Subject: A few rule/procedure questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
- Yes, a pilot can have multiple focus tokens, but a pilot cannot take the same action twice, so they cannot take two focus actions. So Night Beast, in your example, will get his free focus action, but will have to use his regular action for something else. If a pilot is going to get multiple focus tokens it will usually be because of an ability such as Soontir Fel or Garven Dreis.

- The order for activation is execute maneuver, check stress, take action. So if a ship is stressed and executes a green maneuver the stress will clear before their action step, and they can take an action normally.

- No, ships are not obstacles

- When you back up after an overlap, you back up until the point where you are not overlapping, but are just touching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hendersondayton wrote:
So that i can relay this message, can you tell me where in the rulebook the issue about not being able to perform the same action shows up?

Thanks for the response

Page 9, toward the bottom in bold font.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hendersondayton wrote:
Buhallin wrote:
- Yes, a pilot can have multiple focus tokens, but a pilot cannot take the same action twice, so they cannot take two focus actions. So Night Beast, in your example, will get his free focus action, but will have to use his regular action for something else. If a pilot is going to get multiple focus tokens it will usually be because of an ability such as Soontir Fel or Garven Dreis.

Would Luke's ability qualify?

Luke's ability is not an action, nor does it give you a focus token. It simply allowes Luke to change one focus result (eye on a defence dice) to an evade result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hendersondayton wrote:
So Garvens ability is pretty much useless to anyone who already spent a focus token? For example..using him in a two ship game.

A ship can have and can spend as many Focus tokens as it wants in a turn, assuming you have some special abilities that can get multiple Focus tokens onto the same ship (since ships can never perform the same action twice in the same turn).

Spending Tokens is not the same as Performing an Action.

So, in your example, if I have Garven Dreis and a Rookie Pilot, the Rookie Pilot could move and perform the Focus action (and gains a Focus token for doing so), then Garven could perform his own Focus action and gain a Focus token. Later, when Garven attacks, he could spend his Focus token and use his special ability to give the token to the Rookie Pilot, who now would have two Focus tokens. The Rookie would only need to spend one on his own attack, but could have another token still handy to spend on defense rolls if he gets attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
hendersondayton wrote:
So Garvens ability is pretty much useless to anyone who already spent a focus token? For example..using him in a two ship game.

No, spending a focus token is not an action so if you somehow have more than one you can spend them all during a single round.

ninja ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hendersondayton wrote:
ok. there was teh confusion....spending and performing are different. I can only Perform one Action (IE add a focus token) but I can spend more than one later if somehow (thru Garvens ability) I was given a second Focus token.

Makes more sense.

You got it...

There is a difference in getting a free action and getting a free token. If you get a free action, you may not use it to take an action you already have taken. But if you get a (or multiple) free tokens, you can use them anyway you want (except to reroll a already rerolled dice). Tokens are not actions, they are tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently though, Garvin can just declare he is spending his focus token during the combat phase and pass it to someone, even if he is performing no attacks.

Threw me off that this can happen, but it's in the FAQ. It would have never occurred to me to think it could work that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arends
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Norsehound wrote:
Apparently though, Garvin can just declare he is spending his focus token during the combat phase and pass it to someone, even if he is performing no attacks.

Threw me off that this can happen, but it's in the FAQ. It would have never occurred to me to think it could work that way.

I don't think that's quite right. Garvin would have to do an attack. If he rolls all hits or blanks, he can choose to spend his focus token to change his eyes (0) to hits, then pass it once spent. If Garvin can't attack another ship and isn't attacked himself, he would have no way of spending the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:

This is incorrect.

Garven can spend the focus when it would accomplish nothing - say you rolled all hits, or were even under a Blinded Pilot critical hit. He can also spend it defensively even if there's no question that the attack would kill him.

In short, you don't have to actually gain anything in order to spend the focus... but you do have to have an opportunity to spend it, specifically during an attack. You can't just burn it on principle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:

The FAQ says he can spend it even if doing so will not change the results of a die roll, not that he can just spend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
hendersondayton wrote:
ok. there was teh confusion....spending and performing are different. I can only Perform one Action (IE add a focus token) but I can spend more than one later if somehow (thru Garvens ability) I was given a second Focus token.

Makes more sense.

Or... Better yet, take a target lock action with the rookie, shoot with Garven, and give the focus token to the rookie who will then have a target lock and focus for his attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.