Subject: Lightsaber deflection. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Bonaccorse
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
This came up in an in house tourney. Need help clarifying.

Lightsaber deflection. Does it stop all damage? Then 1 damage goes to a "Target Unit". Or if an attacker has more than 1 damage to hit with, does it only stop one of the damage points inflicted and the other still make their mark?

And if you have 2 light saberdeflections in hand, what does that mean? Can you stacK?

Thanks guys!

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reflects 1 damage, the rest still hits you. You can use 2 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonbonfilm wrote:
And if you have 2 light saberdeflections in hand, what does that mean? Can you stacK?

Each one can block one damage and send it to a target unit. Doesn't have to be the same unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
This card's wording confused me for the longest time as well. Still does on a certain level. Everyone seems to agree that it redirects just the 1 damage and then your unit still takes the rest though.

I was having a hard time with the wording and also thought that maybe it stopped the whole amount of damage because of the placement of the word "instead":

"When damage is dealt to a friendly non-Vehicle unit, deal 1 point of that damage to another target unit instead."

I think it's just worded poorly though.

And yeah, two Lightsaber Deflections, one right after the other works and can be pretty fun to pull off. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
I was having a hard time with the wording and also thought that maybe it stopped the whole amount of damage because of the placement of the word "instead":

"When damage is dealt to a friendly non-Vehicle unit, deal 1 point of that damage to another target unit instead."

OK, so reword it to say what you thought:

it's the "of that" that makes it a subset of the original damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
OK, so reword it to say what you thought:

it's the "of that" that makes it a subset of the original damage.

Yeah, this pointer does help me, and it's what my one friends was constantly pointing out to me in frustration, hah. It just seems worded weird or something to me. Like a backwards sentence. I dunno.

At least clearly I'm not the only one who is confused by this particular text though since I've seen this question asked a few times, including this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bonaccorse
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Test
Cool! I Appreciate all the clarification fellas. Ill Be better prepared next tourney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever playing with friends, we try to figure it out by the wording. If all else fails, we try to figure out what the intent is and play it like that until we can get an actual clarification.

So, for this card, think of the movies. Someone shoots at Luke and he bounces the blasts back at someone. Try it with other 'confusing' cards, it tends to work well until you can ask Nate/forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saej wrote:
So, for this card, think of the movies. Someone shoots at Luke and he bounces the blasts back at someone.

Or rather, someone shoots at Luke and he bounces the first blast back, then Luke stands there and sucks up the remaining blasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saej wrote:
Whenever playing with friends, we try to figure it out by the wording. If all else fails, we try to figure out what the intent is and play it like that until we can get an actual clarification.

So, for this card, think of the movies. Someone shoots at Luke and he bounces the blasts back at someone. Try it with other 'confusing' cards, it tends to work well until you can ask Nate/forums.

That would just make it more confusing in this case though. For example, in the movies, when Luke deflects a blaster shot back, he isn't still taking half of the blaster shot in the face. He deflects the whole thing, so there's no damage still reaching him. Or else deflecting would be pointless, in the movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each blast damage is a different shot

Mattr0polis wrote:
Saej wrote:

That would just make it more confusing in this case though. For example, in the movies, when Luke deflects a blaster shot back, he isn't still taking half of the blaster shot in the face. He deflects the whole thing, so there's no damage still reaching him. Or else deflecting would be pointless, in the movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one came up in our game on Thursday, another question about this. When deflecting that 1 point of damage against target unit does it have to be a unit in the current battle?

Or can you deflect it onto say Darth Vader who is committed to the force and not in that battle who that 1 point of damage would kill (3/4 damage)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty1982 wrote:
This one came up in our game on Thursday, another question about this. When deflecting that 1 point of damage against target unit does it have to be a unit in the current battle?

Or can you deflect it onto say Darth Vader who is committed to the force and not in that battle who that 1 point of damage would kill (3/4 damage)?

The card does not impose that condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Rusty1982 wrote:

The card does not impose that condition.

In other words, yes it can be deflected to any unit on the board. Even your own. Like if you wanted to use it to bounce Leia Organa and remove all your focus tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.