Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi everyone, we've just started our family holiday and are very much enjoying playing this game. I believe we are technically playing the rules incorrectly so I thought I'd check here.

Each go, a player routinely discards a card and we have been discarding these cards and leaving them face up, as described in the rules.

However for the cards such as Baron and Prince, a player may be forced to discard a card. When this has happens, we have been discarding those cards but not revealing them, I.e. leaving them face down. (Unless, of course, someone discards the princess in which case they are out so may as well reveal the card)

Am fairly sure this is technically wrong, however we are quite a few games into playing this now and as a group we thought that revealing the cards discarded from baron or prince would make the game a lot easier in terms of deducing who has what. So, we've stuck with it and are having lots of fun.

Are we playing a variant, does anyone else play in the manner described?!

Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To my knowledge -- EVERY discard is face up.

Makes some plays much more dangerous.

Edit: I ninja all day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing a variant. Rulevise all discarded cards (even those discarded via prince or baron) are placed face up.

EDIT: ninja'd ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
The most important thing about having all discarded cards face up IS so you can deduct what the other players have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor is right.
Keeping them facedown makes almost every move completely luck based.
The game has enough luck on its own, there is no need to add even more randomness. The idea is that the longer one match lasts, the easier it is to deduct what other players have, and that should increase tension.
However, if you have fun with your variant, thats great. This is more important than sticking to the rules. And if you ever start to wonder why your game has so little strategy, try the correct rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks everybody for taking the time out to reply. I'll take that as confirmation that we've been playing contrary to the rules!

We will give it a go with all discarded cards revealed, per the rules. And I will report back, for what it's worth!

I genuinely have my doubts - I think this may make things more obvious and may simplify the game. I am not in total agreement (yet?!) with Mark - masking some information does not necessarily reduce or weaken the tactical decisions that you make - rather, it forces you to consider the different options and probabilities. But still, I am now keen to experience playing the game the *proper* way!

Cheers,
Nige

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all discards face-up, playing a Baron while holding a high card is always risky - if your opponent has a Prince or higher, even if you win, the other player(s) will have a good idea what you have and a good chance of taking you out with Guards.

With Baron-eliminated players discarding face-down, and Prince-forced discards face-down, playing Baron from Baron/Prince+ is usually a no-brainer - you've got a good chance of beating their card, and, if you do, there are no significant consequences.

With a Prince, obviously the ideal play is to expose the Princess. If the discard is face-down, then it gives the player targeted a slight advantage whenever they didn't hold the Princess. In the game with face-up discards, it's not a crazy move to target yourself with the Prince; with the discard face-down, it looks like it should be the default play unless you have a strong idea where the Princess is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Out of the Round" section of the rules states that a player "discards the card ... face up" if you are "knocked out of the round". We had been playing this wrong too based on the description of the baron not using the word discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Guarino-Watson
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the Prince's discard face-up is semi-necessary because you need to at least confirm whether that player just discarded the Princess.

The comments here are technically correct regarding the Baron in that his discard should also be played face-up. However, playing the Baron's discard face-down is a valid option and adds another element to the game. It certainly does not make the game completely random, far from it. It's what my group prefers. We find that the perfect information gained from the face-up discard makes the game too boring. You can find out a lot of information from a face-down Baron discard, from the simple fact that someone won but also their body language and what they play later. Makes for a much better game, people should try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Body language, right. Well, if you prefer a game that isn't Love letter with more body language, this is the variant for you.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Guarino-Watson
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a house-rule to a game, especially a simple change such as this, does not stop it from being the game. I was responding to those that have stated it adds too much guesswork and randomness to the game when, after playing the majority of my hundred+ games this way, I say that's far from the reality. It adds a lot of deduction, puzzle-solving and reading people's actions to a game that's not much of a game otherwise. And has led to far more laugh out loud moments and enjoyment than with the original rules. And surely this is the ultimate goal of game-playing?

All I suggested was to try it out . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game with a deduction element and you're substantially changing the amount of information given out. I disagree that this is a "small change"

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Urutsini wrote:
Adding a house-rule to a game, especially a simple change such as this, does not stop it from being the game.

Indeed.

When I started playing, we played tons of games where the Wizard (5) forced a discard AND the discarded card's effect happened. We discovered later it wasn't the way the rules were written, but it didn't stop that mistake from being hilarious. And being hilarious is pretty much what Love Letter is about, so whatever makes you think the game is more interesting is the correct way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.