Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
In an effort to maximize space, i stacked a bunch of games, one on top of another. There were some that could go veritcal, some that couldn't -my Blokus for example, had to lie flat. Anyway, having held the weight of other games, the top of the box is now sagging, or indented. I was just wondering if there is a "reverse-sag" technique that anyone has to "perk" up those boxes once again???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same problem, and found that covering the box in gravy does the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Take the top off, turn it upside down, put it on a solid flat surfacce, pour water on the inside of the cover (just enough to get the entire area damp, but no standing water remains), and lay a bunch of heavy books down on top of it, which books are big enough that they just barely fit inside the box lid. Wait 4 days. Presto - flat box top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Werth wrote:
Take the top off, turn it upside down, put it on a solid flat surfacce, pour water on the inside of the cover (just enough to get the entire area damp, but no standing water remains), and lay a bunch of heavy books down on top of it, which books are big enough that they just barely fit inside the box lid. Wait 4 days. Presto - flat box top.

Are you kidding with this? Pour water inside the box? That just scares the bejeebers out of me. Hello mold, hello mildew, hello decomposing cardboard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
i thought he was kidding too!!!

And not only mold, but won't you end up ruining the box?? Like books (paper) warps when wet - no matter how much weight you put on the book after it's been wet, the texture of the pages will never be the same! Wouldn't the same theory apply to cardboard???

Plus wouldn't you run the risk of the colours running???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a joke as well, just less obvious than the gravy alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
jl4130 wrote:
Yep, I have positive confirmatin it was definitely a joke.... Now I need a new box for my copy of Blood Feud...

hahahaha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...drat. I've filled half my boxes with gravy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to be helpful guys. Sheesh, he's just asking a questions about a problem for most gamers. Patha, I just take mine over to Sag-B-Gone on 13th street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Way to be helpful guys. Sheesh, he's just asking a questions about a problem for most gamers. Patha, I just take mine over to Sag-B-Gone on 13th street.

hehehe... wow EVERYONE's a comic today!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, dry cleaners can make anything lie flat. Just take the box down and ask them how much it costs. Haggling is fine if you think they're charging too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
waderam wrote:
I think this is a joke as well, just less obvious than the gravy alternative.

The gravy thing was a joke? gulp

Actually, if you substitute spritzing a light, fine mist for the "pouring", it might help. Probably won't fix it (once paper fiber is crinkled, it's crinkled), but might be worth a try with a disposable box lid just to see.

Oh, and for the record? If you try the gravy trick, make sure it's red-eye gravy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A square bra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the lids begin to dish, you're screwed. You just need to use a bit more room so the stacks can be smaller; also make sure to keep like sized boxes together. I also find that if the box on top extends out a bit past 2 SIDES it can help alot too (not all 4 otherwise you end up with a warped bottom).

It's just a box, and just a game. As long as the contents are in good repair then you're ok IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caved-in box tops come with the territory. You know you have a heavyweight game collection (no pun intended) when some of your boxes start sagging under the weight of your towering game stacks.

Consider it a badge of honor, a rite of passage.

The best thing you can do is to try to discourage it from occuring in the first place. As locussshifter said, keep the game piles small and try to stack like sized boxes together.

Oh, and if some of your stacks are piled on a carpeted floor, the game at the bottom will eventually have its box bottom cave in, as well. So if you must stack on the floor, put a piece of wood or masonite down as a base, first.

But remember, a box is just a box. It's the game inside that counts, not the container.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Nope, I don't think this is a joke. He doesn't say to soak the box top, he says just enough to make it damp. This will make the cardboard malleable enough to take a new shape, but not wet enough to wrinkle. I have used an alternate version of this using Febreze for many of my dished boxes, and it has worked great, no staining or wrinkled boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do you un-sag a box that's sagging??!

Lid-o-suction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to clarify on my process. I spray enough Febreze on the inner box lid to make it slightly damp. As it dries, the box will actually bow out. Once it is nearly dry, I place the lid back on the lower box and place one or two games on top. By the time it is completely dry and a couple of days have passed, I remove the stacked games, and the lid is completely even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

Have you considered storing it upside down? My Samurai Swords lid sagged. I removed the game components from the box. Then I placed the components in the box's top and used the box's bottom as the top. The next time I pulled the game out to play (a month or so later), the top had unsagged considerably.

Don't put anything on top of the bottom of your box while you're unsagging it. Otherwise, now your box's bottom will be saggy and you'll have to unsag the bottom too.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Nope, the above post was no joke. Try it and see. Paper is malleable, as another said better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge

Iron the lids.

Now your results may vary, but my buddy D has had success with using an iron, with steam of course, on the inside of box lids. Then leave the lid face down under a load of books or other weight until they are dry.

I'd recommend practicing on old games from a Thrift store before trying this on your titles.

Game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.