Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Dark Avengers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
To me, there is only one flaw in Legendary. Given the structure of the game, it's hard to justify creating playable, villainous characters. But how about villains PRETENDING to be heroes?! Here's something I threw together for a 5 character Dark Avengers expansion. Specific thoughts on each character afterward. An overall theme is screwing over the other players, just as you'd expect from this group. Some of the numbers might be off, but I think the concepts are sound. I can't do anything with a computer, so no images!

Ms. Marvel (Moonstone); Avengers

Headshrinker: Cost 3, Common
Instinct
Recruit: 2
Instinct: Reveal the top card of the Villain deck. If it’s a Villain, you may KO a card from your hand or from the HQ.

Phase Form: Cost 2, Common
Ranged
Recruit: +0
Attack: +0
Teleport
Draw a card.
Ranged: Versatile 1

Gravity Blast: Cost 5, Uncommon
Strength
Attack: 4+
Double Ranged: Each player reveals a Ranged Hero or discards a card. +1 attack for each card discarded this way.

Power of the Moonstones: Cost 8, Rare
Ranged
Recruit: 0+
Attack: 0+
Versatile 5
You get +1 Recruit for each of your Instinct cards. You get +1 Attack for each of your Ranged cards.

Bullseye (Hawkeye); Avengers

Sonic Arrow: Cost 4, Common
Ranged
Attack: 2
Whenever you defeat a Villain this turn, each adjacent Villain gets -2 Attack.

Perfect Marksman: Cost 5, Common
Tech
Attack: 3
Double Tech: Defeat a Villain on the Rooftops or Bridge for free.

Pull the Ace: Cost 3, Uncommon [Is there a Gambit card with this name?]
Tech
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a Ranged or Tech Hero, draw it.

Everything’s a Weapon: Cost 8
Instinct
Attack: 4
Draw a card.
The next Hero you play is considered to be a Tech Hero with no text and Attack equal to its cost.

Wolverine (Daken), X-Men

Healing Power: Cost 3, Common [Edited per Enigma's suggestion]
Instinct
Attack: 2+
You may KO a Wound from your hand or discard pile. If you do, you get +1 Attack.

Muramasa Claw: Cost 4, Common
Tech
Attack: 2
A player of your choice gains a Wound. If this effect is defended or negated, put a Wound in the KO’d pile.

Pheromone Manipulation: Cost 5, Uncommon
Covert
Recruit: 3
You may gain a Wound to your hand. If you do, each player passes a card from their hand to the player on their left. If the card you received is cost 0, KO it and draw a card.

Strength Through Suffering: Cost 8
Covert
Attack: 4+
+1 Attack for each Wound in the KO’d pile.

Spider-Man (Venom); Spider-Friends

Sinister Spider-Man: Cost 2, Common
Covert
Attack: 1
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is cost 2 or less, you may KO it.

Alien Bonding: Cost 4, Common
Strength
You may recruit a Hero from the KO’d pile this turn.
Covert: +1 Recruit

Cannibalistic Monster: Cost 6, Uncommon
Instinct
Whenever a Hero is KO’d this turn, you get +1 Attack.

Feeding Frenzy: Cost 7 [Original idea stolen from Zyler7 and tweaked!]
Strength
Attack: 5
Whenever a Hero is KO'd or a Villain is defeated this turn, you get +1 Recruit.

Iron Patriot, SHIELD

Draft Into Service: Cost 3, Common
Strength
Choose up to two Heroes each with cost 0 from the KO’d pile. A player of your choice gains them to their hand.

Rank Restructuring: Cost 5, Common
Covert
Draw a card.
Strength: Choose any number of SHIELD Heroes from your hand and discard pile. A player of your choice gains them.

Star Beam: Cost 6, Uncommon
Ranged
Ranged and Tech: The Mastermind gets -2 Attack this turn.

New Sheriff in Town: Cost 8
Tech
Attack: 6
Whenever you defeat the Mastermind this turn, draw 3 cards.

Moonstone wants to teleport her Phase Form cards to trigger Gravity Blast. I wanted Power of the Moonstones to be nasty like Domino's rare, but with a different twist. You can only choose Recruit or Attack for the Versatile ability, but you can get a little bit of both, in addition, depending on what's in your hand.

Bullseye can't miss and therefore takes out a lot of Villains. The rare further sets up Perfect Marksman and was inspired by the OverPower card of the same name!

Daken is a fast-healing sociopath, so he doesn't care who gets hurt, as long as pain is being dished out. It makes him stronger to watch the world burn, as represented by his rare card. Might team well with his dad?

Knock someone out from the HQ with Moonstone's Headshrinker so only you can recruit them with Venom's Alien Bonding. Keep knocking people out (especially your little guys) to feed the Cannibal. I loved Zyler7's Venom customs, so I borrowed an idea of his for the rare. Bullseye works well to set up the Feeding Frenzy.

