Subject: In which the resistance is confused... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This past weekend my wife and I introduced The Resistance (just the basic rules) to two of her cousins and their father. I've never quite seen games like the ones I saw with them. I'll recount one of the games, then summarize some of the oddities that occurred in other games.

Players are myself, my wife, Abby, Jen, and Uncle.

We pass out loyalty cards as normal. At this point, we've played perhaps five games, so everybody should understand the rules and know what to look out for in spies.

I'm a loyal resistance member. Now, who are the filthy spies?

Mission 1
My wife chooses the first team: herself and Jen. Up to this point, every time Jen has been the spy, she's snickered during the eyes closed phase, so she seems clean. The vote passes 3:2 with the dissent being myself and Abby.

Mission 1 succeeds. At least we're 1/3 of the way to victory.

Mission 2
Abby chooses the next team: herself, Uncle, and Jen. My wife and I think Uncle is one of the spies, because he is more talkative in this game compared to previous games. The vote fails 2:3. My wife and I voted against it, and we convinced Jen to follow our lead. I think I can trust my wife.

Jen comes up for a proposal on the second mission, and she proposes herself, my wife, and Abby. I'm not too happy with that and speak my mind. This team is going to fail, as one of them is the spy. Unfortunately my pleas fall on deaf ears, and it passes 4:1 with me being the only nay. I sulk to myself, but my wife and I realize Uncle basically gave himself away.

Lo, and one fail comes up, as I said. Eyes look to Abby as the spy, but she is adamant that it wasn't her. That's exactly what a spy would say.

Mission 3
Uncle is up for proposal. I don't remember what he proposed. It's voted down unanimously, except for himself.

So, its to me. Do I think Abby is the spy or my wife? My wife a good bluffer... she could be hiding behind the Mission 1 success. But, her logic this game has been good. Usually when she's a spy she's more specious in her accusations. With reluctance, I propose myself and my wife. Vote is 3:2 with team members voting for and non-team members voting against except Jen who we get to vote for the two of us.

The cards are dealt, and I'm holding my breath. They're flipped... Success! Great! I think I've figured out the resistance team, and my wife agrees. I'm sure my wife is resistance at this point, and we're reasonably certain Jen is the other clean agent.

Mission 4
My wife quickly proposes the same team plus Jen.

Abby is adamant that this team will fail, but we ignore her. She's pleading for us to put her on the team. She says Jen is the spy.

Votes are 4:1. What? Uncle voted yes? What's going on here? Maybe we made a mistake... Abby is almost livid at our decision not to put her on the team... I'm starting to worry.

Mission 4 cards come up one at a time.

And resistance wins! Abby is in absolute shock, but not what I expected. Her face is full of confusion. She looks at everyone trying to put together words, but can't. My wife and I cheer, but Uncle looks at Jen agape. "Why did you do that? We lost!" "Oh... oops!"

Yep. She was so worried about being caught as the spy that Jen threw a success card to win the resistance the game. Oops is right! The one time she had successfully hidden that she was a spy she helped the resistance win. Poor girl...

Other unexpected stuff that happened that night:
- An Abby/Uncle team was uncovered by asking Uncle if he was a spy and him asking how we figured it out.
- Jen constantly laughing during "spies open your eyes" step giving it away completely.
- Uncle playing a Fail card as Resistance in order to play double agent against the spies, causing massive confusion.
- Two spies winning the game for resistance on round 3 with double Success because they were absolutely sure the other was going to fail it.

All in all it was a great night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's technically illegal for a resistance member to play a fail. More to the point, it isn't useful; the spies will be confused, but they'll still know who everyone is. Although I suppose the spies might give themselves away by being confused, but that's not really a usable tactic once people know it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We explained to them before the game started that if you're resistance you have no choice and must always play success cards. Perhaps we didn't emphasize it enough, though, because he still did it.

There was terrible gameplay all around, but it was still a fun night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.