Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Hatmaker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit hesitant to break this one out of the box when it came in a group of games that I got in a great trade. So many wargames, so little time. BUT, I'm glad I did. The gaming system is somewhat similar to GURPS in that it's universal for all the games in the series. There's two rules books, one "universal" rules and one that has "special" rules for your particular game. This sounds worse than it is... the "special" rules are mostly scale and scenarios. The "nuts and bolts" stuff is in the larger, universal rules booklet. This game depends heavily on re-supply, something that most tactical war-games tend to overlook in their efforts to maintain simplicity and playability. The game system works, and is still playable and flows well, even with this oft-neglected strategic element added. The "airlift" re-supply of german troops is abstract, in that it just kind of happens or not based on a dice roll, (until you disobey the Fuhrer and move those verdammter troops out of Stalingrad... then you're on your own, Fritz.) The thing that really scared me was the way combat (and other) odds were rounded. For instance, 5.49 or less is rounded down to 5 whilst 5.50 or higher is rounded up to 6. This seemed fairly ludicrous at first, until I realized that it had a lot going for it in comparison to "rounding down in favor of the defender." So if, after rounding the original numbers, the combat odds are 6 (rounded down from say, 6.4) to 10 (rounded up from 9.5), you've got 1:1 odds! That six rounds UP to a 10! To put it in the game designer's paraphrased words, "This prohibits terminal bean counting in planning attacks, and promotes a more 'shoot from the hip' kind of combat." Too true. The stacking rules were worded a bit abstrusely, but in a matter of a coupla minutes I was able to wrap my little mind around 'em. All in all, the combat system is imminently playable, the rules are sparse but interesting and engaging, and the map... jeez loweez! Suitable for framing! There's nothing I enjoy more than plopping a big piece of plexiglass on a big 'ol map and pushin' cardboard... at least nothing that I can do with my clothes on. The rules also have some very lucid tactical hints for both sides, and the beginning scenarios consist of just a few turns. (The very first is only three turns long!) Bottom line? If you can find it, get it and play it! It's tank and mechanized infantry warfare at it's most enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's a pity the system is out of print"

If you're referring to the Standard Combat Series (SCS), they are still being published. The Mighty Endeavor was released last year, the reprint of Afrika is almost ready for sale, and a game on a battle in the Spanish Civil War is taking preorders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hatmaker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! I was searching under the old edition's manufacturer, "The Gamers." After changing my search around, I found some more stuff. I just got this in trade from a BGGer, and it's an older edition. Sorry for the SNAFU! It really is a good system and I still highly recommend it! Thanks for the heads up.

powwowdancer out

Oops! My bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell, if you enjoyed SPII you should try The Mighty Endeavor and Afrika. TME will be, aside from some special landing/invasion rules, easier than SPII. Afrika should be much easier (ruleswise, but maybe not easier in terms of how to play well).

happy hunting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.