I wanted to stay away from Iron Man-type cards for Iron Patriot, and instead kind of made him the anti-Fury. He doesn't KO SHIELD agents (as that would help "Pure Fury," and he wouldn't want to do that), but he does want to "dismiss" them from his organization. Especially mid-game when they're not much needed and you can clog up others' decks. Draft Into Service can be beneficial, but then you're stuck with the weenies. Watch him rise to power by putting the hurt on Masterminds with his star-spangled uni-beam!

Thanks for taking a look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of a set that increases the competitive nature of the game. My thoughts...

Gravity Blast: Cost 6, Uncommon
Strength
Double Ranged: Each player reveals a Ranged Hero or discards a card. +1 attack for each card discarded this way.

Don't really think this card needs to be double range, considering the pay off isn't all that big. Nice effect, though.

Instinct
Draw a card.
The next Hero you play is considered to be a Tech Hero with no text and Attack equal to its cost.

Does this cancel the text, affiliation, and type of the card played? would work for the starting hand, but may not be so good for other cards. Like the idea, but the wording seems...odd. Maybe it's just me. Maybe have the next player reveal the top card of their deck, and it becomes a tech hero with attack equal to cost for the current player. Then that player that revealed the card has to discard it. That seems to go with the theme of competition you want for this
expansion.

Healing Power: Cost 3, Common
Instinct
Attack: 2+
You may KO up to two Wounds from your hand. +1 Attack for each Wound KO’d this way.

Seems a little strong for a common. Maybe just KO one wound for +1 attack.

Alien Bonding: Cost 4, Common
Strength
You may recruit a Hero from the KO’d pile this turn.
Covert: +1 Recruit

I love effects like this.

All in all, i like this set and look forward to seeing them in card form. I really like Iron Patriot's effects that clog up the hands of other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've started making villains-as-heroes characters, as long as they've done it in the comics.

There's a variant posted of the Dark Avengers as a Villain group and there's a custom Venom hero character if you want to compare ideas.

Personally, I wanted the Dark Avengers to suffer horribly as soon as the story arc started, and it took very long to get such satisfaction.

Of all the Dark Avengers, I only liked Moonstone, Ares and The Sentry. Everyone else was too villainous, crazy or jerks (Daken!!!). So as my personal choice, I would rather bash their faces than team up with them.

I imagine many others would enjoy your idea though, cuz Thunderbolts has been a successful comic for a long time, no? Plus it feels good to screw with others (sometimes literally, like Moonstone showed...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Haycraft:

You're probably right on a lot of that. I'd like to keep Gravity Blast's superpower a double ranged, or else it becomes too easy to pull off with her teleporting Phase Forms. Maybe make it stronger? Plus 2 for every card discarded? Although, even if it stays at plus 1, in a 4-player game, that could very well be a regular 7 attack. Still pretty good. On second (third?) thought, I may just leave it as it.

I think you're on the right track with Bullseye, though. I'll think over the wording and modify it later.

Healing Power was originally just as you said, but I think I upped the cost so I also increased the effect. I'll change it back.

Mr. Rodriguez:

This was also partially inspired by what you've been doing. I thought, failing Dark Avengers, maybe there could be a "Villains turned heroes" set with Magneto, Juggernaut, FF Doom, Red Hulk and Superior Spider-Man. I'll post my Superior Spider-Foes Villain set later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Mr. Haycraft:

You're probably right on a lot of that. I'd like to keep Gravity Blast's superpower a double ranged, or else it becomes too easy to pull off with her teleporting Phase Forms. Maybe make it stronger? Plus 2 for every card discarded? Although, even if it stays at plus 1, in a 4-player game, that could very well be a regular 7 attack. Still pretty good. On second (third?) thought, I may just leave it as it.

I think you're on the right track with Bullseye, though. I'll think over the wording and modify it later.

Mr. Rodriguez:

This was also partially inspired by what you've been doing. I thought, failing Dark Avengers, maybe there could be a "Villains turned heroes" set with Magneto, Juggernaut, FF Doom, Red Hulk and Superior Spider-Man. I'll post my Superior Spider-Foes Villain set later!

I'm flattered!

I would leave Doom, Red Hulk and Ock-Spider-Man to you cuz I am criminally unfamiliar with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Ms. Marvel (Moonstone); Avengers

Headshrinker: Cost 3, Common
Instinct
Instinct: Reveal the top card of the Villain deck. If it’s a Villain, you may KO a card from your hand or from the HQ.

Phase Form: Cost 2, Common
Ranged
Teleport
Draw a card.
Ranged: Versatile 1

Gravity Blast: Cost 6, Uncommon
Strength

Power of the Moonstones: Cost 8, Rare
Ranged
Versatile 5
You get +1 Recruit for each of your Instinct cards. You get +1 Attack for each of your Ranged cards.

I love the idea behind this, so I put your Ms. Marvels to card form, it's all only one pic tho, need to find some more Dark Ms. Marvel pics. Here's my card runs as samples:

LONG LIVE H.A.M.M.E.R.!! May you strike down mighty and true!!
--Norman Osborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amazing! Thinking about what Mr. Haycraft said, though, maybe Gravity Blast should be dropped down to a 5 cost.

