Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Easy tricks that might just save your bacon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I thought I'd start a thread for those very easy-to-do top tips that in the right situation can really save your bacon. Mine is:

Always leave one fighter in your Home System.
Why? It stops someone from using In The Silence of Space to snatch it from you, and it's basically free to do.

What's your easy trick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arandor .
Netherlands
Helmond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
So I thought I'd start a thread for those very easy-to-do top tips that in the right situation can really save your bacon. Mine is:

Why? It stops someone from using In The Silence of Space to snatch it from you, and it's basically free to do.

What's your easy trick?

How exactly will one sole Fighter prevent anyone from anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will leave 1 Destroyer in every otherwise empty system bordering an enemy, even empty space. What this does is create speed bumps, preventing an enemy from striking deep within your territory, as well as maximizing Deep Space Cannons. And when you get aggressive, they can aid a main fleet. Without fail the player will have forgotten about the 3-5 Destroyers and will have underestimated your fleet's might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
Arandor wrote:
possumman wrote:

What's your easy trick?

How exactly will one sole Fighter prevent anyone from anything? :what:

In The Silence Of Space works only if the target system doesn't have any ships. If there's even one Fighter the card is useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try to have one extra Command Counter in Strategy Allocation in case I need to do a Tactical Retreat. This is most important when I'm relying on expensive ships like War Suns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always make sure I know at least one secret about every other player that they don't want revealed to the public.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arandor .
Netherlands
Helmond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicoctopus wrote:
Arandor wrote:
How exactly will one sole Fighter prevent anyone from anything?

In The Silence Of Space works only if the target system doesn't have any ships. If there's even one Fighter the card is useless.

Uhm, not quite.

Suppose I want to go to your HS. You have a FF in your HS.

My invasion fleet is two systems away and in the system IN BETWEEN my fleet's current position and your HS is a ship.

Normally, I can't move through that ship (unless I have Light/Wave Deflectors, or it's Yssaril's FS or that Mercenary dude with the ability).

But with the Silence of Space I may move THROUGH (but not stop in) a system occupied by enemy ships.

So I move through (but do not stop in) the system IN BETWEEN your HS and my starting point.

To end up in your HS where I blast the sole FF out of the sky and proceed to take your HS for fun and profit.

(In other words: I am not using In The Silence Of Space on your HS, but on the system IN BETWEEN.)

So, once again: what exactly does one sole FF in your HS prevent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter which system you are "skipping" - the destination system cannot have ANY ships. If it does, you've therefore "stopped in" a system containing ships.

One fighter is enough to qualify for this. One fighter is enough to block a player from using the card to move in the way you describe, since that move causes a player to stop in a system containing an enemy ship, which is expressly forbidden by the card.

"In the Silence of Space" is not as powerful as Light/Wave Deflectors - the destination system must be void of enemy ships, or you can't use the card.

The FAQ even answers this question directly, on page 3:

Q: Are Fighters considered ships for the purposes of determining legal destination systems for “In the Silence of Space”?
A: Yes. A fleet using “In the Silence of Space” may not end its movement in a system containing any enemy ships (including Fighters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sig is correct.

On a side note, 1 fighter will not stop a fleet from moving through its system.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
bnorton916 wrote:
On a side note, 1 fighter will not stop a fleet from moving through its system.

Unless you have Advanced Fighters, of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
I will leave 1 Destroyer in every otherwise empty system bordering an enemy, even empty space. What this does is create speed bumps, preventing an enemy from striking deep within your territory, as well as maximizing Deep Space Cannons. And when you get aggressive, they can aid a main fleet. Without fail the player will have forgotten about the 3-5 Destroyers and will have underestimated your fleet's might.

Seems like moving into position like that would cost a lot of commands. Are you often Playing Sol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Palm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, i've totally played that card wrong (for like 40 games) :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.