Risk: Star Wars – The Clone Wars Edition» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel V

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played one game of this so far. It was only my second time playing a Risk variant (the first was Godstorm).

I played the armies of the Grand Republic while my opponent played the Separatists. I don't know what my opponent was thinking, but he let me claim the Colonies and the Expansion region without opposition. This was a great boon to me throughout the game. My opponent had his power bases split between Wildspace and Mid Rim, but I prevented him from claiming an entire sector and reaping the rewards.

My opponent is a turtler. It's just how he likes to play. So, he instinctively took to playing the Separatists well. However, I quickly set my goal as eliminating one of his two armies. I set my sights on his powerbase in Wildspace and launched into it full force. Meanwhile, I used my other army to endlessly harrass his other forces and make sure he could never solidify a power base.

Mostly, my tactic was successful. Due to my opponent apparrently being asleep during setup, I had an overwhelming advantage during the initial turns. I crushed his army in Wildspace and soon controlled that entire sector. After that I made the mad dash to eliminate him from the galaxy. Sadly, I rolled a little bit on the bad side and was unable to finish my sweep of the map.

My opponent was left with using Order 66 as his only option. He rolled about average, but he failed to take control of any of my true power bases, although he did fragment my control of the galaxy. The bad news was that there was really nowhere he could put Sidious where I couldn't get to him. So, he parked the Emperor as best he could (on Naboo) and passed the turn over to me.

A card trade in and some brief battles later, I defeated the armies occupying fair Naboo and tossed the Emperor down a deep pit. The galaxy was saved.

On the one hand, we didn't get a very realistic picture of the game because my opponent handed me two whole sectors and their bonus armies on a silver platter. On the other hand, I felt the bonus cards provided by capturing the Separatist generals tipped things too much in favor of the Republic player. Cardplay is important, but purely secondary. This was a pleasant surprise compared to Godstorm where cardplay is more important than the warfare. I also liked the Order 66 rule and felt it really propelled the game. As the Republic player, every turn I felt the need for speed in my attacks.

We made a few rules mistakes during play. Most grievous (that's a pun, son) was we missed that the Emperor allowed the rolling of D8s instead of regular dice. Another little foul up was that we followed the old Risk rules I remembered for fortification (adjacent only, not anywhere you can trace a line to on the board).

Anyway, I look forward to another game. Next time I'll play the Separatists. My friend doesn't think they can win while the general token rules are used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCall
United States
New York
flag msg tools
That's funny, I've heard a lot of comments on BGG about how the Seperatists have an overwhelming advantage. Good luck to you on your next game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's brutal, yet fun.

This game gives the empire an extra chance to win after being wiped out. Basically the Republic has to win twice.

However it plays out like the movie which is great fun. Just make sure to handicap it by putting the best player on the Republic side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Dyck
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The republic does have a slight advantage but we simply allow the dark side to start first rather than roll to determine who goes first. I think it provides a slight balance to the equation.

Quite frankly, the dark side can't allow the republic to dominate areas too early in the game but turtling is a good philosophy if you can protect the tokens. The tokens are the key to the game. You have to play aggressive enough to win 2 cards per turn but if the dark side can keep some tokens out of the republic's hand until they call the Order (which removes the tokens), they will have a good shot. However, you pretty much have to wait until you roll a 5-8. If you call it too early and only have 6-8 odds, you will probably lose.

The biggest thing the dark side needs to do is get one of the cards that wipes out a republic team's cards so they can't trade them in for armies and capture Sidius right after the Order. As for wiping out a dark army, no good player should ever let that happen to them. With the change of command option, any player with foresight should not allow that to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the republic has to trade his cards if he has more than 4, but if he has 4 cards, I guess I understand.

I'm dying to play this game, but I never got a chance at it. I brought it with my friends and they go watch a movie. I brought it to church and they... seemed to pass. Bleh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.