Thanks for doing that! So cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enigmahfc wrote:
Instinct
Draw a card.

Does this cancel the text, affiliation, and type of the card played? would work for the starting hand, but may not be so good for other cards. Like the idea, but the wording seems...odd. Maybe it's just me. Maybe have the next player reveal the top card of their deck, and it becomes a tech hero with attack equal to cost for the current player. Then that player that revealed the card has to discard it. That seems to go with the theme of competition you want for this
expansion.

Here's a different idea for Bullseye:

Everything's a Weapon: Cost 7
Instinct
KO the top two cards of the Hero deck. You are considered to have played two Tech Heroes with combined Attack equal to the combined cost of those cards.

You don't lose any functionality from you hand, Perfect Marksman gets its double tech and Venom gets fed. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not crazy about the concept, honestly, but I love the Ms. Marvel artwork!

Man, I never realized before how much I love Ms. Marvel. She might be my favorite female superhero....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DarthEd wrote:
Not crazy about the concept, honestly...

Of these particular cards or of using the Dark Avengers in general?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Not crazy about the concept, honestly, but I love the Ms. Marvel artwork!

Man, I never realized before how much I love Ms. Marvel. She might be my favorite female superhero....

I love Ms. Marvel too even if at times she's been a bit brattish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
DarthEd wrote:

The latter. I really like Bendis' work in general, but I've steered clear of that series. Am I missing out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eh, I didn't love it, but I'm not really a Bendis fan to begin with. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed his regular Avengers stuff. But then I'm a villain guy, so maybe it was just the idea that I liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually liked the Secret Six that came out from Villains United in the DC Universe more than Marvel's bad boys groups. Maybe it's because I read them from the very first issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
DarthEd wrote:

The latter. I really like Bendis' work in general, but I've steered clear of that series. Am I missing out?

If I may chime in, I'd have to say that it was a great concept that was really under-utilized. The series they were in was too much of a bridge for the Dark Reign and Siege events. They never really got to shine. (If I remember right it only really lasted about 16 issues.) It was a lot more fun when they showed up in other series, like when Spidey broke into Avengers Tower in a Dark Spider-man costume (New Ways to Die).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this idea is probably dead, but I liked it a lot so I did all the other Dark Avengers cards, but only just got to uploading them, I warn you though, there's not a lot of pic variation on them

There are a couple things that need to be fixed on them, but here they are if anyone was interested in the idea and wanted the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's so cool man, thank you so much. I noticed you dropped the cost on Bullseye's "Draw the Ace." Do we think it would be better that way? Is it not too strong for a 2 cost? I also think it's better to keep Patriot's "Draft Into Service" as gaining cards to the hand, to keep it different from "Rank Restructuring" and to make it useful if need be.

But yeah, they look great! I don't know if anyone noticed, but I intentionally constructed these so that there'd be an equal number of all colors. If anybody does print them out to playtest them, let us know how they interact. I think there are some fun combos in there.

And Mr. Dynamo, if you feel like taking a crack at the Superior Spider-Man, check it out. I might like the ideas for him even more.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1006097/the-superior-foes-of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
That's so cool man, thank you so much. I noticed you dropped the cost on Bullseye's "Draw the Ace." Do we think it would be better that way? Is it not too strong for a 2 cost? I also think it's better to keep Patriot's "Draft Into Service" as gaining cards to the hand, to keep it different from "Rank Restructuring" and to make it useful if need be.
The cost was just an oversite, and what do you mean about Draft Into Service?
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Iron Patriot, SHIELD

Draft Into Service: Cost 3, Common
Strength
Choose up to two Heroes each with cost 0 from the KO’d pile. A player of your choice gains them to their hand.

Rank Restructuring: Cost 5, Common
Covert
Draw a card.
Strength: Choose any number of SHIELD Heroes from your hand and discard pile. A player of your choice gains them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It looks like the very last part of the text got dropped, as it specifies that a player gains them "to their hand." That way it can give someone a boost in a pinch, but then you're stuck with them (unless you have, say, the Sinister Spider-Man).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I've looked at your post and my cards, I've never noticed the drop. Fixed it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan R
United States
ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hand size combo's with Mr Fantastic working as a team could be insane yknow for one shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog, you updating these with what Villains is currently offering?

Adversaries, Bindings, Dodge, Demolish, New Recruits, etc.

If you do, please reply to your post so it hits the subscriptions.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not sure what to do with these, as Bullseye and Venom are now in the game. (And somewhat similar to what I came up with!) Maybe I'll "teleport" Moonstone over to a Thunderbolts set, but that wouldn't be for a while.

I did a couple Heroes for a "Marvel Team-Up" idea with dual team affiliations that I need to type up. I'll put that somewhere soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Gaudet-Labrosse
Canada
flag msg tools
This is fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.