Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to buy a Decktet but I notice you can buy two decktet decks at the same time. What are the advantages to having two decks?

Are there games that use two decks (how many? i.e. is that common?).

Is it best to have both decks with the same backs or to get decks with different backs?

What about other options, such as the decktet chips? How useful are they? How many are typically needed? They come in packs of 72 or 144.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few games that might require two decks: Bharg Deluxe, Dectana, Raft City. Some games might also benefit from two decks: Terrapin is the most remarkable game that, like Poker or BlackJack, would be gladly played with a double set of cards.

In addition to that, mind that the Decktet looks really attractive, and somebody will probably ask you for another one. =) Therefore, buying two decks at once also gets you a nice present or a game for your local club!

Buy decks with the same card backs if you ever intend to use them in "large" games mentioned above.

Usually, set #72 is good enough. If you want to play Terrapin with special chips and many people, or if you are going to make a gift for your club, buy big. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Neddie Knickers
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
BRRRD EMPR-RR
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the funds, I would buy a double deck (with the same back) and a large set of chips. I did and could not be happier!

Although we have yet to play any of the games that need two decks, I know I will eventually. The chips are great! I have used tons of generic parts in the past in DIY setups and such, and had no problem with the aesthetics for I am totally function first, but there is something about those suit chips that really appeals to me.

EDIT: And the Decktet universe never stops growing! Although a single deck and a small batch of chips are probably sufficient for 95%+ (?) of the games, you never know what might be designed next! Plus I have had ides for variants using a 2nd Excuse card and things like that.

If you think you will enjoy the Decktet...buy big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skifton
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go small first. It sounds like you are just being introduced to the Decktet? Whether you are or not, still there are additional cards that come with the single deck as aids to understanding the structure of the deck and for use with certain games.

Kind of the same idea with the chips, except you don't get any special chips with the smaller set. I play with 60 chips that I made myself and feel I don't ever run out. We play Magnate alot, which has a heavy dependence on chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you live far from the point of departure for the game set, buying many decks might help. I ordered many decks, and have already given away one and promised to give away twice as more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think you will use the deck quite a bit I would buy 2 as long as the cost to ship to you is resonable. As stated there are a few games that use both decks but not tons so you wouldn't really need both in order to get a good amount of play out of your deck. As far as chips go I find that 12 of each color (72 set) is perfect for most games, especially magnate, but having more chips could prevent you from needing to track down neutral tokens for games like Goblin Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSes wrote:
I'm planning to buy a Decktet but I notice you can buy two decktet decks at the same time. What are the advantages to having two decks?

Is it best to have both decks with the same backs or to get decks with different backs?

What about other options, such as the decktet chips? How useful are they? How many are typically needed? They come in packs of 72 or 144.

As other people have said: There are only a few games that use two decks. Those that do shuffle them together, so you would want to have the same card back. The pack of 72 chips is perfect for Magnate.

Mostly the double decks and jumbo set of chips are just there as an option for people who do want more, because they took no real effort to make (since it's print on demand) and they can be priced less than two sets (since there's a handling cost for each item).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to undermine sale of the suit tokens, but the item lInked below is the best game accessory purchase ever. $15 for 1000 1cm plastic cubes, 100 each in ten colors, 6 of which match the decktet perfectly. Can't go wrong with that.

http://www.eaieducation.com/Product/531004/Centimeter_Cubes_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Not to undermine sale of the suit tokens, but the item lInked below is the best game accessory purchase ever.

No worries about undermining. Given the cost of the components, I make almost no money on the TGC suit chips. The price for the chip sets is just rounded up from cost.

As for EAI's cubes, I actually prefer their stacking counters:

http://www.eaieducation.com/Product/530841/Stacking_Counters...
http://www.eaieducation.com/Product/534157/Stacking_Counters...

More ergonomic than cubes. In fact, those are what we used for a long time when playing Magnate (before the Game Crafter made stickers and chips).

I don't know whether it makes sense to ship to Australia, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Not to undermine sale of the suit tokens, but the item lInked below is the best game accessory purchase ever. $15 for 1000 1cm plastic cubes, 100 each in ten colors, 6 of which match the decktet perfectly. Can't go wrong with that.

http://www.eaieducation.com/Product/531004/Centimeter_Cubes_...

I second this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
Mezmorki wrote:
Not to undermine sale of the suit tokens, but the item lInked below is the best game accessory purchase ever.

No worries about undermining. Given the cost of the components, I make almost no money on the TGC suit chips. The price for the chip sets is just rounded up from cost.

As for EAI's cubes, I actually prefer their stacking counters:

http://www.eaieducation.com/Product/530841/Stacking_Counters...
http://www.eaieducation.com/Product/534157/Stacking_Counters...

More ergonomic than cubes. In fact, those are what we used for a long time when playing Magnate (before the Game Crafter made stickers and chips).

I don't know whether it makes sense to ship to Australia, however.

I ordered a massive amount of these and shipped bags off to people who wanted them. They are awesome for Decktet Games and lighter than chips. Since we tend to use the Decktet while out and about I haven't replaced them. All the extra colors are nice to have around for other games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSes wrote:

If you think you'll use the Decktet for solitaire, you may wish to consider a double deck in order to play my game Myrmex. It has been been my absolute fave traditional solitaire since it's creation 2 years ago (my son & I still play it regularly). fwiw, it has received favourable reviews from several folks who have tried it as well. For use with this game, I think it is an advantage to have the same backs on each deck.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.