Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I need some help.. again.

My friend and I want to play Axis & Allies, TI3, WoW and things like that… the problem is, the only time we can play those games is during our class brakes. Mind you, we’re both at college so our brakes are 2-3 hours long. The problem is… there is really no space to set those games up. Not to mention, the constant wariness about loosing the pieces and keeping track of the game with 30,000 people walking by you.

So, the question is… what are our options? It needs to be relatively small, and something that doesn’t come with 300 pieces. Also, none of us lives on campus so we have to keep it in our backpack at all time.

The main themes we’re interested in are: War, and Roleplaying. We’d like it to be a board game and not card games. (we’re a little tired of those by now). Are we doomed to play dominos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm...tricky one...

How about Memoir 44, that's a war game, of sorts...
It doesn't have 300 pieces, it only has about, hmm, let me think...'lots' of pieces. You'll be able to fit several games of it into a multi hour break, but it's only two player*, not sure if that's what you're looking for or not.

*The Overlord scenarios don't really count

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the WW2 fighter game Zero!, on super sale for $14 online.

Or Lightning: D-Day.

Or trade someone for a copy of Up Front if you get bored with the first two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
northrop wrote:
Hey guys, I need some help.. again.

My friend and I want to play Axis & Allies, TI3, WoW and things like that… the problem is, the only time we can play those games is during our class brakes. Mind you, we’re both at college so our brakes are 2-3 hours long. The problem is… there is really no space to set those games up. Not to mention, the constant wariness about loosing the pieces and keeping track of the game with 30,000 people walking by you.

So, the question is… what are our options? It needs to be relatively small, and something that doesn’t come with 300 pieces. Also, none of us lives on campus so we have to keep it in our backpack at all time.

The main themes we’re interested in are: War, and Roleplaying. We’d like it to be a board game and not card games. (we’re a little tired of those by now). Are we doomed to play dominos?

HELLAS (in print fropm Kosmos) and the 2-player version of CONQUEST (Out of print, but easily available on ebay fairly cheap) are the only true wargames I can think of that are smaller than MEMOIR '44 and not a card game; Hellas is a surprisingly small package but either would easily fit in a backpack without taking up a lot of room. You could check out some of the old, out-of-print pocket games Steve Jackson and Task Force put out in the 1970's and '80's (OGRE, INTRUDER and CITYSTATES OF ARKYLRELL would be good starts, for example).

Frankly, if none of those are working for you, I'd consider a card-based wargame, like BATTLE LINE, WARLORDS (aka RISK: THE CARD GAME), or GUARDIANS (OOP - it's supposedly a CCG, but it was really a boardgame played entirely with cards cleverly split up to be sellable as a CCG), or the card-based RPG game like DUNGEONEER, which has several fans here - it comes out in set adventure decks, and is NOT collectible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go ahead and recomend Zero! also. It's a very entertaning WWII air combat game. I found the feel of the game to be fantastic. Of course it is a card game, so it might not be exactly what your looking for, but for $14 bucks how can you go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake hmmm..."in 'College' and upon their 'brakes' eh?" methinks some "gaming times" ought to be spent on "studies"! don't "loose" any 'sleep' over this. oh yeah, and it's "dominoes"
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. M’44 was actually the first game I thought of, but again… the piece count makes this game less appealing (not that I’m not going to buy it... I’m just not going to play it at school). Zero! does look interesting, and you’re right… $14 isn’t a lot for the game.

Question about DUNGEONEER, do we each have to get the set of cards? (Meaning, I buy one set of Dragons of the Forsaken Desert and he gets another)? If only one set is required, which one should I get?

And last but not least… that puts me at $25 (if I buy one $12 set of Dungeoneer). I have $25 more to spare (+/-$5). Should I buy Power Grid or TTR? This is for my other 3-4 person light gaming group that doesn’t like Axis & Allies all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh goodie! At least you are receptive towards Dungeoneer. All you need is one basic set which would give you four characters and game play generally last about 30 mins. Buying additonal sets however gives you a little more options (ie more chatacters) but be sure to get one wilderness and one dungeon set (it is indicated on the top right hand side of the box).

Have you considered Men of Iron: The Rebirth of Infantry? It does have a few pieces but its mainly counters chits and each game play last no more than an hour. Downside is that the game is only meant for 2 players.

Lastly, get TTR:Europe for your light gaming group because Powergrid can get a little heavy and secondly, you can technically play TTR rules on the TTR:E board if your gaming group want something a little lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phoeniix wrote:
Oh goodie! At least you are receptive towards Dungeoneer. All you need is one basic set which would give you four characters and game play generally last about 30 mins. Buying additonal sets however gives you a little more options (ie more chatacters) but be sure to get one wilderness and one dungeon set (it is indicated on the top right hand side of the box).

