Subject: Detroit area gamers question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Lovett
United States
Alpine
Wyoming
flag msg tools
I am visiting Detroit later this winter and was wondering if anyone could recommend a local shop with a good selection of games (my hometown game shopping in Wyoming is limited to Monopoly, Risk, etc.).

Thanks!
Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Barry
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only shop that I can think of to recommend has long since closed. The Northern Detroit area is barren of any quality game shops cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Guard Hobbies on 15 Mile (near Van Dyke) in Sterling Hts. (NE suburbs) is a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Salata
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am visiting Detroit later this winter and was wondering if anyone could recommend a local shop with a good selection of games (my hometown game shopping in Wyoming is limited to Monopoly, Risk, etc.).

Thanks!
Brad

Well I'm about to appologize for two things, one, you're going to detroit in the winter and two, I cant really help you with a good game store. I've live about an hour north of detriot for most of my life and recently moved about 2 miles north of it, and the only place I know of that sells any kind of euro games is Riders Hobby's on 14 mile and John R. in Madisoon Heights also NE of detroit. I personally don't like the store enough to pay full price for games there. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

On a side note I myself am interested to see if anything turns up in this thread and never even thought of asking anyone on the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By most accounts, RIW Hobbies in Livonia has a good selection of games.

http://www.riwhobbies.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riders is okay, but their supply is pretty limited. I think the best hobby shop in town for games is RIW Hobbies at Middlebelt and 5 Mile in Livonia. I live pretty far from this store and still will stop by whenever I'm in the area because they always seem to have what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Leach
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Masquerade Games in Eastpointe. They are located just west of I-94 on 10 Mile. They have a sparse selection of Euros in stock and they are also very happy to order anything for you and get it the next day. You could also contact Howard Dawson, he sells games out of his house in Grosse Pointe and has a large selection at 20% off. Howard's phone number is 313-885-0705. I know he is listed as a retailer by Rio Grande Games and Days of Wonder on their websites so he shouldn't have a problem with me posting his number. If you're looking for someone to game with when you're in town let me know. We have a group that gets together about once a week. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools

Sooo..I guess the Alcove is gone, eh???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHISTLE STOP HOBBY CENTER. 21714 Harper Ave. Saint Clair Shores ...

When I visit the land of my birth I go to Whistle Stop. They have a good, not great game aisle and I've bought some good games there including Magic Hill on sale for about 12 bucks.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Jung
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blovett wrote:

Further north in Utica, there's a place called Blue Dragon Games:

http://bluedragongames.com/

Their main concentration is on RPGs and CCGs, but they have a few boardgames. I know I've seen Dungeon Twister there.

If you're going to cross the border, Windsor has a place called Hugin & Munin, which has some boardgames:

http://www.huginmunin.com/main.html

Honestly, I can't really recommend either of these places for boardgames -- RIW is probably your best bet -- but am mentioning them for the sake of completeness (or just in case you were going to be wandering near either of them).

Happy game hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcove is long gone.

RIW Hobbies in Livonia has the best selection, by far. Their game shelves are not an afterthought to miniatures and CCG. They have a large supply of games and they always have the latest and greatest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a hobby store in Grand Blanc that has a decent, but not great selection. It's called Hobbytown USA.

If you're ever here on the last Saturday of a month, there's a game group meeting in Rochester called ROBA. Usually 50+ gamers, all are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to pile on... but RIW is good and has a boardgame night on Wednesdays.

ROBA also fun if it fits your schedule.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.