Subject: 5-6 Player Extension ships in September! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that there is already a page for it on here, but I haven't seen any discussion yet.

All I am aware of so far is the Components List, but it is really going to be interesting to see how the maps work.

The extra hexes we are getting are:
6 terrain hexes (3 for each side)
4 sea hexes
2 pirate lair hexes
1 Large Sea tri-hex
1 Large Council of Catan tri-hex piece.

There are no new frame pieces listed, so I imagine that to expand the board, we are using the frame pieces from the base 5-6 player extension. Does this mean it's likely it is simply expanding 2 lengthwise? Or will another setup make sense? And how will these tri-hexes will fit on the board?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for September!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kosmos has put up the release date as 09/09:

http://www.kosmos.de/produktdetail-181-181/die_siedler_von_c...

No other info but the box design was given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nicol
Canada
Fredericton
NB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooperJeff wrote:
Does this mean it's likely it is simply expanding 2 lengthwise? Or will another setup make sense? And how will these tri-hexes will fit on the board?

I assume the council tri-hex will extend the two 6 hex sea blocks outward making the board one frame piece wider allowing for more room on the starting island. The other two frame pieces from the base 5-6 extension would likely go into making the board a bit longer too. I'll see if I can prototype out a guess later on and upload an image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the board will get 1 frame piece wider on both sides of the corner piece of the frame.

Here's one of my earlier guesses how to widen the board:

My guess is that the council piece would have the council island in the middle of the two "D1" hexes there, with the outer ends occupying the D1 positions. The layout on the right side could be any old shape - there's only one demand, that every unknown hex is adjacent to at least one known sea hex (or sea hex frame piece). Otherwise there could be permanent blind spots on the map.

Edit: I notice that the example above makes exactly that mistake...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcv jcv
msg tools
I wonder about the Brown player pieces in the Viking Edition, since they made the spice sacks brown in the 3-4 player Viking edition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, it's out in Germany!

This is just what I wanted to see:

No new word yet from the Mayfair website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Peacock
msg tools
Still waiting!!!!! Pre-ordered from our game store ages ago and still no date listed by their supplier.

I have to imagine they will make the board wider. Doesn't seem fair to allow 4 players to start with two hexes on the home coast and 2 players only get 1. (But in the Pirate Bay scenario of Seafarers, that's what happens.)

We've integrated every expansion into an "ultra Catan" game. Ready to figure out how to do it with 5-6 players so our group can play. Shameless plug: If you want to see what we've done, check out http://specialbuildingphase.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nicol
Canada
Fredericton
NB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
latest I have heard from mayfair was that it was coming out after thanksgiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.