Popular Tags: [View All]
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the "reformed" villains theme, here is Raven Darkholme aka the blue chick you should never trust.

MYSTIQUE

Edit: After several revisions, the following is my latest. I left the first cards on this post for later comparisons.

Latest round of changes.

I took into account that she is not Rogue, and that she uses disguises, misdirection, tricks and traps to get the job done. When all else fails, she uses guns and explosives (that's Versatile 3 on the uncommon).

I also streamlined the hell outta of her cards. I'll use fancier texts for some other character.

Hopefully this revision is closer to the character's nature and concept.

Common 1

“Deceptive Beauty”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Choose a Villain in the City. That Villain gains “Bribe” this turn.

Common 2

“Shapechange”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:
You may copy a card in the HQ that has a Recruit icon.

Uncommon

“Adapt to Survive”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 5
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Versatile 3

If you would gain a Wound, you may reveal this card to place that Wound in another player’s Discard Pile.

Rare

“Treacherous Nature”

Rarity - Rare
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 7
Attack – 3
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
You may play a Hero from HQ as if it were from your hand for free. If you do, KO that Hero at the end of your turn.

FIRST TRY, NOW OUTDATED:

Common 1

“Double Agent"
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 1
Recruitment –
Effect:
You may play the top card of the Villain Deck. If you do, you get +2 RECRUIT.
(Covert): If you reveal a Villain with an Ambush ability, you may ignore its effect on you.

Explanation: Perfect spy and infiltrator, but you will never be sure that she'll stick to your side.

Common 2

“Come and Get Me, Lover.”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Tech
Cost - 4
Attack – 2
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Choose a player to gain a Wound.
(Covert, Covert): +3 ATTACK.

Explanation: She knows how to use guns and explosives, and many of them at once. Friendly fire very likely to happen.

Uncommon
“Treacherous Nature”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 6
Attack – 0+
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:
Versatile 3
(Covert): You may play the next Hero you recruit this turn as if it were in your hand. If you do, KO it.

Explanation: She will bed you one night and stick a knife in a random fleshy part of yours the next morning.

Rare

“Got Nothing to Hide”
Rarity - Rare
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 7
Attack – 4
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Whenever you defeat a Villain or Mastermind this turn, you may apply its Ambush, Fight, Escape or Master Strike effect to a player of your choosing and you may ignore it for yourself. If it’s a global effect, you may apply it to all other players again.

(Covert): You may shuffle a KO’d Scheme Twist and/or Master Strike back into the Villain Deck.

Explanation: Literally she doesn't since she's always naked. But don't fall for her guiles, she'll frame you, throw you to the wolves and merrily skip past all troubles. Maybe the last thing you'll see is her kissing the evil Mastermind on the cheek as he flashes a murderous grin.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman P
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Man, you and I are on the same page. Mystique is who I was thinking about last night!! I'm wanting to make my own mini set.

Including a new team symbol (The Brotherhood) and making Magneto, Juggernaut, Sabretooth, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche. With the Mastermind being Mastermold.

I'm going the route of them still being brotherhood, but being heroes for the sake of a more mutant threat (Hence Mastermold) Like in the comics.

Here's some basic ideas I had for Mystique:

Shape Change: when given a wound, you may give it to the person on your left/right etc

Adaptability: Versatile, Reveal a class in your hand, Ranged etc. Mystique can be that class as well along with whatever class she already is.

She walks among us: You may give a card to another player, and randomly take one of theirs. When those cards are used they go back into the original players discard pile.

And then I also thought of a tech based card representing her stacking up on ammo.

These are very rough-just came to me last night, but I liked some of card effects I was coming up for her.

Keep up the good work. It's cool to see another persons take on the same character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha thanks!

I've seen a Mastermold at the base game thread that I think was pretty nice. Check it out just in case.

I like your take on her too. (She walks among us might need another title).

I think you are better at simplifying card effects to give the same vibe.

I tend to get a little wordy in the effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Agent: I think it should give you 1 recruit instead of 1 attack since the card effect results in recruit, no? Don't forget the plus sign on the recruit number in any case.

Come and Get Me, Lover: In solo play, you'd end up giving yourself a wound. Is that what you want? If not, you might want to phrase it differently ("Choose another player" perhaps). Overall, I'm not crazy about this one.

Treacherous Nature: I'd make this the rare card, and change the effect to this:

You may play a Hero from HQ as if it were from your hand for free. If you do, KO that Hero at the end of your turn.

Got Nothing to Hide: I don't like this card at all, honestly. Why would you ever want to put a Master Strike or Scheme Twist back in the Villain Deck?

I love teamcyclops' ideas for Adaptability and "She Walks Among Us"! It would make her into a "Rogue Lite" which seems very appropriate.

