Subject: Incentive To "Install" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Allen
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We played our first full game of CO2 last night (4 Players) and found that everyone had a severe reluctance to perform the Install action. We felt that there just wasn't enough personal incentive to "Install", because you're just setting up one of the other players to follow up with a "Construct" action on the plant we just "Installed".

Are we missing something? Is "Install" maybe too weak, or is "Construct" maybe too strong?

............ Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look in this thread: Stalemate on Installing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
or this: is-the-techincome-track-too-powerful;
or maybe this: one-sentence-random-tips-to-get-advantages-in-co2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short version is that installing a plant is better than you think and constructing a plant is worse than you think.

To use a simple example, installing a recycling plant gives you 2.5 VP ($5) plus other benefits that are hard to monetize (e.g., CEP in hand vs. CEP in region). Constructing the same plant give you 1.5 VP (5 VP - $7) and costs you a cube (though it benefits you in the race for region control, expertise, and UN Goals).

One other thing that new players overlook far too frequently is that earning money from actions is worth VPs. And not just the $2:1VP at the end of the game. If you earn money from actions, you can take your income as VPs. If you spend money on your actions to earn VPs, you have to take income as money (to keep spending to get VPs). So in the recycling plant example above, the guy who gains $5 can take more VPs during income and the guy who spent $7 will be more likely to have to take money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
If you earn money from actions, you can take your income as VPs. If you spend money on your actions to earn VPs, you have to take income as money (to keep spending to get VPs). So in the recycling plant example above, the guy who gains $5 can take more VPs during income and the guy who spent $7 will be more likely to have to take money.

I'm confused. I've read through the rule book a few times, and I haven't seen this listed. Could you site where you see this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
I'm confused. I've read through the rule book a few times, and I haven't seen this listed. Could you site where you see this?

"1.1 Distribute income
Players may choose to receive their Income as money and/or victory points."

And/or, so you can take any combination you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but that's income. Player's actions that produce money don't seem to use the word income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Right, but that's income. Player's actions that produce money don't seem to use the word income.

I think you're misunderstanding my post.

If you spend your actions earning money, you have the flexibility take your income as VPs because you don't need money (you earned it during your actions).

If you primarily spend your actions earning VPs (spending money), you lose that flexibility. You are much more likely to take your income as money in that case (which costs you VPs overall).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:

He is saying the following, you have 2 players, and let's say they each have $7 and an income level that will be 7 in the upcoming income round.

A: $7
B: $7

A: Installs Recycling plant: $7 + $5 = $12
B: Constructs Recycling plant: $7 - $7 = $0, +5 VP

Income Round:
A: (takes all points) $12, +7 VP
B: (takes all money) +$7, 5 VP

So now player A is 2 VP ahead in VP, and $5 ahead in money which is 2.5 more VP. Now of course, this example is super simplified, but this is what we are getting at, using your money, means you need to take money, while having money means you can take VP during the income round, and that is the most efficient way to get VP.

Edits: I forgot my money! Thanks Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:

I guess I'm confused about where you're confused, because Ben didn't use the word income for player actions, he specifically said actions can earn money. He's not saying anything other than the rule you know.

All Ben said was that if you earn money with actions, then when income time rolls around, it's much easier to take income as vps, because you already have money. When you're broke and income time rolls around, you're taking a good chunk of income as money, not points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
So now, they still have the same money, but player A is 2 VP ahead.

Excellent example, but player A should have more money ($12 to B's $7), so he's 4.5 VPs ahead after the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for reading the game so well. I understand that is something that not every people can see in his first play.

Kudos to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Thank you guys for reading the game so well. I understand that is something that not every people can see in his first play.

Kudos to you.

I have experience playing Age of Industry, which has this type of cooperative/competition. In that game you sometimes have to ship your goods to someone else's port to make money for yourself. You are helping them as well, but as long as you help yourself MORE, it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, i see. I read that wrongly. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good points about the advantages of installing as opposed to constructing (and having only played solo so far I hadn't appreciated these subtleties), but presumably you also have to take into account the fact that the player who constructs gets the major benefit of (potentially) controlling of a region worth extra VPs at the game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorwen Finarfin
United States
Lemon Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And controlling let's you spend cep from the region. Separately then comes the company goal cards and U.N. Goals, and their V.P.s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etighe wrote:
And controlling let's you spend cep from the region. Separately then comes the company goal cards and U.N. Goals, and their V.P.s.

Absolutely, which is the source of nuance in the game:

In brute terms, installing is as good as (and is often better than) constructing. But constructing has collateral benefits that are very important. Selecting which plants to construct, and where, is the key to maximizing these collateral benefits.

Most of the people who talk about a stalemate in installation make it sound like every install action is immediately followed by construction. If that's the case, either people are choosing installations poorly or people are constructing indiscriminately. Neither reflects skilled play. I want to focus on specifically installing the plants whose construction does not substantially benefit subsequent players.

I primarily play 2- or 3-player, so the implications and dynamics could end up feeling very different in a 4-5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just got the game, and have not played other than one time solo, but have read just about all these threads, and frankly from this limited experience I think this game is great so far.

I do have a related question. The examples I keep seeing are for recycling. (And occasionally for the Forestation)

My question is, is there ever incentive to install a solar plant?

It seems through my inexperienced eyes that the benefit of 3 cubes is not outweighed by the point gain of construction, like the other example. Yes, if you put your scientist on there you can get some more benefit, but that is true of all the energy sources. Indeed you can get two cubes just by proposing any plant.

What am I missing?

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
My question is, is there ever incentive to install a solar plant?

It seems through my inexperienced eyes that the benefit of 3 cubes is not outweighed by the point gain of construction, like the other example. Yes, if you put your scientist on there you can get some more benefit, but that is true of all the energy sources. Indeed you can get two cubes just by proposing any plant.

Cubes are hard to come by. Yes, you can get 2 by proposing a plant, but that's not enough to build most plants by itself, and you also need a cube to claim a UN goal. And the other proposal spots are also very useful, so you won't just always go for the cubes when proposing.

The other reason to install a solar plant is if you want to build a solar plant. Contrary to these threads, people don't always build "your" projects, because they don't always want to give you free knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.