Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are on the Kickstarter front page.

They said gameplay videos are coming soon.

There's a review by FatherGeek on BGG here,and it's linked on the KS front page..
There's also another review (Purple Palace??)on the Kickstarter front page.

If you just visit the actual Kickstarter page, you'll get all of what you're requesting. Are you sure you even took a look at the entire front page? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessferret wrote:
Brant,

I meant to type VIDEO reviews. Yes, I did see the page but it is still lacking. I thought the rules were lackluster too (only two pages of substance). So I just want to see more. I have backed a lot of Kickstarters and I just expect a lot before I put down my money.

Ah ok. That makes a lot more sense then. What's the difference between a written and video review though?
Why does it have to be video?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you on that.
But, I still have confidence this will be a good game.

To get a decent Dice Tower review, I think they need a full production copy of the game though. Or at least a really high quality prototype like Xia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian W
United States
Minneaplis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Chessferret wrote:
I am very interested in the game but there are no video gameplays, no rules, no reviews, and no discussion. Brian or Jon, do you plan to give us more information about your game other than what is on the Kickstarter? I want to pledge for it but I am cautious.

Jack, thanks for the comment. What kind of additional information about the game do you want? As others have mentioned, most of what you have asked for is up there:

Rules are online and downloadable from the Kickstarter page.

We do have several reviews, which are also linked from the Kickstarter page. In addition to the Purple Pawn and Father Geek reviews, you can see some of the blind playtester reviews on BGG here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/984078/ninja-fun-playtes...

Regarding the gameplay video, we are scheduled to film that this Saturday (though there's a chance we won't get it until Wed, depending on whether our video guy falls through).

We have not paid for video reviews (ones like Dice Tower are actually paid previews, not true reviews) because we do not have a production prototype of the game -- we instead have a pretty rough-looking prototype (as Father Geek mentions in his review) with spray-painted zombies instead of ninjas, and a board with very little artwork. A video preview would actually give you a worse view of the components than the images on the Kickstarter page do. In the end, we felt it was likely to do more harm than good and wasn't the best use for our advertising dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Osterhoudt
United States
Bow
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send me a prototype and I'll do a video preview/review for free.

That being said, this is one of the better Kickstarter pages I've seen. Really excited about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I think part of the issue with this ks is that to much info was given right off the bat.

The front page shows concept art minis much of the board leaving little fodder for updates.

Updates get backers back on the page and talking.

Maybe they could do clan bio updates to flesh out the clans?

Another room close up couldn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian W
United States
Minneaplis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yeah -- one of the lessons learned is to hold stuff back. I think there's a delicate balance there, however -- we tried to show as much as we could to demonstrate that it is a complete and awesome game. But we probably could have shown, say, one mini sculpt and released a new image every few days.

Another smart move probably would have been to find things to remove from the game, and then make them "stretch goals" with the idea of having the entire game there if it's funded. I see other games do this, and it always bugs the heck out of me, but I suppose they do it for a good reason.

But clan previews is a good idea -- we were planning to include clan bios in the final game rulebook, and there's no reason why we can't start showing them off early!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian_W wrote:
Another smart move probably would have been to find things to remove from the game, and then make them "stretch goals" with the idea of having the entire game there if it's funded. I see other games do this, and it always bugs the heck out of me, but I suppose they do it for a good reason.

Yeeaah....don't do that. It just pisses people off. Just take a look at Dark Darker Darkest for an example of what not to do. whistle

What you can do, is design the game with a lot of extra stuff initially, and then pare it down for the release version.
Then use all that extra stuff for expansions, add-ons, and stretch goals.

You can also get away with updates that contain add-ons. That way, these don't cost you money per se, as backers will be financing it. It's a way to keep things moving, getting more updates, and getting more money per backer, as well as more backers.

Even if they're small add-ons like the two additional scenarios that are already being added will work. Having a bunch of $10-20 add-ons will get the average pledge up quite a bit. If it's feasible for you or not remains in question. But, it's an idea worth considering.

I also think doing artwork updates, showing specific cards, tiles, and scenarios are good update fodder to keep the pledges moving, and comments happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian W
United States
Minneaplis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ghool wrote:

Yeeaah....don't do that. It just pisses people off. Just take a look at Dark Darker Darkest for an example of what not to do. whistle

Heh, he says, linking to a game funded at $200k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian_W wrote:
Ghool wrote:

Heh, he says, linking to a game funded at $200k

Ah but it was fraught with all kinds of problems. I watched the drama unfold first hand, and if you look at Kicktraq, there were several days in a row where they lost backers and money rather than gained it.

Considering it got over half of that $200k in the first three days, that's a sign there were problems throughout the campaign.

Seriously though, the level of nerdrage over that campaign was astronomical due to some of the game being held back for stretch goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Ward
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I'm one of the backers for DDD, and was from early in the campaign.. and there were a LOT of moves by the backers, and a lot of times when I considered dropping or even pulling my pledge entirely.

I'm excited by the transparency shown by the Shuriken folks (though I think a little more interaction, updates etc on the KS page would be beneficial), and excited to play the game when it comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
msg tools
I was one of the playtesters through several stages of the game (I appear in the video as well once it gets posted), and I'd be happy to answer questions from a player's perspective if that would help anyone on the fence.

Full disclosure: I am a backer of the project as well and a friend of the designers, not a blind playtester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
lazepoo wrote:
I was one of the playtesters through several stages of the game (I appear in the video as well once it gets posted)

Video has been posted now on the kickstarter page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.