Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Game: Category 5

After the game of Iron Dragon, Becky was ready to sit out for a little bit. In addition, we had word that one of the other couples was going to be arriving before too terribly much longer. Wanting to play something that would not take all that long and that we could stop before the end without much trouble, we settled on a game of Category 5. The object of the game is to have the lowest score when someone reaches 75 points. Each round, players have 10 cards that they are trying to get rid of. Each turn, players lay on card face down. Cards are then played in order onto the four face-up rows. Cards must be placed at the end of the row that will give the smallest difference. Whoever plays the sixth card in a row must take the other cards as points. In addition, if your card is lower than the last card of any row, you must take a row of your choice at points. Players continue this until they have played all ten of their cards. If no one has made it to 75 points, you start another round.

I started off this game pretty well, not picking up more than a few points. However, Dwight was right there with me, only a point or two behind. Both Jared and Christine did not have such a good start. Christine started off with nearly 30 points, while Jared did a little better with around 25 points. At this point, though, Jared improved his score vastly. He managed to go the second round without getting any points. I barely maintained the lead over Dwight, who managed to hang right there with me. Christine once again had a horrible round. In the third round, Dwight and I continued our duel to hold onto the top spot, while Jared had another good round. Christine finished the round with 72 points, nearly enough to end it. Unfortunately for me, the fourth and final round was not to be mine. Dwight had an amazing round, picking up no points at all. Jared nearly equaled this feat. However, I managed to pick up 14 points, pushing me out any chance to win. Christine finished the game in grand fashion with 29 points.

Final Result:

Dwight -- 31
Stephen -- 40
Jared -- 40
Christine -- 101

Historically I have had some problems getting the hand of this gang. It took me several games before I figured out how to play well enough to not finish last or near last. It doesn't help that this game is vastly different with different numbers of players. Then again, the entire psychology of the game changes wit the different players. All of this helps make this a really great game. While there is some luck in the game, it last long enough for this to be overcome by superb play. All in all, this has become one of my favorite lighter card games. Our total game time was about 40 minutes.

12/31/2005

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.