L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a good solitaire war game, preferrably WWII. I'd like it to be in print, but if it's easily available it doesn't have to be. I was thinking about Compass Games' Silent War.

Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Tzanerakis
Greece
Athens
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was going to suggest Silent War but you self-recommended it... B-17: Queen of the Skies is a very good solitaire game but oop. I would also suggest VG's Peloponnesian War (I am Greek after all) but it is also oop...

Do a BGG geeklist search for "solitaire" and have a look at what other people are suggesting.

Game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of solitare games. Ambush is OOP but easily obtainable on ebay for a reasonable amount (around $20 depending on the condition). Patton's Best, B-17 and Raid on St. Nazaire are all good games, obtainable easily on ebay. There are many to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the WWII solo games I have played or owned, RAF, Ambush, Carrier, and Silent War are some of the best. B-17, Patton's Best, Raid on St. Nazaire, and Tokyo Express are some other decent ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Prysock
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is out of print so you have to scope out eBay... however, I definately recommend Raid on St. Nazaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lmyrick wrote:
I was thinking about Compass Games' Silent War.

That's cause you were reading my mind.

Silent War so far is an excellent simulation of the Silent Service during WW2. It's more simulation than game though, but if you love subs like I do you'll probably like it as well. Every sub is represented by it's own game piece. There's even some fun ones tossed in like the SSN-21 Sea Wolf.

You have the option to do a simple patrol (one to two hours) or the entire war (better set it up in the corner cause it'll be months before you're done unless you spend all your free time on it). You can even run into the Yamato and take her on if you dare...

Otherwise, all the other popular games have already been mentioned by previous posters.

Good luck!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'd recommend a game I playtested many years ago called Der Kessel. It's a very tough game to beat, and late in the game it seems you have few meaningful choices (which may or may not be historically accurate, I'm not sure) but beyond that complaint it was a nifty little game that had you fighting bad weather, dwindling resources, and an ever-tightening noose around your neck.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/9286

Looks like the game is still available on Thought Hammer and perhaps elsewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, just picked up Raid on St. Nazaire unpunched on ebay. Silent War also looks great, so will probably look at it again in a couple of months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to second the choice for Silent War by Compass Games. I like it very much but it’s not an action type game with a many different things going on. As someone else stated it’s more of a simulation which I find very enjoyable.

One game you may want to look at is Carrier by Victory Games, OOP. It deals with the carrier battles during the Solomon Campaigns. The Japanese always seem to get you just before you get them.

Another one to consider is RAF by West End Games, OOP. This pits you in command of the RAF during the Battle of Britain. Seems to get high marks but you’re the final judge of that.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a great list to Joe Steadman's list on The Dice Tower: http://www.thedicetower.com/dicetower/topten35.htm

I completely agree with his #1 pick of Ambush. I also have RAF, B-17, Hornet Leader, and London's Burning. They're all good but tough games.

Listen to podcast episode #35 for his comments here: http://www.thedicetower.com/dicetower.html

Using a similar system to Hornet Leader is Thunderbolt/Apache Leader also by GMT Games. It's OOP but you can occasionally find it for a reasonable price on eBay (at least I did).

Here a BBG link to Thunderbolt/Apache Leader: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2154

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Jones
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Lock and Load: Band of Heroes. It is a two player/solo game. It has a high Solo playability rating. From experiance it does solo really well.

If ever wanting an opponent there is a Vassl mod for the game.

St Naz, B 17 Pattons Best, Ambush all of these games are solo only.

I have experaince with B-17 and st Naz. both really good games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Fall
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minden Games make some solo games. They are published in Panzerschreck Magazine and some are also sold in ziplock editions. I recommend Reichstag: Fall of Berlin. It´s small and doesn´t take long but it´s still interesting. It´s DTP, so you´ll have to mount the counters. I´ve seen positive comments on their First Day of the Somme but haven´t played it myself. Commando Raid on Rommel is much less interesting than Reichstag.

I enjoyed B-17 the first times, but now I think it´s somewhat overrated. You have close to zero decisions to make. It´s often very tense, but it´s more like watching a movie than playing a game. Not bad, but not what I´m looking for in a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played East Front Solitaire (or something like that; I can't remember the name exactly)? I love the eastern front, but I don't know if that one is any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My all time favorite WWII solitaire war game is Panzergruppe Guderian. There used to be a computer version of it as well.

The great news is that you can play it two player as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa Solitaire is a quick strategy province based game that can be played in about an hour. It simulates the eastern front at an army level, so you can try out different strategies. Available for US$3 from www.wargamedownloads.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most solitaire wargames are older OOP AH/Victory games, but they do appear on Ebay. For me, Victory's 'Ambush' (with its add-ons, esp Purple Heart) and West End's 'RAF' are the clear winners. They both set out to simulate aspects of WW2 - squad level combat at the level of the individual soldier in the first case, operational control of RAF Fighter Command in the Battle of Britain in the second.

However, they also work as games - your decisions have a real effect on the outcome, they're not totally luck dependent (although dice are used in both), and there's a real sense of tension as you wonder if you will win or not.

I have to say I was disappointed in the past when I played some of the games others have recommended. I found 'B17' and 'Patton's Best' in particular to be almost totally luck dependent - you'd have the same level of control over the outome if you'd just cut a pack of cards and awarded yourself a win if you'd cut a face card.

I also have fond memories of Victory's 'Mosby's Raiders' where you control a group of ACW guerillas.

Bear in mind with all of these games that you have to control and manage the system driving your opposition. Consequently, these games are often more complex than a two player equivalent would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.