him, so he have red lock token on him.
What happens if that enemy ship escapes and leave that area of 360 degrees that my ship covers. In other words what happens with red token on enemy ship if he flies away at range more than 3? Do you remove that token?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ckibunenko wrote:
Hi to all!
Here is the question: Enemy ship is in my 360 degree range and I lock him, so he have red lock token on him.
What happens if that enemy ship escapes and leave that area of 360 degrees that my ship covers. In other words what happens with red token on enemy ship if he flies away at range more than 3? Do you remove that token?

It stays until you use it or move it to another ship. It does not matter that it goes out of range (except that you can't use it until it gets back in range).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lesa Ckibunenko
msg tools
Thx for reply! I know that that is rule but does it make sense? I mean by that logic you should be able to lock every ship on entire board because lock on is not related with distance according to that rule. If lock is related with distance then enemy ship that goes on distance of 3+ should remove red lock token.
Take for example fighters. They can lock enemy plane only at certain range. If enemy goes beyond that range, escapes, he is't locked any more. I am right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ckibunenko wrote:
Thx for reply! I know that that is rule but does it make sense? I mean by that logic you should be able to lock every ship on entire board because lock on is not related with distance according to that rule. If lock is related with distance then enemy ship that goes on distance of 3+ should remove red lock token.
Take for example fighters. They can lock enemy plane only at certain range. If enemy goes beyond that range, escapes, he is't locked any more. I am right?

For one, you are limited to only one target lock so you can't lock every ship.

Two, some concessions have to be made as this is just a game and not real. the practicality of it is that once locked, you will usually be in position to use it or use it again shortly. It is just an abstract way of making steps on how to lock on to someone that in real life would be constant and automatic.

So thematically consider that you have selected your target (even though you might not be able to fire on them just yet) and you continue to follow their position even if they fly out of firing range. Once they get back within range and firing arc, the computer automatically locks on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anthes
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ckibunenko wrote:

I don't see any problem with this. Your targeting computer simply has a longer range than your weapons, so even though they are out of weapons range, you can still maintain the lock. When their ship reenters weapons range, you can fire. As far as having to be within range 3 in order to acquire the lock, that can be explained by saying that acquiring the lock is more difficult than maintaining it, so you have to be at a closer range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the Flight simulators allowed you to target any starship in the play area, but you could got get a missile lock on them until you were in engagement range. That's the mentality I use to explain target locks when I think about it.

This also means ST-321 has an incredible sensor suite because it can target lock anything in the playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ckibunenko wrote:

Ugh I'm getting kind of sick of this mentality. "why is that the rule, it doesn't make sense". I see this in x-wing all the time, but never other games.

In Agricola, why can't I put more than 1 animal in my house? Pretty sure a house can hold more than 1 sheep.
In sneaks and snitches, why can't I just snitch on every location but the one I am going after? A thief could make more than 1 phone call.

The rules give the game structure, balance, and keep it fun. Stop trying to make everything reality-based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anthes
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
Ugh I'm getting kind of sick of this mentality. "why is that the rule, it doesn't make sense". I see this in x-wing all the time, but never other games.

In Agricola, why can't I put more than 1 animal in my house? Pretty sure a house can hold more than 1 sheep.
In sneaks and snitches, why can't I just snitch on every location but the one I am going after? A thief could make more than 1 phone call.

The rules give the game structure, balance, and keep it fun. Stop trying to make everything reality-based.

I think it just shows how well the theme works. People stop thinking of it as a game and more like of simulation of actual space battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine a lasso. I can probably get it around you when you're near me. But I probably can't hit you with it when you're far away. But once it's on you, you can go running around wherever you want, and I'm still holding onto a rope that's around you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:

Ditto X 10

Sometimes it just makes the game work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:

Snarly_Yow wrote:
Ditto X 10

Sometimes it just makes the game work.

I guess you don't spend much time in the Zombicide forums. I've lost count of the threads and posts stating "This rule is stupid. Why would I shoot my friend if he's in the same zone as a zombie? That's soooo unthematic. I'm going to {house rule / sell / burn} this game because that rule is so dumb." That rule even put Zombicide on a Dice Tower most over-rated games list.

Meanwhile, without that rule, the game is too easy and melee weapons are pointless (aside from opening doors). That rule makes the game work. And even from a theme perspective, it isn't that hard to imagine that an untrained regular Joe (or Joanne) under pressure might shoot his/her buddy who is wrestling with a zombie (or twelve).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it would be a pretty fun variation to say that a target lock stays on a ship even after shooting it (like you don't have to spend it). But a target lock can be broken by moving out of ark or out of range.

I'm not trying to say anything about the rule one way or another. I just think it would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckibunenko wrote:

That would be the case with our primative Earth technology but not for the targeting computers of a time long ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.