BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Fighting for 2nd place? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
copy cat
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Anyone know of a game where the object is to come in 2nd? For instance, if there is a point system, the 2nd highest number of points wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dojos in Smash Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian roulette?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
copy cat
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Butsudoka wrote:
Russian roulette?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
copy cat
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
Dojos in Smash Up.

That one looks like fun!
Looks like most points overall determine the game winner, but a particular base has the "2nd player gets more points" thing going on.

Anyone know of one where the "2nd place" player wins the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Society is sort of like that, with the rule that you win by having the most stuff only if you don't have the least amount of money; otherwise, the second place player wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
High Society is sort of like that

So is Cleopatra and the Society of Architects; the player with the most corruption gets fed to the crocodiles before victory is determined among the remaining players. And I can't remember exactly, but doesn't Himalaya have some similar feature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Everybody I know needs what I'm selling.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know a ton of games where it can actively become the goal to stay in second until the last possible moment (thus achieving almost the same thing), knowing that everyone else is going to unload on the first place player the moment their victory is in sight. I call this the Mario Kart Syndrome, but it can happen in many a game. (Eclipse, Munchkin, City of Horror, A Game of Thrones, Cosmic Encounter, to name the culpable ones in my library)

Does one pull back from taking first and stride in almost untouched later, or does one boldly seize first place and try to gain enough distance to adequately cushion the coming assault?

As for games where one is actively trying to come in second place as the goal? That would be very difficult to pull off well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Livingstone although not strictly speaking a second place winner, it can easily happen that the player in the lead on points did not contribute enough to the queen and is hence disqualified from winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.