Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving people only one day to respond to trades is really going to hurt your trading. You need to give people time to see offers. Despite the appearance, not everyone is here every minute of the day. I rarely show up on the weekends or in the evenings during the week unless there is something specific I need to look up. During the day I pop in and out but I don't always have the time to consider a trade offer right away. I generally try to let someone know with a geekmail that I'm considering an offer but it doesn't always happen. Your right it can be difficult to get people to respond to trades but that's the nature of the beast and cutting your trade window to one day isn't going to help anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where you get your 68% value for nonresponders but it sure seems a bit high. In the last 3+ years I've been involved in quite a few trades and in general about a third of my offers get no response and another third end in successful trades. I don't keep track of how quickly people respond but on average I'd say it's more than 24hrs and probably closer to 2-3 days. Depending on the person, the game, the day and several other factors, I generally set my trade offers at 3-4 days or 7 days and sometimes even 10 days.

Also, the issue of sending out multiple trade offers and seeing who responds first has come up a number of times in the past and in general I'd say the response to those threads has been that it's bad form to do this. Let's say you make an offer to 12 people for the same game. A third won't respond at all and maybe another third respond within 3 days. You trade with the 1st person to respond and depending on the game let's say it takes them 12 hours to get back to you. But the 2nd responder gets back with you within 24 hours and you have to tell him that you have already traded the game to someone else! That's one potential trader you've pissed off. You made a trade offer to someone and he responds in a reasonable timeframe and you don't have the game. You quickly build up the reputation of not being a reliable trader. There's a reason that the minimum trade in the trade manager is set to 3 days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.