Subject: Texas Passes Abortion ba..rrr 'Women's health' bill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in a SECOND special session(also known as 'super special') Texas Reps pushed through the 'It won't ban abortions just make them functionally unobtainable for most folks' bill last night. Is this a victory for woman's health? Is it a victory for old white men? Is it a sign of changing times? Is it a short sighted overreach grab with long term reprecussions? Discuss.

Also:A Faux News article claimed that several other states have 'mirror' legislation on the books, does anyone know if this is true, and how much mirror we are talking? Actual mirror or fun house mirror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what women heath has to do with this issue. If anything this will put women at great risk, as any attempts to restrict abortion do.

No wonder Perry will not seek reelection, I doubt that many women will thanks the Republicans for looking after their interest so well.
This is a victory for a shortsighted and arrogant set of values that says we know what is best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
unfortunately this seems to be a victory for the morons that think that something not resembling life has more rights that the person it is affecting..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:
unfortunately this seems to be a victory for the morons that think that something not resembling life has more rights that the person it is affecting..

It might be more applicable to say that they consider it more important then the lives of any one else who seeks medical treatment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas also seems to be moving in the opposite direction to Ireland, which is amazing given the sway that the cunthlic church has in ireland..

at least over in ireland they had had recent victories for womens rights..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:
Texas also seems to be moving in the opposite direction to Ireland, which is amazing given the sway that the cunthlic church has in ireland..

at least over in ireland they had had recent victories for womens rights..
Maybe that is why. Ireland has only recently ceased (in effect) to be a theocracy. Thus they have more recent experience of what living in one is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, seriously, what the fuck? Faith in humanity at an all time low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:

This basically says, that they know it won't prevent abortions, rather it will put the mother at "deserving" risk. Of course, what is silly is that there is a bizarre assumption that only liberals get abortions when we all know that it is across the board, it is just that conservatives won't talk about their abortions. Twenty-two percent of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion, those numbers have to come from somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the repubs do anything shady this time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sigh, Murica. And Texas in particular: the state with most people writing to jails wanting to be executioners of 'em all. *sadly shakes head*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:

One thing the Texas bill did was to ban abortions after 20 weeks. Several other states have similar laws.

My best friend's son and daughter-in-law recently had a baby boy at 25 weeks.

To you, at 25 weeks it was "something not resembling life."
To me, its resemblance to a living baby was uncanny.

The thing not resembling life is now five months old, still looks a lot like it did at 25 weeks, and is doing well at home.

I believe that most people can see how late term fetuses resemble life. To call them morons says much more about you than it does the people you are trying to insult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Sky Knight X wrote:
To call them morons says much more about you than it does the people you are trying to insult.

And when I said this to the drunk guy who insisted I looked like 'annie lennox, but a man' what did my response say about me?

I guess that depends how much you look like annie lenox, but a man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
femgoth wrote:

One thing the Texas bill did was to ban abortions after 20 weeks. Several other states have similar laws.

The thing not resembling life is now five months old, still looks a lot like it did at 25 weeks, and is doing well at home.

I believe that most people can see how late term fetuses resemble life. To call them morons says much more about you than it does the people you are trying to insult.

Listen, no one wants to have a late term abortion, but it isn't infrequent that people must have them to survive. 6-8% of pregnant women get pre-eclampsia. If it comes early, there is only one way to treat it, delivery or abortion, if you try to deliver the baby before it is sustainable then it is technically considered an abortion. Eclampsia is brutal and "delivery" of some sort is absolutely necessary for the mother to survive. From my experience, can mean that even if the child survives they will suffer and die within weeks living a horrendous painful life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
femgoth wrote:

Another thing the bill did was require that doctors who perform abortions get surgical rights at some hospital. Texas hospitals routinely deny surgical rights to doctors who perform abortions simply because they perform abortions. There is some speculation that after this bill becomes effective that there will literally be zero doctors who qualify to legally perform an abortion in Texas.

The supreme court is going to overturn most of this law when challenged, which it absolutely will be, based solely on existing legal precedent. It is fiscally irresponsible for Texas to cost everyone this much in litigation resources when what they are doing is so obviously untenable. About the only part that will stand is the post-20-week abortion ban. Good job, fiscal conservatives. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:

Oh it's ok, he wasn't serious. Check out his oh so sincere apology.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/erick-erickson-tweets-link-to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
femgoth wrote:

It's also not the only thing this law does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
If and when I decide to have children, no matter what age the fetus is, I will always think of it as a child. It's a psychological thing when you are pregnant.

At the same time, though, I can honestly say that if something were to be medically wrong that I would be forced into an abortion... I would not want to be ruled to die just because a bunch of people sitting in an office thought it was more important to "preserve life" by taking mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
violintides wrote:
If and when I decide to have children, no matter what age the fetus is, I will always think of it as a child. It's a psychological thing when you are pregnant.

At the same time, though, I can honestly say that if something were to be medically wrong that I would be forced into an abortion... I would not want to be ruled to die just because a bunch of people sitting in an office thought it was more important to "preserve life" by taking mine.

Are pregnant women allowed in the carpool lane?
I'd take the stance of "WELL IT'S CONSIDERED A PERSON, SO THAT'S 2 PERSONS IN MY VEHICLE!" and see what happens.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
violintides wrote:
Are pregnant women allowed in the carpool lane?
I'd take the stance of "WELL IT'S CONSIDERED A PERSON, SO THAT'S 2 PERSONS IN MY VEHICLE!" and see what happens.
cool

You'd probably get charged for not having it in a car seat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I'm surprised that any of y'all out there are somehow shocked by this.

Did you really expect that Wendy's courageous filibuster was actually going to do anything?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Did you really expect that Wendy's courageous filibuster was actually going to do anything?

Darilian

I lost faith in Texas years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
femgoth wrote:

Whether intentional or not, you're almost certainly misrepresenting what he believes.

The Texas law includes requirements that will likely cause many abortion clinics to close -- with the potential result that abortion will be effectively unavailable at any gestational age for a large number of Texan women. This is part of why a bill that is, on the surface, supposedly about women's health, is being heralded by the pro-life side as a victory in the battle against abortion.

To infer from someone discussing this bill making a comment about "something not resembling life" that he means a 25-week fetus is simply unreasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Sky Knight X wrote:
femgoth wrote:

Whether intentional or not, you're almost certainly misrepresenting what he believes.

The Texas law includes requirements that will likely cause many abortion clinics to close -- with the potential result that abortion will be effectively unavailable at any gestational age for a large number of Texan women. This is part of why a bill that is, on the surface, supposedly about women's health, is being heralded by the pro-life side as a victory in the battle against abortion.

To infer from someone discussing this bill making a comment about "something not resembling life" that he means a 25-week fetus is simply unreasonable.

correct. something not resembling life doesnt include things that are alive or very close to it. at 12wks the blob does not resemble life, yet a system is being put in place that will practically prohibit abortions for the majority of people.. of course the rich guys will be able to take time off work and travel to the other end of the state to go to one of the handful of centers still offering abortions..

unfortunately when they get there they will probably find all the pro-life mouthbreathers that are willing to take a life in order to save something that isnt living.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
Did the repubs do anything shady this time?

They banned women from carrying tampons, sanitary napkins, and diabetic supplies into the Senate Gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Shocked and disappointed are similar, but not the same.

I am disappointed. Disappointed that Texas republicans are OK with wasting a small mountain of resources on passing a law in conflict with an issue that has already been decided. Pro-life or pro-choice, that decision is just flat stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.