Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Owczarski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I feel really stupid.

I have the Red, Black, and TWO Four-Color copies of this game.

I thought I had everything.

I just can't figure for the life of me how McGartlin or any of you nice folks are translating the rules onto a board with spaces. Are there rules I don't have or is there some simple, obvious conversion of which I'm unaware?

Any assistance most appreciated.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't believe there is a acual set of rules for using a board with spaces.I think it came from the rule of piting and falling 1 second behind the lead draft for each second you are in the pits.So 1 second =1 gap in the game so if you make a track with spaces you can show that by moving the car that many spaces back on the track.Eventually if you fell back enough spaces you would be lap traffic for the lead draft.It is not a bad idea really as in the regular rules if you pit and fell 17 seconds behind you would be 17 spaces behind the lead draft.You could keep piting and going back further and further with never going down a lap and then when a yellow came out you could go back to the end of the draft.So i guess making a board with spaces addresses this issue.Some of the new pit rules in the expansion pack do deal with other ways of handling piting.Like one of the rules says if you pit under green you go 1-3 laps down depending on which type of track you ae using(short,one mile,superspeedway).That would be a more realistic way of handling piting than some of the others.The pit rules add some more strategy to the game but just like in real racing usually the driver who can avoid piting under green until a yellow comes out by waiting a few turns longer than everone else can win easily as the other players could all end up being lapped before they pit.So each of the pit rules kind of have their good and bad points.If you need the expansion rules let me know and i can try to get them to you.They cover the rules for 2 lane racing and other things that help the enjoyment of a really fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with jbetz45453: There's nothing in the rules about spaces. If you wanted to equate 1 space = 1 sec, then you could get really realistic and find the average lap time for the track you are racing and make cars go a lap down when that is exceded.

This game has an amazing combination of playability and realism! and lots of plug and play rules That you can put in and pull out as fits your group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dave W. that this is a tremendous game, much better than its ratings on the Geek indicate ...

... To get back to the original question, first of all you really don't need a board with spaces as long as you can keep track of the gaps with roughly one car length for each gap. If you play with advanced game rules and stuff like green flag pit stops, etc., I find a set of poker chips or coins works real well to determine how many seconds each car is behind although admittedly it can get real confusing, just like it is when you see green flag stops in a real NASCAR race ...

At one point McGartlin produced an "Expansion Pack" that they sold at game conventions and elswehere for like $10-12 or so. This came with four track sections, each about nine car lengths long and four car widths wide, plus some additional rules and some special cards (called Good Fuel Mileage, Nudge Pass, and the Challenge +200 card). I have no idea if you can get these anywhere today, but they certainly enhance the game tremendously; we have used these rules in putting together our season-long tournament in Games Club of Maryland last year (I think there is a file posted on this here at Geek already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with a 40 space track Mike gave me a few years back. This is still one of my Fav games, I want more decks! I build a track and then did some calcuations based on what his cards said you lost in spaces for x seconds delays. Then I just extrapolated it into a table, with a set pit entry and exit time, plus pit time. You end up going down, the correct number of laps. Its pretty cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, if anyone is using the track I've took some photos (22 space track), a quick calculation can make the space/seconds issue more realistic:
Short Track: 1 sec = 1 space
One Mile: 1.5 sec (round up) = 1 space
SuperSpeedway: 2 sec = 1 space

I'm in the final process of creating a 1/144 scale track (I need to print it now) in order to make a light "travel" version. As soon as I finish it I'll upload some new photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavanized Yankee wrote:
I have played with a 40 space track Mike gave me a few years back. This is still one of my Fav games, I want more decks! I build a track and then did some calcuations based on what his cards said you lost in spaces for x seconds delays. Then I just extrapolated it into a table, with a set pit entry and exit time, plus pit time. You end up going down, the correct number of laps. Its pretty cool

Tom, could you geekmail me a photo of your Martinsville track used at Carnage and the rules you used for pitting? I'd like to make one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.