Adaptability: Maybe instead of copying the class of another card, you could just pick any class? Or how about you get to pick a class from one of the heroes in HQ?

She Walks Among Us: I'm not sure I like the random aspect. Maybe "Each player discards the top card of their deck. Play a copy of one of those cards." Basically, a not-as-strong version of Rogue's rare, "Steal Abilities". Not innovative enough? Maybe steal one of those cards permanently? Maybe limit the cost so you can't steal rares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Darth!

I'll work on her a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She Walks Among Us:

How about you pick a class and that player must give you a card of that class? Could combo with the HQ's Heroes mimicry.

Should there be a punishment if they don't have that card class? or maybe you draw a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teamcyclops wrote:
Man, you and I are on the same page. Mystique is who I was thinking about last night!! I'm wanting to make my own mini set.

Including a new team symbol (The Brotherhood) and making Magneto, Juggernaut, Sabretooth, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche. With the Mastermind being Mastermold.

I'm going the route of them still being brotherhood, but being heroes for the sake of a more mutant threat (Hence Mastermold) Like in the comics.

Here's some basic ideas I had for Mystique:

Shape Change: when given a wound, you may give it to the person on your left/right etc

Adaptability: Versatile, Reveal a class in your hand, Ranged etc. Mystique can be that class as well along with whatever class she already is.

She walks among us: You may give a card to another player, and randomly take one of theirs. When those cards are used they go back into the original players discard pile.

And then I also thought of a tech based card representing her stacking up on ammo.

These are very rough-just came to me last night, but I liked some of card effects I was coming up for her.

Keep up the good work. It's cool to see another persons take on the same character.

Should I combine our ideas like with Magneto?

I don't want to steal your Mystique if you are going to do her later.

I'd think of different mechanics than what DarthEd proposed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman P
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No worries on my end, I don't consider it "stealing ideas" this is just all fun for me!

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!

I'll get me some extra coffee!

I'm still waiting for someone to do a definitive Spider-Man or Iron Man since people whine so much about them being weak. They are too iconic for me though...it's intimidating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:

Got Nothing to Hide: I don't like this card at all, honestly. Why would you ever want to put a Master Strike or Scheme Twist back in the Villain Deck?

I know you didn't like the card, but returning scheme twists could be useful under several scenarios that either power up villains or bring about the villains victory via number of scheme twists out.

I was also trying to showcase that Mystique likes to direct enemies attacks to her "friends", buying her time to do her own thing and save her skin. Obviously, I wasn't successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-worked Mystique with suggestions from DarthEd and teamcyclops.

This time she focuses more on her shapeshifting repertoire.

Common 1

“Double Agent”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0+
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:
If this is the first Hero you played this turn, you may recruit a Hero from the HQ for free that shares the same card name with another Hero in the HQ.

(Covert) Versatile 1

Explanation: Subtly sets up for One Step Ahead to be effective. If there are no repeated Heroes in the HQ, then she's a basic Versatile. Adding the (Covert) makes sure that you can't use both of its effects together, nor can you make the free recruit even better (by having 1 extra recruit point).

Common 2

“Versatile Shapechanger.”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost – 4
Attack – 0+
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:
To play this card you must discard a card from your hand.
You gain +1 Versatile for each card in your hand with a different name.

Explanation: By discarding a card first, makes this card get Versatile 2 or 3 more often than Versatile 3 or 4 for the same cost.

Uncommon

“One Step Ahead”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 6
Attack – 0+
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:
Versatile 3

Each player reveals the top card of their deck. Play a copy of each of those cards if you have that same card in your hand or discard pile.

Explanation: She can't be Rogue cuz she only copies the physical aspect of the Heroes. If all revealed cards fail, well, she's still Versatile 3.

Rare

“Treacherous Nature”
Rarity - Rare
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 7
Attack – 3
Recruitment – 0
Effect:

Whatcha think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made an alternate Common 1...tell me if it's better:

“Quick Transformation”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
If this is the first Hero you played this turn, you may recruit a Hero from the HQ for free that shares the same card name with another Hero in the HQ.

(Covert) Reveal the top card of the Hero Deck, if it costs 4 or less, you may copy it.

added a sentence to her uncommon to make it less friendly to other players:

“One Step Ahead”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 6
Attack – 0+
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:
Versatile 3

Each player reveals the top card of their deck. Play a copy of each of those cards if you have that same card in your hand or discard pile. For each card you couldn’t copy, that player discards it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah!

Mystique is annoying me. Going over the design, she's copying like Rogue when she should be only disguising herself as people.

I got caught up on her mechanics and lost the thematic concept.

Teamcyclops had the right idea.

Sigh...re-working her...again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest round of changes.

