Hide
19 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » General

Subject: First Time Played - Did We Play Correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Wilson
msg tools
Six of us played this game for the first time last night. I was wondering if we played correctly because we the police arrested Jack on the second night with little difficulty. On the first night we the police had tracked Jack to within two spaces of his hideout. Then on the second night we the police then moved to around possible positions of Jacks hideout. We the police then just hung around this area searching for clues. As Jacks moves decreased we knew Jack had to be getting close by so we switched to arresting. Jack was soon arrested. This seems like a huge disadvantage to Jack. Knowing the area Jacks hideout is in and just hanging around that area. Did we play the game correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WTH? No "popcorn eating" emoticon?

As someone who is interested in possibly buying this game, I will be watching the responses. Thanks for the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing the details of how you actually played I can't answer that . However we've played four times now and jack has won every time - although there were some close calls. In a general sense it sounds as if your jack didn't do a very good job evading police or laying false trails or anything tricky like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kissane
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the Jack player had a bad game, not too surprising for the first time though.

It is quite unusual for the police to have tracked Jack that well on the first night. Make sure that the Jack player is using his special move tokens to their best ability, they give quite an edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, it's impossible to know if you played anything incorrectly based on the details that you gave.

Having said that, it sounds like Jack had a HORRIBLE first night. In our games, the police are lucky to have Jack's hideout narrowed down to a quadrant on the map after the first night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap!

Now it sounds like the game is unbalanced, with Jack expected to win easily every time.

????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
Crap!

Now it sounds like the game is unbalanced, with Jack expected to win easily every time.

????
It's well balanced. There are optional components you can add to both sides that help balance it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure when looking for clues you are only asking about circles connected to the square the police officer is on without crossing any other square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
Crap!

????

My opinion based on the few games we've had is that it is very well balanced, perhaps with a slight edge for jack. There are options in the rules to give the bobbies or jack an edge - next time we will add one of these and see how it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game IS well balanced. Experience will dictate this, if Jack is close to getting found then he needs to snake his way to his hideout and not make a b-line for his home, otherwise it's obvious where his hideout is. Also make sure when looking for clues you only use circles connected to the square, if there is another square between circles then they can't look for clues. We made this mistake the first time and it was VERY easy for the investigators
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game balance depends a lot on the group, but that is specifically why there are variants to balance it both directions. For our group, with the base game, the investigators don't have a chance. With a few tweaks, however, we've found a good balance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Friman wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
The game balance depends a lot on the group, but that is specifically why there are variants to balance it both directions. For our group, with the base game, the investigators don't have a chance. With a few tweaks, however, we've found a good balance...

I would be very interested in hearing which those tweaks are, Mathue, if you're talking about house-rules!
There's lots of variants in the rulebook. Why not try those first..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kissane
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friman wrote:
I will try the official ones first, of course, but knowing about unofficial ones never hurts. Wasn't the "extra third move" a variant from a user here, in the beginning?

I'm not sure what the official variants in the new version are (got the older version of the game), but the house-rules I always use are as follows -

1 - Jack's hideout determined randomly at beginning of the game.

2 - Police can search for clues, arrest, or move a third time.

3 - When blue or red head of investigation comes up the police can "guess" the hideout location. They win immediately if correct, but only get one chance the whole game. So it is a gamble if red or blue comes up early (other colour might come up later when they have more info, or might not come up at all).

I sometimes let people guess at the end too if I am Jack and they have had a hard time.

4 - When a wretched is murdered, their origin spot is permanently marked with a red disc, and no wretched starts there for the rest of the game.

All of these obviously tip the balance in favour of the police, but so far it has resulted in a fun but still tense game each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desvergeh wrote:
Friman wrote:
I will try the official ones first, of course, but knowing about unofficial ones never hurts. Wasn't the "extra third move" a variant from a user here, in the beginning?

I'm not sure what the official variants in the new version are (got the older version of the game), but the house-rules I always use are as follows -

1 - Jack's hideout determined randomly at beginning of the game.

2 - Police can search for clues, arrest, or move a third time.

3 - When blue or red head of investigation comes up the police can "guess" the hideout location. They win immediately if correct, but only get one chance the whole game. So it is a gamble if red or blue comes up early (other colour might come up later when they have more info, or might not come up at all).

I sometimes let people guess at the end too if I am Jack and they have had a hard time.

4 - When a wretched is murdered, their origin spot is permanently marked with a red disc, and no wretched starts there for the rest of the game.

All of these obviously tip the balance in favour of the police, but so far it has resulted in a fun but still tense game each time.

We play with all but #4, and I have relatively strong opinions on #4 but that has been discussed elsewhere.

For #3, we play with the 'automatic guess at the end' instead of the red/blue thing.

Edit: We also laminated maps for the investigators so that all clues can be tracked thoroughly. Even with all of that, Jack still wins more often, but the balance is acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
most common mistakes i think when playing whitechapel

1. investigators may either search for clues, or arrest a space, jack simply gives a yes or no answer.

2. jack moves along the circles, police the squares, police may search/arrest only the circle spaces closest to their current square.

3. jack may not move over an investigator, he may however wait for an investigator to move past him.

4. the carriage ability of jacks, allows him to miss a circle, no clue is needed to be given on a circle you have jumped over.

5. the alleyway allows jack to move to any circle along the roads of any adjacent block of houses he is next to.

my group usually play with the rule that jacks hideout must be at least 3 circle spaces from a kill spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your point 3 makes it sound like Jack can stay still. Is that what you meant? If so, you're incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:

4. the carriage ability of jacks, allows him to miss a circle, no clue is needed to be given on a circle you have jumped over.

This is wrong, the missed circle is recorded on Jack's sheet and must be declared if the police search that circle for clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
gorkel wrote:

This is wrong, the missed circle is recorded on Jack's sheet and must be declared if the police search that circle for clues.

From the rules, in support:

Coach: Jack can use a Coach to move by two adjacent
numbered circles on the board at once like it's a double move.
Moreover, with the Coach, Jack can move through Crossings
containing Policeman pawns. The two numbered circles
involved in a Coach move must be different from each other, and both must be
recorded in separate places on Jack's sheet, in the proper order. Jack's pawn on
the move track is moved twice, and the Coach token is placed so it covers both of
those spaces on the move track. Jack can use three Coaches on the first Night, two
on each of the second and third Nights, and one on the fourth Night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Destroyder wrote:
DaveD wrote:
gorkel wrote:

From the rules, in support:

Coach: Jack can use a Coach to move by two adjacent
numbered circles on the board at once like it's a double move.
Moreover, with the Coach, Jack can move through Crossings
containing Policeman pawns. The two numbered circles
involved in a Coach move must be different from each other, and both must be
recorded in separate places on Jack's sheet, in the proper order. Jack's pawn on
the move track is moved twice, and the Coach token is placed so it covers both of
those spaces on the move track. Jack can use three Coaches on the first Night, two
on each of the second and third Nights, and one on the fourth Night.

Not sure how this never got shot down two years ago. But this doesn't support your point at all. It tells you to record both numbers on your sheet.

When the police call for clues, you tell them if the number is on your sheet. It is. Therefore you tell them. Nothing instructs you not to tell them.

Edit: On second read - I'm not sure which side you're supporting. I thought you were the previous person who said the number is hidden, but you're not.

It's possible I need to go to bed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.