But of course I am. I’ll be getting it all from thoughthammer.com. If you have the sets yourself, could you tell me which is the wilderness and dungeon set? The website doesn’t show that.

phoeniix wrote:
Have you considered Men of Iron: The Rebirth of Infantry? It does have a few pieces but its mainly counters chits and each game play last no more than an hour. Downside is that the game is only meant for 2 players.

I’ve looked at it, and I think I’ll pass on it for now. But I’ll keep that in mind.

phoeniix wrote:
Lastly, get TTR:Europe for your light gaming group because Powergrid can get a little heavy and secondly, you can technically play TTR rules on the TTR:E board if your gaming group want something a little lighter.

Thanks for the tip, TTR:E it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, the confusion. gulp I’ll be honest with you, I want Powergrid myself, but it took my group 3hrs to comprehend instructions for Nexus Ops (after which, they all ganged up on me, and I lost… typical in 3 player game).

And thanks on the Dungeoneer tip. I think it’ll be better for me to buy one set of cards for now, to see how I like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your help. I’m sold on PG.

Why oh why did thoughthammer raised the free shipping to $125 purchase. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario,

I was going to recommend NEXUS OPS, but you already mentioned that. Good thing about it is you don't need to lug the box around, as the 'board' uses tiles, although there are the '300 pieces' you're trying to avoid.

RETURN OF THE HEROES might be worth looking into - it's a great adventure game, lasts 2-3 hours, and has that RPG feel to it. Again, the board is a bunch of tiles, so you can bag all the tiles and bits into ziplocs.

MAG BLAST is a lot of fun. Although it is a card game, it's short and it's a war game.

HEROES INC is another possibility for you. It's a tile board, so it's another one that's easy to store in ziplocs. Game time is about 60-90 minutes. The game is a superhero theme and it's a blast to play!

ARENA MAXIMUS and PLUNDER also might be worth looking into if you want compact, relatively short, and competitive games that offer some interesting themes to spice up your game library

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely helps, but the more you guys suggest the more I want, and I just can’t afford everything. laugh

Right now, my list is as follows:

-Zero!
-Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord
-Travel Blokus

And Power Grid for my second group.

This list maxed out my total budget of $80. well… actually, my budget was $50, but what’s more important… school supplies or this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me recommend Battleground: Fantasy Warfare by Your Move Games. It's an excellent non-minatures miniature game that I really enjoy.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18985

You won't be disappointed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo Grognads!

Also, I think Memoir '44 is pretty great for a light wargame (though I don't really know that much about heavy wargames) but there are a fair number of pieces. However, they are a lot easier to keep track of than the chits of traditional wargames. And you can play it with teams rather than just one on one. But it sounds like some of the other suggestions might be better so I'll shut up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
You may also want to consider Bonaparte at Marengo , a fine game, which is a bit more towards wargames than Memoir is. The box is much flatter than memoir's, so I think it's easier to keep it between books and folders in your bag. There are quite some pieces coming with it, but I think less than in memoir and they are all of the same block shape, so there is no problem in keeping them just in bags in order not to loose them. In case of the worst and you actually loose a piece, there are even more peces in the game included than you actually need. Playing time would fit it nicely into your breaks. If the more wargaming and less roleplaying approach does not seem too dry for you, this might be an option

P.S. : Ever considered a bumper sticker: I brake for games ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One question? Do you carry laptops to class? (They did not have those when I went to college). If so, have you thought of using some of the PBEM software to play FTF on the computer. Cyberboard and Vassal work fine off line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jl4130 wrote:
How about some of the print and play stuff from Lost Battalion Games? They're simple, economical, and light on pieces but definitely not on tactics.
Oh, and Grognads, BGG just wouldn't be the same without you. May the wargame gods continue to smile upon your sarcasm and saving throws.

Brazen Hussey wrote:
Bravo Grognads!

thank you thank you, while I'll 'do' yet some MORE "good" here too then, and provide a LINK upon some FREE 'games' as well:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Be sure to "toss a " to the LIST "author" should you be able to 'afford' THAT!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me throw in another recommendation for Ogre from Steve Jackson games. I bought a new copy about 15 mos ago, so I think it's still around. It's under $20 and it comes in a box for a VCR tape (remember those?). It's a hex-and-counters light wargame and it even includes a combat resolution table. Play time is under 1 hr.

One down side is that you have to cut the counters out of a sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubilai wrote:
You may also want to consider [b] Bonaparte at Marengo

This is definitely a great suggestion, I’ll keep that in mind when I meet with him on Thursday to discuss our order.

mvonahnen wrote:
One question? Do you carry laptops to class? (They did not have those when I went to college). If so, have you thought of using some of the PBEM software to play FTF on the computer. Cyberboard and Vassal work fine off line.

No laptop yet, though I will need one for graduate school, but that’s still a few years from now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.