Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired NW68 and I am really enjoying it. The theme, gameplay, components, everything is outstanding. In working through the many forum threads for the game I stumbled on one regarding revamping NW a bit using miniatures that immediately caught my attention.

I posted in that thread, but as it is quite old I am not sure anyone will see the post as it is a bit buried. I decided to post a new one (hopefully this isn't in bad form?) in the hopes that other people that have either done this or are interested could chime in with their thoughts/ideas.

I am just getting started, so I am mainly brainstorming at this point. I worked up a larger version of the map last night now at about 40"x60" (hope to post pics later). It is pretty rough at this point, but once I get the scale, etc worked out a bit more I figured I would make a cleaner copy or possibly move to canvas as I thought it would look much better and be a bit more durable. I also plan to scale the size back slightly to give a little more table room.

I am now looking into miniatures to use, which is where I could use some suggestions. I have some old Flames of War and A&A figs, that I would have liked to use. However after getting them out I think they are just too large for the map (I believe they are 15mm?).

So now I need to search out some alternate figs. I read the previous posts recommending Picoarmor, which I think look great and many of the models are perfect. But I am unsure on the scale as I have never seen the figures in person. Another option that I like are the CinC models, but again, not all that familiar with them. GHQ is another great option, but the cost to get what is needed might be prohibitive.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions or interest please jump in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you did go GHQ, you might be able to find some "weird war" looking pieces from GW's Epic scale models to flesh your forces out. Some of the Chaos figs could be used for mutants and the like. It has been a while since I checked, but I am almost certain there were some other companies producing 6mm SciFi units/armies out there... most likely UK based companies if memory serves and most likely cheaper than GW. Unfortunately, I have no links for you. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I will take a look around at some of the GW Epic pieces to see how they look. I was kind of leaning toward the 6mm range as that seems like it would be a good scale to work with for this overall, but others are still open for consideration.

As I mentioned, I am not all that familiar with minis in these ranges/scale, so this is the kind of feedback/input I was hoping for.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to toot my own horn, but if you find something in particular with Epic you want... I might have it for trade. I played it a bunch back in the day and have some unpainted Chaos (and other armies) in a bin somewhere. I'm not sure how much you would need. I have NW68, but yet to play it so I don't have a good feel on the units in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I am not real familiar with the line, so I will have to take a look around for some pics to see what might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a couple of pics today (fairly poor, camera phone is all I had handy). They give a bit of an example of scale with the A&A miniatures at least. There are a few in my gallery in addition to the one below.

As I said, I think I need to go with a smaller scale, especially when I consider that the final map will be just a bit smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig,

A couple of UK suppliers of 6mm minis that I've used:
darkrealmminiatures.co.uk
www.exoduswars.com

The Edenites from EW may be good for Black Hand, Pax Arcadia from the DRM for UN and Reich. Maybe check that the shipping isn't magnificently expensive though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips on some sources for figures. I have been looking into each of them as I find time. I found a few so far in the Exodus line that I may be able to make use of. Assuming of course that I go with 6mm.

Based on some suggestions I found in the previous thread, I ordered a few figs from both Pico Armor and CinC, just so I could compare some scales.

I received the Pico stuff yesterday (excellent service by the way!). The figures look great for the scale. However, the infantry, while they look great, may be just too small for my taste. I need to get the final print scale of the map figured out to be sure, but I had something slightly larger in mind for the figs. which has me leaning toward the 6mm stuff once again. I should have a better idea once I get some 6mm figs in. I really like these and I think they would work fine, but I can't imagine how tricky these are going to be to paint or how much, if any detail I can get on them.

For now, here is a quick shot of some Pico bits on the current map (likely to be reduced slightly still).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think the pico bits will be discernible from each other? I think the size looks good if so. It is hard to tell without having them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a bit of a challenge for some of the less distinct pieces. I only picked up a few different models to "sample". The infantry would have to be differentiated by paint/color I think, they have some detail, but not enough to pick out different types from range. The vehicles might not be quite so bad. Here is a quick pick of an M113 next to a T62.

I know exactly what you mean about being hard to tell without having them in front of you, which is why I decided it was easier just to order a few to test instead of trying to rely on pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping isn't too bad from the UK..

http://www.heroicsandros.co.uk/heroics/pdf/webcat.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.