Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Aesop's Fables Discussion
But sometimes, that which we think we want we later learn we didn't really want at all.

Or it could just be humans desire to rationalize.

Or maybe it deals with acceptance. If it truly was impossible for the fox to get the grapes, is it bad to downplay the desire to make yourself feel better? Maybe it could be about not dwelling on the impossible, and moving on with a positive outlook?

Or maybe the grapes were sour the whole time, and in his yearning the fox didn't realize until he was tired and gave the grapes a closer look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to reply, but when I had time my browser wasn't loading the reply box, and now I don't have time... but hopefully I'll remember to come back when I do have time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really embedded in society, but not as many people are aware of where it comes from...

We just mounted a 45 minute children's theater piece using live actors and large scale puppetry to retell 5 of Aesop's Fables. I'm amazed how many people have never heard them before.

(I like the idea of discussing them... I also agree that they seem straight forward, mostly because they are mainly illustrations of morals... maybe the morals are what needs to be up for discussion?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid1280 wrote:
(Copied from BGG WW Book Discussion Group)

The other night, I was browsing at Barnes and Noble when I was drawn in by one of their summer reading tables, was tempted, and I picked up a copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray. While checking out I was informed that Barnes and Noble classics are buy two, get a third free. Being that these books are at a good price point I decided that I would give in and pick up a few more. I chose The Wasteland, and Aesop's Fables.

I chose Aesop's Fables because I thought it would be fun/interesting to examine a fable a week and discuss what it means and how it may apply to the current day. Each fable is, at most, two paragraphs. They're very short, so they're perfect bite-sized stories for our consumption.

Is there any interest? Do you think it would be interesting to post in the Village Square, or just keep here?

I will go ahead and post the first one, and see what we can drum up:

The Fox and the Grapes

A hungry fox saw some fine bunches of grapes hanging from a vine that was trained along a high trellis and did his best to reach them by jumping as high as he could into the air. But it was all in vain, for they were just out of reach. So he gave up trying and walked away with an air of dignity and unconcern, remarking, "I thought those grapes were ripe, but I see now they are quite sour."

Thoughts?

So... is the fox wrong in justifying his action of walking away and giving up or was it a neccesary part of his empowerment to let go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Who's to say the fox isn't correct? Perhaps "sour" means "not worth the effort."

So the question is, does perception alter reality? The fable frames the narrative to imply that the fox is foolish, because the answer is "no." But Werner Heisenberg says "yes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone ever get to try the grapes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Melsana wrote:
I wanted to reply, but when I had time my browser wasn't loading the reply box, and now I don't have time... but hopefully I'll remember to come back when I do have time.

The proper thing to do is to give up and just assume the thread is a load of malarkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Avin wrote:
Who's to say the fox isn't correct? Perhaps "sour" means "not worth the effort."

So the question is, does perception alter reality? The fable frames the narrative to imply that the fox is foolish, because the answer is "no." But Werner Heisenberg says "yes."

My question is: Is that necessary?

I mean, is it possible for the fox to walk away and admit "As fine as those grapes are, I will not be able to get them (until something changes)."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm more intrigued by the fact that the fox can talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fox wins every fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
My thoughts on this exactly followed the progression of of this thread.

-the fox is foolish, self-righteous, and delusional
-then again his acceptance is commendable as its far better than sitting around longing for the impossible.
-but why does he have to create a new "reality" for himself that is not predicated on actual truth?

Then the pendulum swings again and I guess if the actual truth is unknowable then whatever you believe is just as good as true (no one can prove they are not sour).

Still, in this case gnosticism seems the most healthy. Are the grapes sour or sweet? I dunno, the grapes just are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
Then we can widen the definition of "sour." The wasted effort, the unrequited longing, the feelings of failure. Those grapes are sour.

But really, we all apply this cognitive dissonance every day. I can't be happy if I don't think what I have is just right and what I do not have is not right. We naturally try to close those inconsistencies. We live amongst great injustices and horrible things in the world, yet still feel that life is good. We need to go through some sort of similar process to accept the passing of a loved one or we would never get over it. Religion aside, it is a hard thing to get to that point where we've lost someone and eventually feel that it's okay that it is this way.

