Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixth Game: Through the Desert

Another game we had suggested to Clint as a possible quick game (and cheap now that it is reprinted) was Through the Desert. Clint now was interested in giving this one a try, and I was more than happy to oblige. Players each extend five different caravans, trying to score points in a variety of ways: connecting to water holes, connecting oases, encircling areas of the board, and having the longest caravan in a given color. On each turn, you get to place two camels of your choice. When all of the camels of one color are gone, the game ends.

After placing the oases and water hole tiles, we began the placement of our camels. Despite not really wanting to, I was the first player, which gave me an ostensible advantage in initial placement but took away one of my camel placements in the first turn. I tried to spread my camels out as well as get them close to high scoring water holes as well as oases. Once we finished initial placement, the real game began. As is usual in the early part of this game, there are quite a few turns spent trying to connect to the oasis spaces as well as nearby high-point water holes. During this mad scramble, I began looking for areas to increase my strength. There was one area that was clear enough that with a couple of moves, I could guarantee a reasonable area be blocked off, maybe more if I was lucky. While doing this, another area appeared promising as well. This one I could set up with a single turn, which seemed like a fair trade as it would get me more points than concentrating on the one location. Meanwhile, Clint was working on enclosing an area next to my first area. When he started encroaching on my area, I had to answer and block him out. At this point, Dwight began doing the same. He had already set aside one area of his own and started to block off my furthest expansion area. In addition, he was also getting close to closing off another rather large area of the board. After I closed off my areas, I had the opportunity to end the game and prevent Dwight from closing his last area. This was a no-brainer for me.

Final Result:

Stephen -- 81
Dwight -- 67
Clint -- 41
Steve -- 39

I've always been very interested in this game, even before I was able to get a copy for myself. Since I have had my own copy, I've enjoyed every game I've played. Unfortunately, I don't get to play it nearly enough. Maybe next year. In this game, I honestly did not think I was doing as well as I was . I knew Dwight was doing well, but I thought Clint was a lot closer than he ended up being. The two rather large areas I had enclosed ended up being more than the difference. I guess that just goes to show how important it is to concentrate on enclosing these areas. Our total game time was under an hour.

12/31/2005

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
Since I have had my own copy, I've enjoyed every game I've played. Unfortunately, I don't get to play it nearly enough. Maybe next year.[/i]

That's the way I feel about this game. I've never played a game of Through the Desert that I didn't enjoy.

-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play online, if you'd like:

http://www.ludagora.net/durch/index.php?lang=1

It's great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.