1812: The Invasion of Canada» Forums » Variants

Subject: unique victory goals/objectives for each side's factions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Baron
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this is meant to be a "team game" when played with 3-5 players, has anyone played with the idea of having specific goals/objectives for each side's factions to create some team tension as to where to focus effort?

This would be most applicable to the First Nations faction on the British side? For example, a possible First Nation player faction goal would be to have the western US VP objectives (Detroit, etc.) in British hands at game's end as part of an overall British victory (i.e., Tecumseh's goal for a native-governed territory?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... this could be an interesting variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Baron
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Uwe!

Looking at the game map, occupying the three western US VPs areas (Detroit, Frenchtown, Fort Meigs) could be the end-game victory goals of the Native faction.

The unique victory conditions for the two Militia factions (American or Canadian) could simply be to have no occupied VP home territory locations at the end of the game (along with being on the winning side)

For the two Regulars factions, perhaps they could be the "default" winner if their faction partners fail to achieve their unique victory conditions. This is a bit boring, but would reflect the fact that the Regulars faction (i.e., the player representing the two national governments) just want to gain territory for the post-war negotiations.

Hopefully we can discuss this more at GenCon - will you have a booth this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the way that the game allows players to move all blocks in an area (and encourages mingling) the ability to undo what your partners are trying to do is easy, unless partners start segregating their forces.

"Tension?" Yes. But also a totally different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the French and Indian War game with Jeph yesterday. WOW,

Now we have the British, Americans and Iroquois (etc) together against the French, French-Canadians, and the native Algonquins, etc.
The native tribes play a BIG part in this game. Again, this game feels and plays totally differently than 1812 and 1775. The new harbor rules and independent Indian nations growth are phenomenal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Baron
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that there are existing game elements that encourage factions to take care of some of their own interests, through the need to keep York and Six Nations as muster points for the Canadian & Native players respectively as an example.

My hope would be that this additional faction-specific end-game goals/objectives encourage a bit more interaction and debate between the allied players, discussing key objectives to focus on, etc.

The game mechanic rewards cooperation amongst the allies anyways, through the ability to bring more dice into play, and to allow for two/three moves/turn for a mixed army. This would discourage a faction player from being too selfish about focussing solely their meeting own goal, as the other 1(2) factions may be less likely to lend them support - in which case they would likely lose as a team anyways.

In theory, it would be possible for all factions on one side to achieve their unique goals if they play well together as a team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Baron
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great, Uwe!

That'll be a good one to have on sale at the gift shop at La Citadelle in Quebec City. That's where I picked up 1812...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they have it in both English and French?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Keeler
United States
Belton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
O.K. I'll ask the question. What French and Indian War game do you speak of Please sir?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the next game in our series. It will be available in French or English.

As for individual objectives, this is very difficult to build into this next game, since whole sections belong to the Indian Nations that do work for their own aims, but can still be allied with either player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Baron
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember if they had a French version of 1812 on display at La Citadelle.

If you do produce a French version of the French & Indian War game, you might want to consider calling the Seven Years' War (La Guerre de Sept Ans), as that's the term used in the history books up here for the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I will pass this on to the French translators. This will be key, since the French are one of the major factions in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Edström
Sweden
flag msg tools
I've been thinking along these lines as well. These are the objectives I've come up with so far. Haven't fully tested them so there are issues with balance that need to be addressed.

Obviously your teem will have to win, but for individual victory I'm thinking:

Am. Reg. - A set number of occupied stars on Canadian soil. Something like 4 or 5.

Am. Mil. - No yellow or red cubes on US soil (or perhaps less than 5 - 6).

Can. Mil. - No blue or white cubes on Canadian soil (balancing as above)

Britt. Reg. - A set number of occupied stars on US soil (or perhaps no lost stars on Canadian soil for more historical accuracy).

Natives - either as the Baron suggested or being the only cubes on a set number of territories (3 - 4). To balance it perhaps they should only have to be in majority on that number of territories.

I am going to test this a bit further but I would be happy to hear thoughts or even experiences from others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know how it works out Viktor.
Happy New Year
Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B M
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking this one over too. Each side would have 2 solo victory conditions. A side would have to achieve the first before it is eligible to achieve the second. The game could still end in a non-solo victory, but should be unlikely.

Prerequisite: your side wins

Solo victory conditions:
American regular: 1. lose fewer than X units. 2. lose fewer units than the British regulars. This reflects that the U.S. army had other fronts to fight on and wasn't too excited/ready to go to war. Their goal was survival as an institution, not to conquer territory.

American militia: 1. end game with X Canadian stars captured. 2. end game with no Native American units in America. This reflects the gung-ho attitude of the war hawks and a particular interest in keeping the Native Americans under control.

Canadian militia: 1. end game with zero Canadian stars lost. 2. Native Americans solo victory condition #1 not achieved. Reflects Canada's reluctance for the war and a desire to keep the Native Americans under control.

British regulars: 1. end game on Turn 7 or earlier to reflect that the Empire would rather have had those troops in Europe fighting Napoleon, 2. end game on Turn 5 or earlier. This will also encourage them to invade the United States and not sit back in Canada; should counter imbalance of Brits just sitting back.

Native Americans: 1. end game as sole occupant of 2 stars, regardless of which side of border, 2. end game as sole occupant of 5 stars, regardless of which side of border. Reflects ambition to end war with autonomy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it be 6 players, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.