I took into account that she is not Rogue, and that she uses disguises, misdirection, tricks and traps to get the job done. When all else fails, she uses guns and explosives (that's Versatile 3 on the uncommon).

I also streamlined the hell outta of her cards. I'll use fancier texts for some other character.

Hopefully this revision is closer to the character's nature and concept.

Common 1

“Deceptive Beauty”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:

Common 2

“Shapechange”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:

Uncommon

“Adapt to Survive”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 5
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Versatile 3

If you would gain a Wound, you may reveal this card to place that Wound in another player’s Discard Pile.

Rare

“Treacherous Nature”

Rarity - Rare
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 7
Attack – 3
Recruitment – 0
Effect:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman P
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm liking the changes.

Her uncommon and Rare are great! I like your "Bribe" on the "Deceptive Beauty"

The only thing I'm not sold on, and this is just me, is the shape change. The reason I was thinking of revealing a card in hand and receiving that class, is to help out your hand/heroes. For example Magneto needs an energy to get his +3 Fight and yo have no energy, reveal Mystique's card and choose that she is an energy and BOOM Mags is good to go.

I also came up with a common card called "Manipulative leader"
2 Recruit, Play a covert and you may KO a hero to gain +1 Fight.... But now I'm torn between that and your "Deceptive Beauty"

It's great that there's someone else out there trying to come up with the same heroes I am!! I too was working on a Doctor Strange. I had 3 or 4 different card mechanics going and I couldn't decide witch route to go and gave up on him though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
Following the "reformed" villains theme, here is Raven Darkholme aka the blue chick you should never trust.

MYSTIQUE

Common 1

“Deceptive Beauty”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:

Common 2

“Shapechange”
Rarity - Common
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 3
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0+
Effect:

Uncommon

“Adapt to Survive”
Rarity - Uncommon
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 5
Attack – 0
Recruitment – 0
Effect:
Versatile 3

Rare

“Treacherous Nature”

Rarity - Rare
Hero Class - Covert
Cost - 7
Attack – 3
Recruitment – 0
Effect:

Any thoughts?

How are these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why oh why did you choose such a low quality/old image for the rare???
As if they never spend some of their nice splash pages on her!!!

Love her powers and cost balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but pics that represent the point better? I'm trying to find a better quality pic, if I can't find one, I'll go with my second choice, much better quality, but not quite as to the point. Unless someone has a better candidate.

And my 2nd choice:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teamcyclops wrote:
I'm liking the changes.

Her uncommon and Rare are great! I like your "Bribe" on the "Deceptive Beauty"

The only thing I'm not sold on, and this is just me, is the shape change. The reason I was thinking of revealing a card in hand and receiving that class, is to help out your hand/heroes. For example Magneto needs an energy to get his +3 Fight and yo have no energy, reveal Mystique's card and choose that she is an energy and BOOM Mags is good to go.

I also came up with a common card called "Manipulative leader"
2 Recruit, Play a covert and you may KO a hero to gain +1 Fight.... But now I'm torn between that and your "Deceptive Beauty"

It's great that there's someone else out there trying to come up with the same heroes I am!! I too was working on a Doctor Strange. I had 3 or 4 different card mechanics going and I couldn't decide witch route to go and gave up on him though.

I'm glad you liked them!

Ah man! I made a Dr. Strange too! Sorry to strike first again. I can give ya royalties!

Your idea of Shapechange is mechanically nice but thematically inconsistent with the latest concept I focused on.

She wouldn't be able to be a Ranged card. She is not gonna do an energy attack, she can only morph into Magneto. She'll take his guise but she can't power up his metallic attacks. She can't even transform into metal.

That's why I chose for her not to copy Attack cards, because she can fake Wolverine's claws but they are not gonna cut through anything like the real ones do. The most she can do is fake she's Captain America and tell a bunch of SHIELD people to go die for him/her.

I got my inspiration after reading Wolverine's "Get Mystique!" story arc. Lotsa treachery takes place in each issue. Fun stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have a nice looking high-res Mystique on my card than an image that is the most faithful representation of what the card does.

I think we can all forgive the action/effects inconsistencies for the sake of beauty and good lookin' art.

Here's some pics I scrounged:

Thanks again for helping us out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange, blue normally is not my type... whistle

Definetly use the last two images!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the last two images as well! Especially the last one.

But I love the one of her in the middle of changing shape and the unconscious guard in the background! That would be great for "Adapt to Survive" or "Shapechange".

I'm really pleased with how well these cards are turning out! The latest effects are very thematic. Well done, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance on an update for "Deceptive Beauty", "Adapt to survive" and "Treacherous Nature"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynamoooooooooooo! We are waiting for your free time generosity and photoshop skillz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to get to it this weekend, but let me know what's changing to what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.