Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Adams
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever tried playing Hanabi with cards from another game, or found a game that includes the necessary number of cards to play? I'm interested in doing a few playthroughs before I try to convince the wife we need to buy another game.

I tried playing with Uno cards, but was limited to 4 colors, and only 2 1's instead of 3. Still, it worked ok for 2 players. I've also considered 3 decks of normal playing cards, but you'd still be limited to 4 suits instead of 5. Other trick-taking games seem promising, but don't have the requisite duplicate numbers.

Edit: I'd consider a print and play, but it's much easier if I already have some cards ready to go, and don't have to deal with hard to shuffle homemade cutouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another thread on this. I know Five Crowns came up as an option. I'm on my phone or else I'd look it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Adams
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an expensive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burbine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used basic lands from Magic: the Gathering with post-its that had numbers on them in the sleeves for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First rule of boardgame purchasing:

Buy first, convince later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use three decks of normal playing cards and use, say, face cards for the fifth suit. If I had a color printer, I would probably just do print and play, though. When you do it that way, it's easier if you sleeve the printouts with normal cards, instead of playing directly with your homemade cutouts. I apologize if that's obvious information, but your comment on shuffling made me think you hadn't thought of sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just about testing if you like the game. You can see if you like the game with 4 colors. All that effort for a little card game you could just buy for cheap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five crowns:
In each of 5 suits
(3) Face cards
(2) 3's 4's 5's
(1) 6

You have to change the order to Face-3-4-5-6 and use poker chips. Very little effort, if you already have the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Youzwak
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced this to my wife using Five Crowns cards, which was okay, but it was strange going from (2-6) instead of (1-5).
We then got the actual game which is much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering if you could play it with the Decktet but haven't figured out how yet. Ay ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also could be played with 2 or 3 sets of Haggis or Lost Cities cards. Also could be played with 4 decks of identical regular playing cards:

Deck 1: the A-5 of each suit
Deck 2: the A-4 of each suit
Deck 3: the A of each suit
Deck 4: Three aces, Two 2,3,and 4s, and one 5, and transform all of their suits into a big black circle

But we're not talking about playing Warhammer here - the original game only costs like 10-12 dollars, so it is probably just as cost effective to buy the original rather than messing around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.