You can't go around thinking they were the best grapes ever. Besides, grapes you can't eat don't taste as good as grapes you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
Darmnit, I'm going to be going back and forth on this all night.

As Keats wrote, "heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter still." That fox is too pragmatic. I need a little romanticism. I'm driven by an ounce or two of longing. Things like hope and fantasy are in that place of not exactly accepting the reality in front of us.

Gatsby's green light and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goo is great, he gives us sour grapes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
But really, we all apply this cognitive dissonance every day. I can't be happy if I don't think what I have is just right and what I do not have is not right. We naturally try to close those inconsistencies. We live amongst great injustices and horrible things in the world, yet still feel that life is good.

This is my take-away from the fable; adding, is it human nature? If so, should I accept the necessity of thinking things are sour grapes, or challenge it and be more honest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But it was all in vain, for they were just out of reach.

I think this is the crucial statement. If they were too far out of reach that the fox would never be able to reach them, that is a different situation than them being "just out of reach." In this case, it feels like the fox gave up instead of trying harder. Or training to get better. Or spending a little extra time and effort to find something to bridge that minimal gap that separated the fox from success and failure.

In short, the fox gave up and rationalized it. Had the fox given his all (by himself) and applied all available tools (which he didn't) before moving on, then he would have been justified in concluding that these grapes weren't for him and putting them out of his mind. Instead, he justifies not putting forth any more effort than convenient and chooses a rationalization of convenience to not blame himself or his lack of efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Quote:
But it was all in vain, for they were just out of reach.

I think this is the crucial statement. If they were too far out of reach that the fox would never be able to reach them, that is a different situation than them being "just out of reach." In this case, it feels like the fox gave up instead of trying harder. Or training to get better. Or spending a little extra time and effort to find something to bridge that minimal gap that separated the fox from success and failure.

In short, the fox gave up and rationalized it. Had the fox given his all (by himself) and applied all available tools (which he didn't) before moving on, then he would have been justified in concluding that these grapes weren't for him and putting them out of his mind. Instead, he justifies not putting forth any more effort than convenient and chooses a rationalization of convenience to not blame himself or his lack of efforts.

Just when we think we've squeezed all we can from the grapes, rgatti comes in and wows us with this angle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Aren't foxes carnivorous? Maybe the story is about coming to terms with who you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Is there a connection between grapes and whine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
[vote Grapes]
[vote Nightfall]

Frankly, the fox is a whiny bitch and because he can't get what it is he wants, he convinces himself that the object was never worth having.

I have friends who act like this. They're whiny bitches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Laladien wrote:
[vote Grapes]
[vote Nightfall]

Frankly, the fox is a whiny bitch and because he can't get what it is he wants, he convinces himself that the object was never worth having.

But you're voting grapes instead of the fox?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
zd00 wrote:
Laladien wrote:
[vote Grapes]
[vote Nightfall]

They're already hanging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cassandra Project wrote:
VOTE TALLY

Player (4/?) - # - Voted by

nightfall - 1 - Laladien(1)
Not Voting: Fox, Grapes, Aesop

Nightfall votes are denoted by an '*' after the player's name.

Your Moderator has chosen to use the Longest Held Last Vote method for a tiebreaker - This is just for Cassandra system, and there may be a different tiebreaker specified by your Moderator in the ruleset.

Lynch time is at 2:00 PM BGG
Night Action deadline is at 3:00 PM BGG
---------------------

INVERTED TALLY

Voter - # - Voted on

Laladien - 1 - nightfall(1)
Not Voting: Fox, Grapes, Aesop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
Here's my modern retelling:

A man in want of a woman finds himself at a club where he sees a beautiful girl at the bar. Walking over, he shouts over the loud music, "would you like to dance?"

But it was all in vain because the woman fancied not the man and said, "No."

So he gave up trying and walked away with an air of dignity and unconcern, remarking, "You thought I asked you to dance? I said, 'you look fat in those pants."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
zd00 wrote:
Laladien wrote:
[vote Grapes]
[vote Nightfall]

They're the ones who keep messing with the fox. I blame the grapes. That's some devious behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.