Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I was going for a gaming session in Kelvs shed and was waiting to pay the bus driver whilst he wittered a way on the phone. He was telling someone (called Paul) that he was behind schedule, as he had to throw some bloke off the bus for sexually assaulting a woman. I then listened to him say the same thing to another bus drive who came over for a chat.

When we got to the first major stop with a lot of passengers boarding he waited till they were all seated then turned round and said that the reason he was late was that he had to throw a bloke of the bus for attacking a woman (not sexually assaulting in this version).

Now (of course this may not be the whole story) it seems to me that in his eyes the fact he had thrown the bloke of the bus was all he had to do. There was no indication he called the police or thought he should.

Is this do you think a common attitude, that sexual assault is not really that serious, or is this bloke just an arse? (assuming of course this is all there is to the story).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Yesterday I was going for a gaming session in Kelvs shed and was waiting to pay the bus driver whilst he wittered a way on the phone. He was telling someone (called Paul) that he was behind schedule, as he had to throw some bloke off the bus for sexually assaulting a woman. I then listened to him say the same thing to another bus drive who came over for a chat.

When we got to the first major stop with a lot of passengers boarding he waited till they were all seated then turned round and said that the reason he was late was that he had to throw a bloke of the bus for attacking a woman (not sexually assaulting in this version).

Now (of course this may not be the whole story) it seems to me that in his eyes the fact he had thrown the bloke of the bus was all he had to do. There was no indication he called the police or thought he should.

Is this do you think a common attitude, that sexual assault is not really that serious, or is this bloke just an arse? (assuming of course this is all there is to the story).

I think he did what he had the direct power to do. I imagine if the woman had wanted it reported he would have done so, but that would be her choice and not his, though why he would natter on about it is a bit odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I think he did what he had the direct power to do. I imagine if the woman had wanted it reported he would have done so, but that would be her choice and not his, though why he would natter on about it is a bit odd.
If I were to witness a crime I would report it. Also he does have the "power" to make a citizens arrest and then call the police. As (according to his story) he had to force the bloke to leave the bus I would have thought he would not even have had to restrain the bloke whilst calling the police.

But I suspect you are correct, he did what he was required (and empowered) to and no more. This (in essence) is my point. Did he think he had done enough (as it was all he had to do) even though he could have done more), and was it enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

If I were to witness a crime I would report it. Also he does have the "power" to make a citizens arrest and then call the police. As (according to his story) he had to force the bloke to leave the bus I would have thought he would not even have had to restrain the bloke whilst calling the police.

But I suspect you are correct, he did what he was required (and empowered) to and no more. This (in essence) is my point. Did he think he had done enough (as it was all he had to do) even though he could have done more), and was it enough?

This is the rub, if he reports it and she doesn't want to then it will amount to no more than a waste of police resources. I would venture the proper thing to do would be to ask if she wishes to report it, affirm his willingness to support her if she does, and respect her choice. Perhaps provide his name/comlany number should she change her mind.

The arrest is a terrible idea. A bus full of of people and you want to try to keep someone who has already assaulted one of them trapped in a confined space with them? Maybe that works out, maybe the guy is a nutter and starts cutting people. Th risk/liability is just too high for too many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

I think the only "arse" here is you.

You said that the driver changed his story several times. So, you really don't have any idea what happened on that bus.

But, you don't want to let that get in the way of your holier-then-thou rant. For all you know, it was just some asshole who was being loud and obnoxious to some woman, who then left the bus when asked.

No, you are right. Let's just start throwing around unsupported accusations and calling people "arse's".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

You said that the driver changed his story several times. So, you really don't have any idea what happened on that bus.

But, you don't want to let that get in the way of your holier-then-thou rant. For all you know, it was just some asshole who was being loud and obnoxious to some woman, who then left the bus when asked.

No, you are right. Let's just start throwing around unsupported accusations and calling people "arse's".
He changed his story once, not several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
bobby_5150 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So, are you saying that you know what really happened, or are you trying to defend your stupid post with bullshit nitpicking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bobby_5150 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So, are you saying that you know what really happened, or are you trying to defend your stupid post with bullshit nitpicking?
No, I am pointing out the irony of you attacking me for making a judgement based on lack of knowledge (which in fact I acknowledge in my OP) by saying something that is factually incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bobby_5150 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

As Mark Twain is famously credited with saying, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
The bus was parked on a cliff.

Happy now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
]No, I am pointing out the irony of you attacking me for making a judgement based on lack of knowledge (which in fact I acknowledge in my OP) by saying something that is factually incorrect.

It seems like you are missing the point.

I'm calling you out for making this post without knowing what happened and then making a stupid statement like...

Quote:

You know, you should really go work with Nancy Grace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:

How likely is it that someone would describe "being loud and obnoxious" as 'sexually assaulting'?

In any case, if someone says "of course this may not be the whole story" and ends with "assuming of course this is all there is to the story" it's a bit bizarre to jump on them for "throwing around unsupported accusations".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think at BGG.CON any time someone is being loud and obnoxious we should just say, "Wow, that dude is sexually assaulting me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda depends on what happened, if it had been an assault of any nature I'd call the police even as a passer by. Even if the victim doesn't press charges if you witness such an act you can get the offender stopped, searched and possibly lifted for discretionary charges. People that commit crimes often do so in areas where they are known by the police, often are carrying contraband, may be wanted on other charges and often they talk themselves into additional charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the driver was busy checking his salad for the time and didn't see what was happening and the other passengesrs already reported the crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You tell us, Slater, why did you get thrown off that bus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
The bus was parked on a cliff.

Happy now?
It's rout goes no where near any cliffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
]No, I am pointing out the irony of you attacking me for making a judgement based on lack of knowledge (which in fact I acknowledge in my OP) by saying something that is factually incorrect.

It seems like you are missing the point.

I'm calling you out for making this post without knowing what happened and then making a stupid statement like...

Quote:

You know, you should really go work with Nancy Grace.
Bolded for you to make it easier to see. As I said I stated I knew this may not be the full story. The point of a discussion is to discus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
The bus driver probably just woke up late.
That was another thought that had crossed my mind, it was a bullshit excuse and nothing more. Hence the comment about him being an arse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gvchief wrote:
You tell us, Slater, why did you get thrown off that bus?
Actually I did (latter on) find out that a friend of a friend (yes I have some) had been arrested for indecent exposure that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Maybe the driver was busy checking his salad for the time and didn't see what was happening and the other passengesrs already reported the crime.
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.