Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salmon Run made it's first, but not last appearance here on game day.

I introduced this as a very wet race game. The winner gets to spawn!

Anyway, this is a deck builder at its heart. You have move cards and also cards that can impede your opponents' progress, such as bears, eagles and rapids.

In addition, there are rocks and waterfalls making movement difficult.

By passing over certain hexes, you can add cards to your deck, but trying too hard can make you put exhaustion cards, which take up space, in your deck.

I managed to demonstrate this twice. Once to Carl, Tyrone and Bryan, then right after to Dan, Rick and Sarah.

The setup is random except for the fist and last board and can be adjusted for difficulty. First games play best with the easier boards.

Things started off quickly with Tyrone's salmon getting a nice combo of cards and pushing him past the first bear. He had one side of the river to himself initially, but Carl finally managed to snag him with a bear and caught up. The rest of us doggedly (or maybe salmonly) stayed as close as we could.

There was a lot back and forth, jockeying for position and lots of tired fish before we all approached the end of the stream.

Reeds are good for weeding unwanted cards out of your deck and they helped lose a couple of my exhaustion cards and finally got me close at the end.

It was me or Carl at the very end and an untimely eagle attack set me back and allowed Carl's salmon to spawn.

If you like racing, deck builders or especially both, check this game out.

This is a fast and fun deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.